Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR to BC while on working holiday?

Applying for PR to BC while on working holiday?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for PR to BC while on working holiday?

I'm going to BC next year on a working holiday with my fiance and we are planning on applying for PR. Is it possible to apply for it while on a working holiday visa? I understand it may not finish processing before our visas run out which means we will have to return to the UK until a decision is made.

Also (as we have no way of knowing how the process works and peoples outcomes) If I have a permanent job offer in BC - in a recognised occupation on the NOC list and my employer was willing to sponsor me ( I would apply under PNP or Skilled worker I guess) and as the law abiding, healthy person that I am (other than high blood pressure that I have at the moment, which should be sorted out by then as I'm only 24 and not overweight) what are the chances of being successful? how many people do get turned down in this situation?

thanks in advance if you can make sense of the questions!

Rich
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR to BC while on working holiday?

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
I'm going to BC next year on a working holiday with my fiance and we are planning on applying for PR. Is it possible to apply for it while on a working holiday visa?
Certainly not for any federal program (you'd need a 'normal' TWP for that), but PNP could be an option if you can convince your employer to apply for it for you, will depend on the job and if you and/or the employer are eligible.

I understand it may not finish processing before our visas run out which means we will have to return to the UK until a decision is made.
Or just get another IEC visa (if this is your first), or a 'normal' TWP - you'd get a TWP at the first stage of PNP approval, or you could ask your employer to apply for the LMO for you.

If I have a permanent job offer in BC - in a recognised occupation on the NOC list and my employer was willing to sponsor me
What do you mean by 'recognised occupation on the NOC list'? Do you mean a skill level A, O or B job, or a job on the list of 29 eligible occupations for a Federal Skilled Worker (category 1) visa? If the latter, you don't even need a job offer for that, you just need a year's experience in one of those jobs. What kind of job do you hope to get?

what are the chances of being successful? how many people do get turned down in this situation?
Lots of people get turned down, but if you, and the job are eligible, and you meet all of the criteria of the visa (employment, education, proof of funds, pass the medical, no recent criminal record, etc) then you *should* be fine.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute

thanks I would be working as a web/software developer. So I'm guessing I should apply for a TWP to extend my stay and then apply for PR?

So many directions to go in! it seems the more I read into it the more confusing the process gets!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks I would be working as a web/software developer. So I'm guessing I should apply for a TWP to extend my stay and then apply for PR?
Three options to stay longer from what you've said - get a second IEC, get a LMO and TWP and then apply for PR as FSW, or get your employer to apply for PNP (and then get a TWP at first stage approval, so you can stay whilst PR is being processed).

HTH.

Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

gracey1982 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Three options to stay longer from what you've said - get a second IEC, get a LMO and TWP and then apply for PR as FSW, or get your employer to apply for PNP (and then get a TWP at first stage approval, so you can stay whilst PR is being processed).

HTH.

This is exactly what I did. I came here on a Working Holiday in Sept 2010 in Jan 2011 my employer made me permanent and started the PNP PR process. In May 2011 my BC PNP got approved and I got a TWP in Sept 2011 when my working holiday ran out and now my PR is almost complete. I had to have a letter from my employer saying I was employed and would be for at least 2 years and my BC PNP approval letter when i applied for a TWP at the border.

PM me if you need more info. It sounds like you are in the exact same boat as I am/was.

Lee
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:07 am
Just Joined

OldMiltonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gracey,

Did your MR come by regular mail or via email?

Cheers,

OM
Old Feb 15th 2012, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

gracey1982 is on a distinguished road

MR came by email as did PPR or request for passport copies anyway.