Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Back from medical. The ins and outs. literally!

Back from medical. The ins and outs. literally!

Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Back from medical. The ins and outs. literally!

Originally Posted by Gray C
I am not happy with what my wife went through. She was not asked to provide a copy of her latest smear test, as others have mentioned. The doctor rang us prior to going for our medicals and asked me to bring other things with us, but nothing at all was mentioned about copies of recent smear tests.

Anyway, what she had done was not a smear test, but a full (hand in) internal, which I understand is usually done in pregnancy cases.

She was not even given a sheet to cover herself and had to lie on the consulting couch completely naked. She is quite traumatised by the whole incident.

She has told me that the doctor said it was a "CHC requirement" that she had a full internal examination and breast check. From what I have heard from others on here, these are not mandatory requirements and not every woman patient has had this done.

Can anyone confirm or deny this.

Not happy

Graham
Hi, I went to Liverpool and had to endure it too. I was expecting it though, because CHC requirements state it is necessary for women over the age of 35. I had also been worried because the regs also state a rectal exam is necessary for men over 50, but the doctor didn't carry that out for hubby. I don't have the link for the regs, but found it on one of the threads on here and had read through the whole booklet before I went for the medical.

We were told that hubby had blood in the urine and had to send off extra tests which proved to be negative so all ended well but only after a few days of worry.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Hi, I went to Liverpool and had to endure it too. I was expecting it though, because CHC requirements state it is necessary for women over the age of 35. I had also been worried because the regs also state a rectal exam is necessary for men over 50, but the doctor didn't carry that out for hubby. I don't have the link for the regs, but found it on one of the threads on here and had read through the whole booklet before I went for the medical.

We were told that hubby had blood in the urine and had to send off extra tests which proved to be negative so all ended well but only after a few days of worry.
Sorry to hear you went through it too. If it is a CHC requirement then fair enough, but there do seem to be differences between different medical practices. From what she has told me, I think it could have been done with a bit more dignity
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:15 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

... She has told me that the doctor said it was a "CHC requirement" that she had a full internal examination and breast check. From what I have heard from others on here, these are not mandatory requirements and not every woman patient has had this done.

Can anyone confirm or deny this.

Not happy

Graham
Graham

I can certainly say that my wife did not have to suffer any such indignities.

We were told beforehand to produce a copy of the most recent smear test, and that a new one would be performed if no such copy was forthcoming, but that was all.

I think I would be a prime suspect in any GBH claims against the doctor if I was in your position at the moment ..

I just hope that you don't get messed around any further, because I know myself that I am having serious second thoughts about this whole thing.

Good luck, and let's hope that the next correspondence will be your PPR ..
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 1066
Graham

I can certainly say that my wife did not have to suffer any such indignities.

We were told beforehand to produce a copy of the most recent smear test, and that a new one would be performed if no such copy was forthcoming, but that was all.

I think I would be a prime suspect in any GBH claims against the doctor if I was in your position at the moment ..

I just hope that you don't get messed around any further, because I know myself that I am having serious second thoughts about this whole thing.

Good luck, and let's hope that the next correspondence will be your PPR ..
Hi 1066

Like you we are having serious second thoughts about the whole damned immigration process and whether it is worth all the hassle, cost, and stress involved.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear you went through it too. If it is a CHC requirement then fair enough, but there do seem to be differences between different medical practices. From what she has told me, I think it could have been done with a bit more dignity
I agree, having had a recent examination during my routine smear test, this one was certainly not as dignified. The doctor did give me the right to refuse the internal, but I imagined that would have consequences.

It doesn't seem right that there are such differences between the different doctors. Hopefully this information can be of help for future applicants.

Anyway, I hope your wife has got over it and that you will be successful in your plans. All the best!
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bethan2
I agree, having had a recent examination during my routine smear test, this one was certainly not as dignified. The doctor did give me the right to refuse the internal, but I imagined that would have consequences.

It doesn't seem right that there are such differences between the different doctors. Hopefully this information can be of help for future applicants.

Anyway, I hope your wife has got over it and that you will be successful in your plans. All the best!
Bethan

Thanks for your comments on this matter, it is much appreciated.

Graham
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

milka is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my meds done in Jan at the Harley Street med centre, a whopping £210, but I had my appointment the day after i called to inquire.

I did my x-rays at a facility around the corner 30 mins prior to med examination. My doc for examination was a nice Oz lady, she asked all the usual questions, did a breast exam, no internal, urinalysis and bloods, which they told me on the spot came back fine. They did not ask for smear results, just for my GP's details. They told me that if anything was unusual, they would be in contact, which they haven't so I can only think things are all good.

From what I've read here, I would be mortified to be in that position, especially fully uncovered!!! Was there a nurse present? If your wife was not preggo then was there really need for a full hand internal? If the doc was going to be so thorough, wouldn't uultrasoundhave been enough? I would seriously question the ethics involved.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by milka
I had my meds done in Jan at the Harley Street med centre, a whopping £210, but I had my appointment the day after i called to inquire.

I did my x-rays at a facility around the corner 30 mins prior to med examination. My doc for examination was a nice Oz lady, she asked all the usual questions, did a breast exam, no internal, urinalysis and bloods, which they told me on the spot came back fine. They did not ask for smear results, just for my GP's details. They told me that if anything was unusual, they would be in contact, which they haven't so I can only think things are all good.

From what I've read here, I would be mortified to be in that position, especially fully uncovered!!! Was there a nurse present? If your wife was not preggo then was there really need for a full hand internal? If the doc was going to be so thorough, wouldn't uultrasoundhave been enough? I would seriously question the ethics involved.
Hi

My wife is not pregnant, so I do question the type of examination she had to endure. I know I am no expert, but it does seem a bit odd.

He asked his wife to be present in the room when it was done, but from what I understand she was at the other end of the room, and it was a big room, so in my opinion this was a waste of time anyway. If my wife did have a complaint against the doctor, would his wife not back up her husband anyway? I think so. In my opinion it should be an independent observer present, and not family.

Graham

Last edited by Gray C; Jun 19th 2006 at 11:54 am.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

bobjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Graham, dont know if it will help you're wife any, but my husband, myself and children all had our medicals done in Liverpool too. The elderly male doctor also gave me a thorough check-up, breast check, and internal. I was surprised more than anything as I hadn't been expecting it. He was ok about it and covered me up, he also had his wife in the room with us, so I didn't really feel too bad about it. I just thought if it has to be done for the medicals, then I'll just have to get on with it. My husband also had to have the cough test done.
regards jess
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobjones
Hi Graham, dont know if it will help you're wife any, but my husband, myself and children all had our medicals done in Liverpool too. The elderly male doctor also gave me a thorough check-up, breast check, and internal. I was surprised more than anything as I hadn't been expecting it. He was ok about it and covered me up, he also had his wife in the room with us, so I didn't really feel too bad about it. I just thought if it has to be done for the medicals, then I'll just have to get on with it. My husband also had to have the cough test done.
regards jess
Hi Jess

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds almost identical to our medicals. I do think that he should prepare the lady by telling her in advance and should also offer the chance for the patient to obtain in advance, a certified copy of her smear test results, especially if it had been done fairly recently. This seems to be the norm with other doctors.

Maybe I am making too much of the whole situation, but at the end of the day my wife was shocked and upset about how the whole thing was done. If she had been forewarned it may not have been so bad.

Last edited by Gray C; Jun 19th 2006 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 2:49 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

I don't have the link to the guide the doctors use but it is here somewhere (on the boards), and it does say that women should have a cervical smear test done, so it is to be expected unfortunately.

Some sort of cover-up would have been nicer for your wife, though. It's not nice to feel so exposed, apart from anything else.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
I don't have the link to the guide the doctors use but it is here somewhere (on the boards), and it does say that women should have a cervical smear test done, so it is to be expected unfortunately.

Some sort of cover-up would have been nicer for your wife, though. It's not nice to feel so exposed, apart from anything else.
Hi Hipster

As I have said, I am no expert, but what my wife had done was not a cervical smear, but an internal, which I understand is usually only done if you are pregnant?

Someone please correct me if I have got this wrong
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:14 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We had are meds in may, in Manchester ( lady doc), no internal no breast check, just asked when i had last smear. Watched her fill the forms she had in, for myself and the two kids, mostly just boxes to tick, only had to remove my top, was their a nurse present at the time? I didn't think doctors were aloud to do internal examinations without a nurse present. For 2 adults & 2 10 yr olds it cost us £390. I feel totally disgusted and i am so sorry your wife had to endure all that.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sans
Hi
We had are meds in may, in Manchester ( lady doc), no internal no breast check, just asked when i had last smear. Watched her fill the forms she had in, for myself and the two kids, mostly just boxes to tick, only had to remove my top, was their a nurse present at the time? I didn't think doctors were aloud to do internal examinations without a nurse present. For 2 adults & 2 10 yr olds it cost us £390. I feel totally disgusted and i am so sorry your wife had to endure all that.

Hi Sans

We nearly booked Manchester. Distance wise it is a bit closer. The only reason we picked Liverpool is because our daughter is being treated at Liverpool Alder Hey and we thought that if we had to go to Alder Hey for any reason it would be easier from the Liverpool venue.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:13 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sans

We nearly booked Manchester. Distance wise it is a bit closer. The only reason we picked Liverpool is because our daughter is being treated at Liverpool Alder Hey and we thought that if we had to go to Alder Hey for any reason it would be easier from the Liverpool venue.

hi their
Again, so sorry for your wife, i know how i would feel not sure how i would of handled it tho. Their where 2 lady doctors at Altrincham, we was only their around 45 mins and that was 4 of us, but we did have to go into Manchester for X rays, but again very quick. Manchester is a couple of hours away from where we live, but Leeds and Nottingham were more expensive, pleased we went that extra mile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.