Applying from the UK

Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:37 am
Just Joined

bengmason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying from the UK

Good evening everyone.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this situation.

I am looking at the possibility of applying for the skilled worker visa from the UK. I always stumble across this list http://www.workpermit.com/canada/employee_list.htm and am trying to figure out if your profession isn't on this list, then you can't apply? Is this correct. I am a Graphic Designer and my NOC number would be: Graphic Designers and Illustrators(NOC 5241-B)

If somebody has any knowledge on this then I would love to hear your input. I should also mention that i meet the points requirement.

Thanks in advance
Ben
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:17 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying from the UK

Originally Posted by bengmason
Good evening everyone.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this situation.

I am looking at the possibility of applying for the skilled worker visa from the UK. I always stumble across this list http://www.workpermit.com/canada/employee_list.htm and am trying to figure out if your profession isn't on this list, then you can't apply? Is this correct. I am a Graphic Designer and my NOC number would be: Graphic Designers and Illustrators(NOC 5241-B)

If somebody has any knowledge on this then I would love to hear your input. I should also mention that i meet the points requirement.

Thanks in advance
Ben
You are correct that if your job is not on the list of in demand occupations then you cannot apply for FSW Category 1.

You should use the official CIC website for an up to date and definitive list of these, not any other site, though, to ensure you are looking at the correct information.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

If you can secure a job offer, you could still apply for FSW Category 2 if you can secure a job offer and LMO or Provincial Nomination in the province where you intend to settle.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Helcat is correct and unfortunately you don't seem to be currently eligible as FSW cat 1 as your occupation isn't on 'the list'.

But I see from your previous posts that you are currently in Canada on a WHV, is that correct? If so, perhaps your employer would be prepared to apply for a LMO to keep you? Then once you've got that you could apply under FSW cat 2.

Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your responses guys.

You are correct, I am currently living in Saskatchewan. I work here full time and have done for a year now. I can apply via the SINP but the truth of the matter is that I don't think I can stick it out in Saskatchewan for the length of the processing time as I am bored out of my brain here and just not happy.

Just wanted to explore the option of maybe going back to the UK and coming back out here in a few years time, however that does not look like a choice unless I change my profession.

Thanks very much.

Ben
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct, I am currently living in Saskatchewan. I work here full time and have done for a year now. I can apply via the SINP but the truth of the matter is that I don't think I can stick it out in Saskatchewan for the length of the processing time as I am bored out of my brain here and just not happy.
Perhaps you could move provinces for the remainder of your WHV, and try and get a job offer elsewhere? When does it expire, could you apply for a second one next year maybe?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

There is the option of moving to Calgary as I have family there. My HR lady made me believe that Saskatchewan was really the only province that could sponsor my profession.

The other thing is I would have to work 6 months elsewhere before I was eligible for sponsorship and although I can extend my visa for 1 more year, I hear the length of processing times in AB take much longer and therefore my visa will expire before it is processed.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Ben
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

There is the option of moving to Calgary as I have family there. My HR lady made me believe that Saskatchewan was really the only province that could sponsor my profession.
What is your profession?

The other thing is I would have to work 6 months elsewhere before I was eligible for sponsorship
That's not true. For a few PNP streams, you'd have to have worked for the employer for 6 months before you could apply, but not all of them. Plus of course, if your job is 'skilled', you could apply at any time as a Skilled Worker if you have a LMO.

And lastly, you say that your second year WHV would have expired before you get PR, but don't forget that if you do go down the PNP route, you get a work permit as part of it anyway, so that would cover you until PR comes through.

Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:19 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

My HR lady made me believe that Saskatchewan was really the only province that could sponsor my profession.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Ben
Never trust HR.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Haha thanks guys - appreciate your help.

One more question. Can I apply for Canadian PR from the UK and avoid the skilled worker category altogether? From what I understand this would take a few years though (completely fine with that).

Is that correct?

Cheers
Ben
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

One more question. Can I apply for Canadian PR from the UK and avoid the skilled worker category altogether? From what I understand this would take a few years though (completely fine with that).

Is that correct?
Under which visa route? There are numerous routes to PR, one of which is Skilled Worker, but it will depend on which you think you qualify for.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Let me rephrase my poorly put together email and give you what I read:

If you are high skilled and not in a hurry, you can apply as a federal skilled worker to get permanent residency, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/s… You would have to qualify under a points system and you will stay in your country and wait until your application has been processed. The processing times for these applications can be seen at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information… Depending on where you live, it can take 1 to 6 years to finalize these applications.

is this the case?

Cheers
B
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:42 pm
Island life at last

Haha thanks guys - appreciate your help.

Is that correct?

Cheers
Ben

The issue with going back to the UK and waiting is that it might be 2 years or more before you would get a decision from Cat 2 and how many employers would wait that long for their employee to turn up?

By that time the job and even (and it has happened) the employer might no longer be there.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

If you are high skilled and not in a hurry, you can apply as a federal skilled worker to get permanent residency, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/s… You would have to qualify under a points system and you will stay in your country and wait until your application has been processed. The processing times for these applications can be seen at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information… Depending on where you live, it can take 1 to 6 years to finalize these applications.

is this the case?
Nope, that's very out of date. Was that from the Wiki on here? If so, it needs correcting asap!

Prior to 2008, anybody with 67 points or more could apply as a Skilled Worker, but it took several years to get, which is what the above is referring to.

However, in 2008 'the list' of eligible occupations was introduced to try and clear the backlog, which has made things much quicker, but also means that now less people are eligible as Skilled Workers unless they have a job offer.

So the above is referring to Skilled Workers, but as you are aware, you need either experience in a job on 'the list' of eligible occupations, or a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify these days.

HTH and clarifies it?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Ah ok good to know. Well I think I have everything I need.

Thanks so much for your help. Time to plan my next move

Over and out
B
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah ok good to know. Well I think I have everything I need.
Jolly good. Can you just let me know if the info you had above was from the Wiki on here? If so, I need to go and correct it so that nobody else reads misinformation like that, so if you could point me to which page it was on that would be v helpful.

Best of luck with Plan B!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.