Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

applying for a twp or visitor visa whilst in Canada

applying for a twp or visitor visa whilst in Canada

Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:56 pm
Banned

gurdomonk is on a distinguished road
Default applying for a twp or visitor visa whilst in Canada

Hi, hope you can help. My work visa expired, and I am on implied status yet not allowed to work. Lmo in process.
Incase things fall through, am I allowed to extend my stay as a visitor, and are there anyway I can apply for a work permit without a job offer, even if the temporary visa does comes through, can I apply for a work permit after.

Please help
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for a twp or visitor visa whilst in Canada

Originally Posted by gurdomonk
Hi, hope you can help. My work visa expired, and I am on implied status yet not allowed to work. Lmo in process.
Incase things fall through, am I allowed to extend my stay as a visitor, and are there anyway I can apply for a work permit without a job offer, even if the temporary visa does comes through, can I apply for a work permit after.

Please help
You cannot get a work permit without a job offer and approve LMO. Without the job offer there is nothing to link the WP to, unless you qualify for BUNAC or an open spousal WP. An alternative is apply for PR if you qualify.

You may be permitted to extend a visitor status, that would be up to the immigration officer. Don't overstay any permits, you may be denied entry in the future.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:30 pm
Banned

gurdomonk is on a distinguished road

Thanks
I have 70 days left on implied status, so I should apply now for the temp visitor visa then?
Gives me time to look for work etc in the meantime I guess.
I do have a girlfriend, but am unsure about the whole process of spousal etc. Can you private message me?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Can you private message me?
We'd recommend that you post any questions on the open forum - that way you can be sure of getting any wrong advice corrected by others, and asking for immigration advice via PM is discouraged. There is a Wiki article about spousal sponsorship, plus of course you can look at the CIC website and read all about it there, but put simply if you and your gf have lived together for at least one year in a 'marriage like' relationship (and can prove it via joint bills, bank account, insurance, rental agreement etc) then she can sponsor you for PR.

But read the Wiki and CIC website and then you can come back and ask any questions. It would probably be best to start a new thread with a relevant title so that those with spousal sponsorship experience will see it and help.

Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Please help
1. Unless you applied for an extension of your status or a visitor permit, you are out of status. There is no implied status if you haven't applied for an extension. Implied status is when you apply for an extension and CIC has not made a decision on your application.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Unless you applied for an extension of your status or a visitor permit, you are out of status. There is no implied status if you haven't applied for an extension. Implied status is when you apply for an extension and CIC has not made a decision on your application.
I agree with PMM that you are currently out of status unless....
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

If you are actually out of status you have to apply ASAP for reinstatement of your status as a visitor. You will find the forms on the CIC website.

You should ask your girl friend to sponsor you if you want to stay in Canada and the LMO doesnt come back positive. After passing the first stage you might be able to get a work permit as a spouse while you are waiting for your final PR to come through.