Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

applying for TWP on landing quick question

applying for TWP on landing quick question

Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default applying for TWP on landing quick question

hi all

i know this has been talked about but, but just would like to here from anyone that has done this recently, we will be doing this in oct 2nd, and i have been told that we need to prove that we will be returning (yea right) back to the uk.

how the hell can you do this, without laughing i cant lie im crap at it, so what do we say when asked?? without smileing

thank you

paul&jo
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Re: applying for TWP on landing quick question

Usually a return ticket will suffice. That at least shows you have the means to get back.
Having said that we werent asked anything like that when we got a TWP last September in Halifax.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

that could be intertesting, we only have one way tickets oh well
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

You might want to double check that.

I didnt think an airline could sell you one way tickets without you providing proof that you are allowed to stay there. They may sell you the tickets but at the airport you may be asked to provide the proof like PR or TWP paperwork else they may not let you board.

I think I read that the reason they do this is because if they let you board and then you are refused entry into Canada the airline is responsible for getting you back to blighty.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We flew one way with no problems. We arrived at immigration, showed them letter they sent us to secondary desk and they issued us a TWP for 3 years and that was it. Very painless and not once did anyone ask about 1 way ticket or plan to return home
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

We bought one way tickets - no questions asked by the airline nor at either airport. Landed, asked to speak with an Immigration officer and handed over our paperwork regarding job and requesting twp (and the money of course). No-one asked about returning or proof of anything to do with the UK and we were issued a 12 month visa. Our intention all along was (and still is) to stay here.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

i understand that its a different form at the airport to fill out than what is online, ???????? ref service canada
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

the airports probably only would query one way tickets at places like Toronto/Vancouver etc.

Maybe sleepy old NS arent so fussed, no complaints from me on that front though

All in all the process was really straight forward when we got our TWP last year.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember any different forms to complete at the airport, all we had to do was complete a customs form I think. Halifax was fine when we came in although the immigration looked puzzled when we first went to the desk but once we went to secondary it was easy
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

When you are being issued with WP's for several years (mine was until the expiration of our passports in 2012) how can you be expected to have a returs ticket. We arrived at Halifax in August and got our WP's without any problems. When they aksed us how long were we planning on staying I just said that we hoped to be here for at least as long as the WP's were issued for. They asked me why I wasn't planning on getting PR and staying for good. I said that we had already applied and that was our goal. The immigration officer just wished us luck.

Am I missing something here? I really didn't think that you needed a return ticket if you were getting a WP, it came up on here in a recent thread but I wasn't sure where this info originated. Does anyone have a link to the actual rule or has anyone asked the experts? My immigration consultant said that it wasn't needed.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

my husband accidently booked one way tickets online, I immediately rang airline to try and get return tickets. The new airfare was so high that I said nevermind, she asked if we had visas that allowed one way tickets, I said we will be given work permits. She said that would be fine but I know that I read somewhere that if you are on a TWP, you must prove that you will be returning at the end of the period. It's like when travelling on a visa waiver, they hardly ask to see your return ticket, but they specifically say that those are the conditions of the visa waiver programme.
I am very scared about 'landing'. With my luck they will ask to see a return ticket. My passport expires next year so they will only give me a work permit for 1 year and I think you can get tickets for a year.
The thing is they know that we will not be going back...surely..
I am vey nervous, Vancouver airport, I hear now has a special 'lounge' for work permit.study permit or other pre-authorised visas, so they should be well versed with us Brits coming and not planning on going back. Right?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sioux
My passport expires next year confused:
You are crazy if you move over without getting your passport renewed. It costs loads more to renew from Canada and you will then have the bother of getting your WP renewed too. If you renew early they will allow you the extra time on your new passport so you don't lose out in the long term.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

hello again,

we landed at toronto in june with a one way ticket and it was really easy. as long as you have your job offer and lmo you are fine.

they never said anything about return tickets. TWP was issued with no problems and they even gave my partner a 2yr TWP too!!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sioux
my husband accidently booked one way tickets online, I immediately rang airline to try and get return tickets. The new airfare was so high that I said nevermind, she asked if we had visas that allowed one way tickets, I said we will be given work permits. She said that would be fine but I know that I read somewhere that if you are on a TWP, you must prove that you will be returning at the end of the period. It's like when travelling on a visa waiver, they hardly ask to see your return ticket, but they specifically say that those are the conditions of the visa waiver programme.
I am very scared about 'landing'. With my luck they will ask to see a return ticket. My passport expires next year so they will only give me a work permit for 1 year and I think you can get tickets for a year.
The thing is they know that we will not be going back...surely..
I am vey nervous, Vancouver airport, I hear now has a special 'lounge' for work permit.study permit or other pre-authorised visas, so they should be well versed with us Brits coming and not planning on going back. Right?
We landed in March and not one person asked us when we was going back, not even the agent issuing dh his work permit. Definitely would renew passport before moving and you can start PR once you have a couple months under your belt. We are starting PR soon
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you for all you info regarding this, we feel alot better now,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.