British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   applying for TWP on landing quick question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/applying-twp-landing-quick-question-559440/)

tracys Sep 29th 2008 4:58 pm

Re: applying for TWP on landing quick question

Originally Posted by Arrona (Post 6830531)
hi Tracy
i didnt get my TWP when i landed it was a few weeks later as my medical had not been verified, i was given no status and had to report to the airport every week. i landed on 4th May and got my TWP on 22nd June.
but you still have to get more medicals and police checks done for PR

Wow, what a brave thing to do. Were you confident that your TWP would be granted? Must have been a bit nerve wrecking all the same.

If you have to have more medicals and police checks for PR does that mean the ones they do for TWP aren't as thorough? Do you have to pay twice?:unsure:

Arrona Sep 29th 2008 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by tracys (Post 6830575)
Wow, what a brave thing to do. Were you confident that your TWP would be granted? Must have been a bit nerve wrecking all the same.

If you have to have more medicals and police checks for PR does that mean the ones they do for TWP aren't as thorough? Do you have to pay twice?:unsure:

I knw i would get my TWP eventually as i had all the paper work. the meds and police checks for my TWP will be out of date as they have to be within 3 months i think, but at least it is cheaper to get it done here:rofl:

tracys Sep 29th 2008 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Arrona (Post 6830843)
I knw i would get my TWP eventually as i had all the paper work. the meds and police checks for my TWP will be out of date as they have to be within 3 months i think, but at least it is cheaper to get it done here:rofl:

I didn't realise there was such a tight timeframe. If this is the case is a PR visa normally issued within 3 months of acceptable medical results.:unsure:

Am I correct in saying you have a year after getting your visa to "land" in Canada?

Presumably if you pass the medical first time round should hopefully be ok when your PR file comes to top of the pile, providing of course you haven't developed something awful in the meantime:ohmy:

kiton6 Sep 29th 2008 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by tracys (Post 6831067)
I didn't realise there was such a tight timeframe. If this is the case is a PR visa normally issued within 3 months of acceptable medical results.:unsure:

Am I correct in saying you have a year after getting your visa to "land" in Canada?

Presumably if you pass the medical first time round should hopefully be ok when your PR file comes to top of the pile, providing of course you haven't developed something awful in the meantime:ohmy:

When you receive your request to go for your medical for PR, it states that it should be processed within 2-3 months. However, that does not mean a visa will be issued within 2-3 months (some people are waiting a lot longer than that for various reason).

Arrona Sep 29th 2008 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by tracys (Post 6831067)

i am pressuming thats how it is:huh: not to sure about landing thing. but i was the only one who required a med so OH and kids still need one.
hows your plans coming on

tracys Sep 29th 2008 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Arrona (Post 6831084)
i am pressuming thats how it is:huh: not to sure about landing thing. but i was the only one who required a med so OH and kids still need one.
hows your plans coming on

Hi Francis,

not much happening at the moment. Started NVQ3 last Tuesday, a friend is taking the same course so I'll have some company! We had to take an initial assessment to see if we are up to studying at this level! Pleased to say we passed:rofl:

OH had an e-mail from recruiters in Halifax but company wanted someone asap and he has to give 3 months notice. Still waiting to hear about another job that they should have the details for in the fall(that's anytime now isn't it?), so fingers crossed.

My daughter started secondary school and has settled really well, big relief as none of her friends went to same school. Just trying to get on with life while not really wanting to be here, but can't let this proccess take over our life or would go mad.:lol: Some people say it's too late, already mad:rofl: It helps when you work in a reception class in a school in Essex!

tracys Sep 29th 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by kiton6 (Post 6831080)
When you receive your request to go for your medical for PR, it states that it should be processed within 2-3 months. However, that does not mean a visa will be issued within 2-3 months (some people are waiting a lot longer than that for various reason).

Goodness, this must be awful for those people who are waiting longer than expected. I hope when my time comes it will be straightforward, I'll probably make myself ill worrying about it:rofl:

Arrona Sep 29th 2008 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by tracys (Post 6831120)
Hi Francis,

not much happening at the moment. Started NVQ3 last Tuesday, a friend is taking the same course so I'll have some company! We had to take an initial assessment to see if we are up to studying at this level! Pleased to say we passed:rofl:

OH had an e-mail from recruiters in Halifax but company wanted someone asap and he has to give 3 months notice. Still waiting to hear about another job that they should have the details for in the fall(that's anytime now isn't it?), so fingers crossed.

My daughter started secondary school and has settled really well, big relief as none of her friends went to same school. Just trying to get on with life while not really wanting to be here, but can't let this proccess take over our life or would go mad.:lol: Some people say it's too late, already mad:rofl: It helps when you work in a reception class in a school in Essex!

thats good that you started the course. if you need any help help let me know:thumbsup: one of the girls i work with was a NVQ teacher.

kiton6 Sep 29th 2008 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by tracys (Post 6831136)
Goodness, this must be awful for those people who are waiting longer than expected. I hope when my time comes it will be straightforward, I'll probably make myself ill worrying about it:rofl:

Yes, and unfortunately, there are quite a few people who are in that situation. Hopefully, they'll hear soon.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561689

tracys Sep 30th 2008 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Arrona (Post 6831160)
thats good that you started the course. if you need any help help let me know:thumbsup: one of the girls i work with was a NVQ teacher.

Thanks Francis,

I might take you up on that. My tutor said that we are allowed up to 18 months to complete the course but most people do it in a year. She said we should be finished by June! I'm going to try and get it done in a year so I can hopefully get a TWP and be in Canada for the start of the next school year. That's the plan anyway, just hope there is still a demand for nursery nurses then. Is it possible to get a TWP in 8 weeks? Or am I being a bit unrealistic?:unsure: Of course if OH gets a job in the meantime that will be even better:D

tracys Sep 30th 2008 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by kiton6 (Post 6831284)
Yes, and unfortunately, there are quite a few people who are in that situation. Hopefully, they'll hear soon.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561689

Oh dear, how awful. Read the thread. You must all be so frustrated by the whole process.:mad: And as for the experience that poor Bristoluk had to endure, it doesn't give you much confidence does it? Hopefully they learned from that ****up and it won't happen again:unsure: It's great that they finally got to their destination and things are going well for them. I hope that you all hear soon and that i don't eventually end up on said thread in the same boat!

gurpreet79 Sep 30th 2008 4:14 pm

Hi ..

We got Ours within 9 weeks :)

its all about presenting your file, Covering letter, Make sure you submit everything mentioned in the checklist in order.

Take Care ..

Gurpreet

tracys Sep 30th 2008 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by gurpreet79 (Post 6833349)
Hi ..

We got Ours within 9 weeks :)

its all about presenting your file, Covering letter, Make sure you submit everything mentioned in the checklist in order.

Take Care ..

Gurpreet

That's great news! Congratulations:thumbsup:

We are using an immigration lawyer, if he can't get it all in order who can? Hope he's worth the money we paid him!

Arrona Sep 30th 2008 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by tracys (Post 6833238)
Thanks Francis,

I might take you up on that. My tutor said that we are allowed up to 18 months to complete the course but most people do it in a year. She said we should be finished by June! I'm going to try and get it done in a year so I can hopefully get a TWP and be in Canada for the start of the next school year. That's the plan anyway, just hope there is still a demand for nursery nurses then. Is it possible to get a TWP in 8 weeks? Or am I being a bit unrealistic?:unsure: Of course if OH gets a job in the meantime that will be even better:D

as long as you have had a medical verified and lmo etc you can get it at POE. :thumbsup: