Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying Concurrently for WP with an LMO

Applying Concurrently for WP with an LMO

Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:11 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying Concurrently for WP with an LMO

I have been talking with a few of the HRSDC threaders about this and wanted to ask a specific question about it.

If we applied now for a concurrent WP to CHC in London and got a positive LMO say in the next few days or weeks, would we be able to go on ahead and apply at POE for our WP or have to sit it out here and wait for the original one to come through from CHC.

We are waiting nine weeks today for my OH's LMO in Saskatchewan. If we were going to have to wait 22+weeks however I would go ahead and get the Concurrent applicaiton together and post it in to CHC.

On the other hand I dont want to have to wait here for extra weeks if it is not necesscary
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:56 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying Concurrently for WP with an LMO

Hiya buddy!

The only problem I can really see there is that if you send a TWP app into CHC London you have to send your fee in with it.

If your LMO comes say the day after you sent your TWP app in then you would be a bit shafted going POE route because all the docs you may need to show would be with CHC in london, plus you'd have to pay another fee for TWP at POE if you catch my drift! And to be honest i'm not sure how you would go about saying to immigration - yes we have an application in for TWP in the UK but were so impatient we thought we'd just hop over.

If I knew then what I know now I would have waited for LMO and gone at POE. At least if you are going that route as soon as it comes through you can book flights, we can't as we don't know how long after recieving the LMO CHC are taking to issue the permits :curse:

On the other hand if you want the safety net of having visa's in hand and can stand the extra x amount of days / weeks / months waiting for them to be posted then do the concurrent thingy!

Grief I hope that makes sense
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few people have applied at PoE having had Wps in application at london. Last easter eg the queue for Wps was around 12 weeks I think and people like Tangram got Wp at PoE habign already submitted a london application. I have no idea what the current Wp queue is, read thread and find out, I think it may be 6 ish weeks.

Other considerations are:
How much time do you have over in NI once your LMo comes through, do you go instantly or are there notice periods?
How do you cope with uncertainty and risk?
Would your last few weeks be easier and the flight easier knowing you have WP?

You will lose your submission fee if you submit to London and end up getting it at PoE

Gryph
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Ps

Very few people have applied concurrently for Wps here. On the move did and we did and mandymoochops and thats it as far as I am aware.

Gryph
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Also

How ready are you to submit for your WP? Can you do it today? or will it take until next friday etc to get all the stuff?

Can you get and HSRDC number like we managed for edmonton (scoot got it originally) but clearly Adam has one for BC. They won't tell you anything specific BUT they may tell you current processing estimates or dates (which my be slightly out of line but at least a starting point.

Gryph
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:40 am

Well mandy and gryph there are a lot of things to consider arent there?

As for coping with the uncertainty of issuing them at POE, my main concern there is that we will also have flown our two dogs with us, if you are refused do you be sent back on the next flight or can you stay in Canada and apply for a WP from there

Richards new employer also expects him to get his WP at POE as the guy who he is replacing has been off work for a few months after having a massive heart attack - so there is no one filling his position and they are desperate for Richard to start. He may not be too impressed therefore if we waited to get our WP here.

Oh I dont know anymore - I think we will go POE route and take a chane - afterall what reasons do they give for not issuing a WP if we have LMO already?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alvic
Well mandy and gryph there are a lot of things to consider arent there?

As for coping with the uncertainty of issuing them at POE, my main concern there is that we will also have flown our two dogs with us, if you are refused do you be sent back on the next flight or can you stay in Canada and apply for a WP from there

Richards new employer also expects him to get his WP at POE as the guy who he is replacing has been off work for a few months after having a massive heart attack - so there is no one filling his position and they are desperate for Richard to start. He may not be too impressed therefore if we waited to get our WP here.

Oh I dont know anymore - I think we will go POE route and take a chane - afterall what reasons do they give for not issuing a WP if we have LMO already?
I think reasons for refusal could be that:
1. you need a medical or police checks which you can owrk out for yourself in advance
2. Richard is not adequately qualified to do the job for which he has got an LMO, ie the postion is need and OK but he is not the man for it. This is whay you need the supporting evidence

Gryph
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by gryphea
I think reasons for refusal could be that:
1. you need a medical or police checks which you can owrk out for yourself in advance
2. Richard is not adequately qualified to do the job for which he has got an LMO, ie the postion is need and OK but he is not the man for it. This is whay you need the supporting evidence

Gryph
So even if the employer says he is qualified to do the job the immigration officer can decide differently:curse: Damn them all

BTW I have posted a seperate question so please dont feel that you have to reply there too - or your whole day will be taken up with double answers to this dummy over here in NI
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alvic
So even if the employer says he is qualified to do the job the immigration officer can decide differently:curse: Damn them all

BTW I have posted a seperate question so please dont feel that you have to reply there too - or your whole day will be taken up with double answers to this dummy over here in NI
OK examples might be truckers who have no driving licence etc
One from here, which got sorted out in the end , was a guy going for a job described as engineer. I believe he had been doing the job of engineer in UK, but because his degree wan't in civil engineering it caused a few probs. Those were sorted in the end but may not have been had he turned up at port of entry. I thinks such cases are few and far between and only you know whether there are potential problems lurking!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:09 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Also when you apply for a twp everyone says you don't need police checks. But on our app we both had a minor offence each, so CHC London asked for our police checks.

If we had gone poe and rightly or wrongly thought that you don't need these checks we may not have been let in, so thats why we are waiting for permits from chc.