Arriving via Temp work visa

Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arriving via Temp work visa

Can anyone help?
When landing on a temp work visa (one year),
Will we have to have a detailed list of the luggage we are carrying?
Also would it go against us if we were to say that we would like to apply during that year for PR?
Linda
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:31 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving via Temp work visa

Originally Posted by Linda P
Can anyone help?
When landing on a temp work visa (one year),
Will we have to have a detailed list of the luggage we are carrying?
Also would it go against us if we were to say that we would like to apply during that year for PR?
Linda
Under what program are you getting your work permit? If it is for only one year you could not apply to Buffalo because that takes longer than a year. You could always apply to the visa office responsible for you home country, even while you are in Canada.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Timmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jim!

This is kinda related to the previous post........

I work every winter in a ski area in BC. If I apply for PR within the next couple months through Sydney, then apply for my HRDSC Work Permit towards the end of the year for next winter, what affect will that have on my PR application (I have held 3 of these, plus a Working Holiday Visa)? Should I get a letter from my resort NOW stating that they will hire me again next winter (either as a PR or Sponsored)? Thanks in advance.

Tim

BTW, I'm working as an instructor (NOC 5254)....each winter as Full-Time for about 5 months. I've done this for 4 winters.....I can add them all up to fullfil the Work Exerience requirement right?
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Under what program are you getting your work permit? If it is for only one year you could not apply to Buffalo because that takes longer than a year. You could always apply to the visa office responsible for you home country, even while you are in Canada.
Hi jim,

Not sure what you mean by program? At the moment it is a one year contract, but he is a nurse and hopefully it can be extended. We are hoping to use this year to decide whether to make Canada our home.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 9:37 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jim,

Not sure what you mean by program? At the moment it is a one year contract, but he is a nurse and hopefully it can be extended. We are hoping to use this year to decide whether to make Canada our home.
Well that is a good plan. It takes a while to know. Your reason for coming to Canada will be obvious and you will not likely be asked whether you intend to apply for PR. If asked you can say you would consider it which is exactly what you are intending to do.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Well that is a good plan. It takes a while to know. Your reason for coming to Canada will be obvious and you will not likely be asked whether you intend to apply for PR. If asked you can say you would consider it which is exactly what you are intending to do.
Thanks for that, do you know the answer to my other question by any chance, we fly 22 march, just wondered will we need to list in detail what we land with. It will be be mainly clothes, some cd's, dvd's,toys and bits and bobs we can fit in with our luggage allowance.
Linda
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jim,

any chance you can give me your advice to my questions above? Thanks alot. (Linda, sorry to highjack your thread)
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Timmo
Hi Jim!

This is kinda related to the previous post........

I work every winter in a ski area in BC. If I apply for PR within the next couple months through Sydney, then apply for my HRDSC Work Permit towards the end of the year for next winter, what affect will that have on my PR application (I have held 3 of these, plus a Working Holiday Visa)? Should I get a letter from my resort NOW stating that they will hire me again next winter (either as a PR or Sponsored)? Thanks in advance.

Tim

BTW, I'm working as an instructor (NOC 5254)....each winter as Full-Time for about 5 months. I've done this for 4 winters.....I can add them all up to fullfil the Work Exerience requirement right?
There is a view in the CIC that what you have been doing is called part-time employment and is thus not to be counted.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

There is a view in the CIC that what you have been doing is called part-time employment and is thus not to be counted.
Hmmm....do you think it makes a difference that I do a continuous winter (meaning I'm here in winter, then go and do the winter in the southern hemisphere).....so I'm actually doing it for AT LEAST 10 months each year....so it's not really part-time!??! I'd have to makes this very clear to the Visa Officer if I wanted to include it eh?
Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ruslan124 will become famous soon enough

You will have to declare what you bring in but it will not cost you anything. You also have to declare if anything is following you via a shipper. It appears that this will not be a problem for you but if you do extend your work permit beyond teh year or succeed in PR then you will have to pay tax and duty on anything that you then decide to ship to Canda. Only what you declare when you arrive is allowed in tax and duty free.

I would not tell immigration you intend to apply for PR becasue it is not relevent. What I would recommend is that when you are asked how long your work permit is require for (this will be issued at your entry airport) ask nicely if you can have 2 years and not just 1 year as you have said.

If you are even considering PR, do it as soon as you get settled, itwill take some time. Be prepared to answer some very detailed questions on teh application forms.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ruslan124
You will have to declare what you bring in but it will not cost you anything. You also have to declare if anything is following you via a shipper. It appears that this will not be a problem for you but if you do extend your work permit beyond teh year or succeed in PR then you will have to pay tax and duty on anything that you then decide to ship to Canda. Only what you declare when you arrive is allowed in tax and duty free.

I would not tell immigration you intend to apply for PR becasue it is not relevent. What I would recommend is that when you are asked how long your work permit is require for (this will be issued at your entry airport) ask nicely if you can have 2 years and not just 1 year as you have said.

If you are even considering PR, do it as soon as you get settled, itwill take some time. Be prepared to answer some very detailed questions on teh application forms.
Thanks for the reply.
Michael's contract is for one year, surely immigration will only give us the same?
Also, if we are on a one years visa and then we apply for PR, will we not go through Landing again as PR with our list of goods at that time?
Linda P
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anyone out there that landed via a temp work permit????
We need your help on this one!
We fly in ONE WEEK. and although I have been looking on various sites, I cant find the answers!

Linda
Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Anyone out there that landed via a temp work permit????
We need your help on this one!
We fly in ONE WEEK. and although I have been looking on various sites, I cant find the answers!

Linda
Don't use the word "landed" as you are coming as a visitor with permission to work. If you are just bringing your clothes etc., you don't require a list of goods. If you are having goods shipped, or bringing electronics, you will require a list of them as they will be admitted, but will have to be re-exported at the end of your work permit, unless you obtain PR status. If the HRSDC approval is for 1 year, then you will only be give a 1 year work permit. If you apply for PR you should then apply in your home country as there is no guarantee that the permit will be extended and if you have to return, you don;t want to have to trek to the US for an interview.

PMM
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

Don't use the word "landed" as you are coming as a visitor with permission to work. If you are just bringing your clothes etc., you don't require a list of goods. If you are having goods shipped, or bringing electronics, you will require a list of them as they will be admitted, but will have to be re-exported at the end of your work permit, unless you obtain PR status. If the HRSDC approval is for 1 year, then you will only be give a 1 year work permit. If you apply for PR you should then apply in your home country as there is no guarantee that the permit will be extended and if you have to return, you don;t want to have to trek to the US for an interview.

PMM
We intend on bringing our clothes, a few cd's, dvd's, kids favourite toys, and any kitchen items such as our pots & pans and bits & bobs that we can fit in with our weight allowance. We won't be bringing and electrical items.
If we then applied and got PR, we would want to shipped the rest of our belongings.
We are really grateful for your responce.
I'll take note not to use 'landed'
Linda
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:30 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We intend on bringing our clothes, a few cd's, dvd's, kids favourite toys, and any kitchen items such as our pots & pans and bits & bobs that we can fit in with our weight allowance. We won't be bringing and electrical items.
If we then applied and got PR, we would want to shipped the rest of our belongings.
We are really grateful for your responce.
I'll take note not to use 'landed'
Linda
We came to Canada for 3 years on a work permit and had to show evidence of goods to follow if we were shipping. I don't think you have to worry if you are just coming with cases.

We didn't (stupidly!!!) apply for PR whilst we were there but friends of ours did. He was lucky as his employer was happy for him to stay on for longer than the initial 12 months and was able to extend his work permit which is a fairly easy process of sending forms to the CPC at Vegreville Alberta. if you apply for PR I believe the application goes to Buffalo. If you get your PR you have to leave Canada and come back in order to 'land'. Our friends drove down to the border crossing near Waterton, crossed into the USA and came almost straight back. When your work permit expires you have to leave Canada to wait for your PR application to be processed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.