Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Two years to emigrate...from meds or visa confirmation

Two years to emigrate...from meds or visa confirmation

Old May 11th 2005, 8:34 am
Lyles

Default Two years to emigrate...from meds or visa confirmation

Hi all,

Does anyone know from when the clock starts ticking? You have a two year period within which to emigrate but is that from the day of the medicals or from the day the visa was stamped at immigration in Canada? If its from the day the visa was stamped, you effectively have three years, right? One year from the date of the meds to actually have the visa stamped and then two years after that to get your butt over there? Is that right?

Also, how long do you have before you must have your meds? I know most people are as eager as possible, up until recently I was too, but due to errr...unforseen circumstances, we may need to delay emigrating.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Cheers,

Lyles

Old May 11th 2005, 8:57 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Two years to emigrate...from meds or visa confirmation

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a maximum one year period, counting from the date your visa's stamped. And if your passport expires before that one year period is over, you have to land while it's still valid.

Originally Posted by Lyles
Hi all,

Does anyone know from when the clock starts ticking? You have a two year period within which to emigrate but is that from the day of the medicals or from the day the visa was stamped at immigration in Canada? If its from the day the visa was stamped, you effectively have three years, right? One year from the date of the meds to actually have the visa stamped and then two years after that to get your butt over there? Is that right?

Also, how long do you have before you must have your meds? I know most people are as eager as possible, up until recently I was too, but due to errr...unforseen circumstances, we may need to delay emigrating.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Cheers,

Lyles
Old May 11th 2005, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

I thought you had to be in Canada no later than 1 year from your medical...don't know where I got that from...will have a look.
Old May 11th 2005, 10:06 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You are both wrong.

PR visa is valid for up to 12 months from medicals (same as validity of medical decision) or less if passport expires sooner. Immigrant must land before visa expires or it is gone.

But you don't need to move to canada permanently upon landing. All you need to do after landing is to be present in Canada for at least 730 days in every 5 years period to keep your PR status. So, you may leave immediately after landing as long as you come back to Canada in time to meet your 2/5 residency obligation.

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Experts, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a maximum one year period, counting from the date your visa's stamped. And if your passport expires before that one year period is over, you have to land while it's still valid.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; May 11th 2005 at 10:09 am.
Old May 11th 2005, 8:12 pm
Lyles

Thanks all. Makes sense. Does anyone know whether there is a time limit within which you must have your meds done? So if we received our med requests next week, do they stipulate a time period within which you should have your meds?

Cheers again.

Lyles.

Old May 12th 2005, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

pak2 will become famous soon enoughpak2 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Two years to emigrate...from meds or visa confirmation

Thanks all. Makes sense. Does anyone know whether there is a time limit within which you must have your meds done? So if we received our med requests next week, do they stipulate a time period within which you should have your meds?

Cheers again.

Lyles.
Lyles,

We have just received our med request, but due to my wife being pregnant we won't be having the medicals until the baby is born. THis is not a problem as long as you let CHC know that is what you are doing. Basically as with all correspondence from the CHC there is a 90 day period that you need to respond in or they will consider that you have changed your mind about emigrating and cancel your application. I hope that this info helps.

Phil
Old May 12th 2005, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

I received my medicals but did not do them withen the 90 days, what happened is that they phoned me and asked me about my application and whether I am still interested in immigrating to Canada.
I doubt they will simply cancel yout application sillently.
Old May 12th 2005, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Cheers again.

Lyles.
Lyles, if you have received your medicals request, it should say in the paperwork that you have 90 days to complete. If they do not hear anything within 90 days they will close your file and you have to reapply.