Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Awaiting TWP option to enter whilst waiting

Awaiting TWP option to enter whilst waiting

Old Aug 30th 2021, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

just_jen_1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Awaiting TWP option to enter whilst waiting

Hey,

So we got a positive LMIA and then used our migration agent who our employer hired to complete our TWP application. We are still awaiting a response from that but it shouldn't be much longer now.

I know that from the 9th September if double vaccinated we can enter Canada where my mum now lives as a citizen but my question is, whilst we are awaiting our TWP to come through are we allowed to enter Canada and wait for it there? I'm hoping it's come through before the 9th September anyway to be honest but I'm trying to plan ahead incase it hasn't. We have eTAs that are still valid for another 7years so wouldn't need to apply for them but I'm just not sure an immigration officer would allow us entry knowing we are waiting on our work permits. Does any one know what the score is on this? I should also point out we wouldn't be entering on an eTA with the intention of starting work before we received our permits we would be entering and getting familiar with the area we intend to live in once the permit is hopefully issued.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 31st 2021, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

glsgls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Awaiting TWP option to enter whilst waiting

Hi,

We are in a similar situation (waiting for work permit) so recently asked our solicitor this question - we were told to wait as it can complicate things and is difficult to activate the work permit once in the country…
Old Sep 6th 2021, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Stewie73 is an unknown quantity at this point

just_jen_1986 still no news our end. We are between week 5 and 6 now if my math is correct :/
Old Sep 6th 2021, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Stewie73 ,
no nothing our end either although our migration agent replied to me and said that if we printed off everything we had sent in our application we could technically enter Canada on the 7th and apply and repay for the permit at the border. I'm too nervous to do that at this point as we are literally right at the end of this process now but if it carries on much longer then that's what we will do. I have also emailed IRCC via a web form as we are now way out of the processing timeframe initially given so hoping for a reply from them this week.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi just_jen_1986
I staved off of sending in the web form for now, however it would be very interesting to hear your reply from them
Probably come down to "We are simply busy - please wait patiently".

Although sounding a good idea re "just turn up and repay", its not something feasible that we could do, 3 young children and the mutt in tow on a different flight.

Old Sep 6th 2021, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Oh I feel your pain there. We have a 3yr old and a 1 yr old and that's what's making me nervous of just turning up. Our cat and dog went on ahead a few weeks ago with my mum who is a citizen and that was hard work trying to organise that...not cheap either but needed to be done. Keep me posted if you hear anything and I will keep you updated also.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 12:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stewie73
Although sounding a good idea re "just turn up and repay", its not something feasible that we could do, 3 young children and the mutt in tow on a different flight.
The vast majority of TWP holders on the forum will have got their work permits at the airport, that was always the easiest and quickest way to do it, before Covid changed the rules and meant they had to be obtained before travelling. So it's definitely feasible, whether it's worth it when you've already applied is another matter!
Old Sep 6th 2021, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

christmasoompa thanks for this, I guess what's made me nervous about doing this is the amount of documentation we needed to complete for our agent in terms of the application, the supporting documents etc. In my head I'm thinking, if it takes this long for it to be processed online how can a border officer make a decision so quickly as to whether we get a permit or not? We got an LMIA and myself and partner and one of our children has an eTA already but our youngest doesn't have an eTA, the LMIA is for my partner's job and I was applying for an open work permit off the back of his and I assume a visitor visa has been applied for our children.

Having to pay the government fee again for the permits isn't the issue, I guess I just don't want to do the long haul flight with a 1 yr old and a 3yr old and get there and end up being there for absolute hours whilst they make a decision whilst trying to occupy our children who will be tired and cranky.
Or worse be turned away for whatever reason...everything checks out with is, we have the LMIA, we have the job offer letter, we have criminal record checks we have had medicals done, everything is literally done and boxed off I'm just so worried we get refused with two babies in tow 😣

Last edited by just_jen_1986; Sep 6th 2021 at 1:07 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by just_jen_1986
christmasoompa thanks for this, I guess what's made me nervous about doing this is the amount of documentation we needed to complete for our agent in terms of the application, the supporting documents etc. In my head I'm thinking, if it takes this long for it to be processed online how can a border officer make a decision so quickly as to whether we get a permit or not? We got an LMIA and myself and partner and one of our children has an eTA already but our youngest doesn't have an eTA, the LMIA is for my partner's job and I was applying for an open work permit off the back of his and I assume a visitor visa has been applied for our children.

Having to pay the government fee again for the permits isn't the issue, I guess I just don't want to do the long haul flight with a 1 yr old and a 3yr old and get there and end up being there for absolute hours whilst they make a decision whilst trying to occupy our children who will be tired and cranky.
Or worse be turned away for whatever reason...everything checks out with is, we have the LMIA, we have the job offer letter, we have criminal record checks we have had medicals done, everything is literally done and boxed off I'm just so worried we get refused with two babies in tow 😣
What kind of work permit have you applied for? Police certs aren't normally required for work permits, if you've had medicals then I assume you'll be working in one of the fields that requires it i.e. with children or in healthcare?

These links may help if you did decide to go down that route - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:...o_apply-Canada

And from the official source (scroll down the page) - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...apply/poe.html

Edit (just spotted something else in your post): visitor visas are only for those from certain countries, your children wouldn't need them if they're from the UK?

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 6th 2021 at 1:16 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

The LMIA was granted for Dual Intent I recall it saying at the top. We were informed to have the police check and the medical carried out as we would need them for PR and to just get them done now to save time later when we apply through the BCPNP later down the line.

I will take a look at the links you've given thanks again ☺️ ps. In your opinion do you think it's worth just going on ahead and getting the permit at the border and will it not mess up the system the fact we have already applied?

Just saw your update regarding visitor visas...will I still need to get Ruby an eTA prior to flying if we decide to get permits at the border she's 1yr old?
Old Sep 6th 2021, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

christmasoompa hey I've just been reading a page on the government website about what to expect at the border and it says the following

"You present your documentsYou may need to show proof that your work permit application was approved. One way to do this is to show the border services officer your port of entry letter of introduction"

I'm trying really hard to follow what's said on the official website but I'm genuinely struggling here. Does that mean that without a letter of introduction I cannot turn up at the border in the hope of getting the work permit? I've already applied online and we are in the process of waiting for approval, but haven't received any letter of introduction as of yet. Does it go against us that we have already applied and are in the process or is it irrelevant when turning up at the border with all the supporting documents and application needed to apply for the permit?

I'm so sorry I know this is basic to a lot of people but I'm honestly baffled by it all. Thank you
Old Sep 7th 2021, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Can you give us a link to the page you’re quoting? The LOI is what you’ll get having applied via the visa office - you don’t actually get your work permit until you arrive in Canada anyway.

If you did apply at POE then you wouldn’t need the LOI first.

Old Sep 10th 2021, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

just_jen_1986 I finally completed the webform today as we are 6 weeks and 3 days in. Explained that when we started it was 3 weeks, and once biometrics was submitted it was 4 weeks. Lets see what comes back, I think the last time it was near a week before we got a reply from the webform.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

just_jen_1986 We have a reply from the webform we completed yesterday, that being 6 weeks 3 days from Biometrics which I understand is when it is "submitted" from.
It is a standard copy/paste job I would say, T.L.D.R, = Because of the Afghanistan situation, priorities and personnel have been prioritised for that because of the influx of enquiries.

-----Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

In order to respond to a high volume of enquiries related to the crisis in Afghanistan, we have needed to shift resources in our Client Support Centre. This will impact our ability to respond to some of your enquiries.

We will respond to these priority enquiries only:

· Clients in crisis situations (like those affected by the situation in Afghanistan)
· Clients facing vulnerable circumstances (emergency and urgent requests)
· Clients who need to tell us about a change in their circumstances, which has a direct impact on their application (like marriage, birth of a child, or similar)
· Clients who are submitting documents requested by one of our officers
· Changes in contact information
· Requests to withdraw an application or refunds

If your enquiry is NOT one of the priority enquiries listed above, you will not receive a reply.

If you included attachments with your enquiry, rest assured that they will be added to your file shortly.

Enquiries about applications

Even if you haven’t heard from us recently, your application remains in process. You don’t need to do anything else at this time. We’ll contact you if we need more information. You can also check the status of your application online.

We strongly invite you to use the available self-serve options that might be helpful to you on IRCC’s websiteincluding:

· Help Centre - To find answers, you may consult the different sections or type keywords related to your question.

We understand that timely access to client support is important. Thank you for your patience.

Please do not reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

www.cic.gc.ca

-----
Old Sep 11th 2021, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by just_jen_1986
christmasoompa hey I've just been reading a page on the government website about what to expect at the border and it says the following

"You present your documentsYou may need to show proof that your work permit application was approved. One way to do this is to show the border services officer your port of entry letter of introduction"

I'm trying really hard to follow what's said on the official website but I'm genuinely struggling here. Does that mean that without a letter of introduction I cannot turn up at the border in the hope of getting the work permit? I've already applied online and we are in the process of waiting for approval, but haven't received any letter of introduction as of yet. Does it go against us that we have already applied and are in the process or is it irrelevant when turning up at the border with all the supporting documents and application needed to apply for the permit?

I'm so sorry I know this is basic to a lot of people but I'm honestly baffled by it all. Thank you
If you continue to read the section you have quoted from it basically says "IF you have applied online...."- but you will be applying at the Port of Entry.

One way to do this is to show the border services officer your port of entry letter of introduction. You’ll get this letter if you
  • applied online or...
As you don't have an LOI- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...apply/poe.html

and the updated section: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

Eligibility requirements if you apply when you enter Canada at a port of entry

However, you can apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you’re eligible.

To apply at a port of entry (POE), you must be
and https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...etermine-fully

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 11th 2021 at 3:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.