Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for permanent resident visa for Canada advice

Applying for permanent resident visa for Canada advice

Old Nov 8th 2013, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for permanent resident visa for Canada advice

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone has advice on applying for permanent resident visa to Canada. I was wondering if using an immigration consultant is worth the money as I know they are quite costly. I would like to apply on my own to save money, but I don't know very much about the ins and out of immigration and not quite sure where to start. I've been looking at the CIC website and there is a lot to find out and a lot of reading to go through, so was bit worried that i'd mess it up.

I was reading some threads posted in the past and wondered how people have got on with applying on their own. I know a lot of people seemed to look at using a consultant.

My occupation isn't currently listed in the list of 24 this year for the FSW as it got taken off last year, so if it doesn't appear next year then I'd have to reconsider what route to go down, which makes it less straight forward, hence the reason I was thinking of using an immigration consultant as they would know more about alternative routes to go down.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Any info would be much appreciated, many thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for permanent resident visa for Canada advice

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Use a consultant if you wish, but you don't need to, particularly now you've found this forum!

Nobody here can really advise on your best visa route without knowing a lot more about you, but if you want to look over your options then the Wiki is the best place to start.

Once you've figured out your likely visa route, feel free to ask questions about it.

Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Christmasoopma, that's great. I hadn't seen the wiki till now, that's great, I'll take a good read of the information in there.

I was just wondering if the list of occupations for the FSW changes every year - the reason I'm asking is that I was thinking of applying last year through federal skilled workers when pharmacists were on the list. However they've taken them off the list this year. So I'm keeping an eye on this list - does it get updated every May?

And I wondered the application forms on the CIC website just now - do they remain the same each year, or the they get updated each year too.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Both generally get changed every year.....but not always (just to keep you on your toes!).
Old Nov 9th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ah I see. Thanks for letting me me. I'll keep an eye out. Just been looking through the instructions for applying, which helps a lot.