Wikiposts

Asking a MP for help?

Old May 11th 2005, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

jordan123 is on a distinguished road
Default Asking a MP for help?

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you or if you know of anyone that asked an Canadian MP to look into their Immgration file while it is being processed in the hope of speeding up the processing timeline.

If you have asked what was the outcome? or do you think asking the MP could harm your application?

Thx
Old May 11th 2005, 5:10 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Asking a MP for help?

What class did you apply under? MP's cannot speed up anything - they may send inquiry, but that's about all they can do.

Originally Posted by jordan123
Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you or if you know of anyone that asked an Canadian MP to look into their Immgration file while it is being processed in the hope of speeding up the processing timeline.

If you have asked what was the outcome? or do you think asking the MP could harm your application?

Thx
Old May 11th 2005, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
What class did you apply under? MP's cannot speed up anything - they may send inquiry, but that's about all they can do.
Hi Andrew,

I applied under Skilled Worker (London). Do you think it would hurt my application by asking a MP to look into it or would I get blacklisted in any way?

Thx in advance for your response.
Old May 11th 2005, 6:54 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew,

I applied under Skilled Worker (London). Do you think it would hurt my application by asking a MP to look into it or would I get blacklisted in any way?

More likely to act in a spousal application as the spouse might be a voter. For skilled worker an MP probably doesnt care as you arent going to be voting for at least three years.

Cant imagine it would do any harm, black listing is not the canadian way, but the average MP will be more focussed on matters that matter to his constituents, or which will garner some votes, so I doubt if anything will come of it.
Old May 11th 2005, 8:33 am

You are not a constituent (voter), so I don't see any reason for asking MP for help nor reason why MP would feel any obligation to do anything.

Only in spousal cases (and only rarely anyway) a Canadian sponsor may ask his/her MP for help and it can only result in inquiry sent to visa post, nothing else.

Help of MP's is overrated in all Canadian immigration forums, forget it. You may try it though but if you are close to end of process and your file has to be taken out of queue just to reply to MP's question you will waste processing time, not gain anything.

Hi Andrew,

Old May 11th 2005, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

You are not a constituent (voter), so I don't see any reason for asking MP for help nor reason why MP would feel any obligation to do anything.

Only in spousal cases (and only rarely anyway) a Canadian sponsor may ask his/her MP for help and it can only result in inquiry sent to visa post, nothing else.

Help of MP's is overrated in all Canadian immigration forums, forget it. You may try it though but if you are close to end of process and your file has to be taken out of queue just to reply to MP's question you will waste processing time, not gain anything.
Thanks Andrew - only 8 months into my application at the moment......
Old May 11th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Don't rock the boat... Anyway by the time most MP's get off their leather clad armchairs...you'll have your visa
Old May 11th 2005, 9:56 am

Again - no MP can speed up process. Only if there is something wrong, file is left forgotten well beyong published processing standards then inquiry may help wake it up, nothing else.

If you won't hear anything from visa CHC London for at least 24 months from AOR letter then status inquiry may be justified.

There is no way to jump to the front of the queue, it just doesn't work that way. The best thing to do is always to make sure that application package is perfectly prepared, that all supporting evidence is conclusive, that nothing is left to questions or interpretation and that all predictable follow-up requests, questions and doubts are fully and conclusivelly addressed with the initial application package. Failing to do so usually results in additional delays well beyond average processing times. Every time visa post needs to ask you for something additional it adds at least 3 to 5 months to the process. Every time intelligence and security agencies conducting security check need additional info it adds months again. Etc., etc. ....

Instead of trying to jump the queue I would suggest you to concentrate on finding out if there is a need for improving your application package, especially if you left anything open to questions or doubts and/or not conclusivelly documented. In many cases simply submitting the minimum required documents as per checklist is not enough to make conclusive case.

Old May 11th 2005, 10:52 am
Finally it happened

pattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura about

Again - no MP can speed up process. Only if there is something wrong, file is left forgotten well beyong published processing standards then inquiry may help wake it up, nothing else.

If you won't hear anything from visa CHC London for at least 24 months from AOR letter then status inquiry may be justified.

There is no way to jump to the front of the queue, it just doesn't work that way. The best thing to do is always to make sure that application package is perfectly prepared, that all supporting evidence is conclusive, that nothing is left to questions or interpretation and that all predictable follow-up requests, questions and doubts are fully and conclusivelly addressed with the initial application package. Failing to do so usually results in additional delays well beyond average processing times. Every time visa post needs to ask you for something additional it adds at least 3 to 5 months to the process. Every time intelligence and security agencies conducting security check need additional info it adds months again. Etc., etc. ....

Instead of trying to jump the queue I would suggest you to concentrate on finding out if there is a need for improving your application package, especially if you left anything open to questions or doubts and/or not conclusivelly documented. In many cases simply submitting the minimum required documents as per checklist is not enough to make conclusive case.
Recently, I approached our local MP who was generous to make an enquiry on my behalf. CIC Buffalo responded to him next day that they are waiting for background check results which is exactly the same that I found from my caips notes a month ago.

I have applied under skilled worker category.
Old May 11th 2005, 10:59 am

Exactly, just the info, nothing else.

Originally Posted by pattu
Recently, I approached our local MP who was generous to make an enquiry on my behalf. CIC Buffalo responded to him next day that they are waiting for background check results which is exactly the same that I found from my caips notes a month ago.

I have applied under skilled worker category.
Old May 11th 2005, 2:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

An MP's intervention can also help in having a case looked at again if there is a clear case of the immigration laws not being applied correctly (unusual).

Or if there is a good case to give an application expedited consideration, although the reasons must go beyond personal convenience. The national interest of Canada, or compelling issues relating to the welfare of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, might be a potential reason.

The other circumstance in which an MP's intervention may assist is where a case is going to come down to the discretion of the Minister, but again reasons going beyond personal convenience are usually required.

Jeremy
Old May 11th 2005, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

knah is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any way in which an applicant (skilled worker) residing outside of Canada (say, Malaysia) could request an MP for help?

Originally Posted by JAJ
An MP's intervention can also help in having a case looked at again if there is a clear case of the immigration laws not being applied correctly (unusual).

Or if there is a good case to give an application expedited consideration, although the reasons must go beyond personal convenience. The national interest of Canada, or compelling issues relating to the welfare of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, might be a potential reason.

The other circumstance in which an MP's intervention may assist is where a case is going to come down to the discretion of the Minister, but again reasons going beyond personal convenience are usually required.

Jeremy
Old May 11th 2005, 4:54 pm

No way, sorry. It is the constituent residing in MP's riding who may ask for help, not a foreigner abroad.

Originally Posted by knah
Is there any way in which an applicant (skilled worker) residing outside of Canada (say, Malaysia) could request an MP for help?
Old May 11th 2005, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

If you're 8 months into the wait chances are (hopefully) that you are more than halfway there to getting requests for medicals. I know the points have been dropped and longer processing times are anticipated, but it's just a case of sweating it out. But do take your application out from time to time, review it and if you feel you can strengthen it, then send relevant documenatation in.

Another thing you can do, before the year of waitng is up, send in new police certificates. Saves them having to ask you for them?

Good luck.
Old May 12th 2005, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Majj
If you're 8 months into the wait chances are (hopefully) that you are more than halfway there to getting requests for medicals. I know the points have been dropped and longer processing times are anticipated, but it's just a case of sweating it out. But do take your application out from time to time, review it and if you feel you can strengthen it, then send relevant documenatation in.

Another thing you can do, before the year of waitng is up, send in new police certificates. Saves them having to ask you for them?

Good luck.
Yeap planning to send in new police cert's in the next few months............