assessing language skills

Old May 13th 2004, 1:11 am
Just Joined

ione is an unknown quantity at this point
Default assessing language skills

hello there! i'm not sure if i'm interpreting this right, but it shows on the IELTS test score equivalency chart that for high proficiency, 4 points is awarded if "first official language;" and 2 points is awarded if "second official language." does this mean that i only get 2 points because english is not my native tongue, assuming that i receive a band score of 7 on the IELTS exam?
Old May 13th 2004, 1:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: assessing language skills

It applies to Canadian official languages - English and French. If you claim proficiency in both then one of them is the first and the other is the second official language. If you claim proficiency in one official language only and have 7.0 or better in all 4 skills then you'll get 16 points. If you would claim French also then it would be a second official language and points would be awarded accordingly to the chart.

Originally posted by ione
hello there! i'm not sure if i'm interpreting this right, but it shows on the IELTS test score equivalency chart that for high proficiency, 4 points is awarded if "first official language;" and 2 points is awarded if "second official language." does this mean that i only get 2 points because english is not my native tongue, assuming that i receive a band score of 7 on the IELTS exam?