Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying internally for spousal sponsorship...problems as a visitor?

Applying internally for spousal sponsorship...problems as a visitor?

Old Aug 12th 2002, 3:16 pm
Howthedevil

Default Applying internally for spousal sponsorship...problems as a visitor?

Hi!

Fairly new to this group - my first post - finding the information available
incredibly useful

My Canadian Fiancée and I (I'm in the UK) are wanting to get married, with the
ultimate goal being for me to immigrate to be with her. Like just about everyone
here, we've been looking at all the options to see what would be the quickest route
with the least amount of time spent apart (my head's swimming with information ) It
looks like marrying in Canada and applying internally would seem the best option -
for her to sponsor me with me still in the UK looks like a long waiting game.

My query is this - I understand that lying or ommiting information when asked at
customs is more trouble than it's worth with something as important as this - so
would there be a problem with me going across on the normal 6 month visitor
understanding, getting married, and staying while she sponsors me (obviously not
being able to work or anything)? Is this allowed if I were to tell customs this
upon my entry to Canada? This is the area that I am most unclear about and can't
seem to find definitive answers - if this isn't possible then what are my other
options for internal application? - any help and advice would be greatly
appreciated in this matter

Thanks in advance, htd xxx

Old Aug 12th 2002, 5:23 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: Applying internally for spousal sponsorship...problems as a visitor?

if you want to apply inland then your only option is to be legally in Canada. what
you say to immigration (as opposed to customs) is indeed a gery area. some people say
just dont say anything and come as a normal visitor, which is fine in 90% of the
cases where they will just say why are you here ok off you go and waive you through.
its the 10% when they ask more questions and start asking where are you staying , why
are you not staying in a hotel do you have friends here? whats your relationship to
them, etc and if you lie you will get caught out. plus you dont want to be in the
situation where you have said its just a trip for a holiday so they dont feel as bad
refusing entry then you want to say "but actually no im suposed to be getting married
you have to let me in" cos then you just admitted you were lying and they really dont
like that and wont believe anything you say. so you need to strike a balance between
being honest and not really saying more than you have to. and in most cases if you
say youa re going to visit your fiance and if they ask directly if you are going to
get married and apply for inland PR and you are honest about it they will let you in
because it is very common, especially peopel coming from USA and UK who have no other
reason to try an enter illegally etc. when i have visited my wife (both when she was
my girlfriend,fiancee and wife) they have asked various levels of qustions and have
on 2 occasions asked me directly if i intended to apply for PR. i said no as i wasnt
intending to (i had to come back to the UK to finish university) but i did not get
the feeling he would have refused me entry had i said i did intend to, it was more a
matter of fact question as if he expected me to say yes and got it a lot. the main
thing you do not want to do is make your intent to stay too blatant, turning up with
a 1 way ticket and huge bags of personal belongings and boxes of stuff will make it
much harder for them to use discretion and admit you as you'll appear almost to be
flaunting the law. just be sensible and hinest and you will be ok. and even if the
worst happens and you are denied entry then you can always get married in the UK and
apply outside.

Drew

Old Aug 13th 2002, 4:59 pm
Howthedevil

Default Re: Applying internally for spousal sponsorship...problems as a visitor?

Thanks so much for your quick and detailed reply - it's really appreciated My
mistake on the customs /immigration thing - getting my terminology muddled up Your
answer was exactly what I was hoping for and it's very good advice about being open
and honest but not necessarily overstating your intentions unless they specifically
ask - I've taken that on board, thanks! Yes on my last visit there I got the officer
that you describe hehe....I think I was asked just about every question in the book.

Thanks again for clearing this up!

htd xxx