Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Canadian citizenship from U.K

Applying for Canadian citizenship from U.K

Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:05 am
Just Joined

pondskipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Canadian citizenship from uk

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering If anyone could help me with some advice.

I am an Englishman (Bristolian) that has been living in Canada (Nova Scotia) now for the past 5 years.

I initially entered the country on a work permit and was lucky enough to get sponsored by the company I work for and was able to apply for P.R via the skilled workers stream and in May 2013 I became a P.R.

I plan to apply for Citizenship when the time comes.

When this time does come, And I have required the time needed as a P.R to allow me to start my Citizenship application would I be able to move back to the uk and complete the process from there?

I have children and other family in the U.K whom I miss very much and would like to go back for maybe a few years. On the other hand I now have a Canadian Fiancee.

To cut a long story short, I have ties in England, My Fiancee has ties in Canada. If we do move back to the UK we would like the option to come back to Canada as well. It is just knowing when we can do this. Would it be best for us to Wait, stay here and for me to complete my citizenship app from within Canada? Or is it straight forward to apply from within the U.K after my P.R time is completed?

Help!!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Canadian citizenship from uk

Originally Posted by pondskipper
Hello Everyone,

I am an Englishman (Bristolian) that has been living in Canada (Nova Scotia) now for the past 5 years.

I initially entered the country on a work permit and was lucky enough to get sponsored by the company I work for and was able to apply for P.R via the skilled workers stream and in May 2013 I became a P.R.

You know they're changing the rules to 4 out of the last 6 years soon? You're not likely to become a citizen before 2018.

When this time does come, And I have required the time needed as a P.R to allow me to start my Citizenship application would I be able to move back to the uk and complete the process from there?
In principle, yes. But you'll get a fairly short notice on the date of your citizenship test, back in Canada and then again, perhaps for the ceremony (NS may do them together, I don't know)

To cut a long story short, I have ties in England, My Fiancee has ties in Canada. If we do move back to the UK we would like the option to come back to Canada as well. It is just knowing when we can do this. Would it be best for us to Wait, stay here and for me to complete my citizenship app from within Canada? Or is it straight forward to apply from within the U.K after my P.R time is completed?
That's not quite what you asked above: you'll have to be resident in Canada for 4 of the last 6 years when you apply.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 18th 2014 at 12:29 am. Reason: sloppy quoting
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Canadian citizenship from U.K

Help!!
I just did; on your first post. The mods aren't too keen on multiple postings across threads.

I personally don't give a flying one.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:20 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't you already asked this question in the Immigration and Citizenship section ?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:26 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

1. Get married, don't get divorced before moving back to Canada. Your time married to a Canadian overseas, counts toward PR residency qualification (not citizenship). Apply for citizenship when moving back to Canada.

2. Don't leave until you get citizenship. Safest, easiest and cheapest option.

3. Make sure you can leave the UK at short notice, as little as a week to take the citizenship test. You'll need to do the same again for the citizenship ceremony a few weeks later. Set aside enough cash to do this, flights at a weeks notice won't be cheap.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:34 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;11177646]You know they're changing the rules to 4 out of the last 6 years soon? You're not likely to become a citizen before 2018.

No I was not aware of this. When is this due to kick in? As it stands now I thought I would be able to apply for citizenship in May 2015 ( 2 years as P.R then maxing the time accounted before I was a P.R, 1 year) and then roughly 2 years to complete the Citizenship process.

If what you say is true... our plans will be on hold.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:40 am
Born again atheist

[QUOTE=pondskipper;11177676]
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You know they're changing the rules to 4 out of the last 6 years soon? You're not likely to become a citizen before 2018.

No I was not aware of this. When is this due to kick in? As it stands now I thought I would be able to apply for citizenship in May 2015 ( 2 years as P.R then maxing the time accounted before I was a P.R, 1 year) and then roughly 2 years to complete the Citizenship process.

If what you say is true... our plans will be on hold.
I don't know exactly when the change will be implemented (an expert will be along soon) but I also believe the option of counting 2 days on a TWP as one day as PR will also be abolished.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I just did; on your first post. The mods aren't too keen on multiple postings across threads.

I personally don't give a flying one.
Opps Sorry all.... Im new to this and just wanted to make sure it was posted in the right place.

I wont do it again.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Ohhh well thats absolutely fantestical news!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:02 am
Born again atheist

Ohhh well thats absolutely fantestical news!
Talking of news, here a newspaper link. http://www.thestar.com/news/immigrat...hip_rules.html
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:28 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hello Everyone,

I have children and other family in the U.K whom I miss very much and would like to go back for maybe a few years. On the other hand I now have a Canadian Fiancee.

Help!!
1. Under the present Citizenship Act, you would be able to apply for Citizenship in May 2015, if you haven't left Canada in the past 4 years. You can count 1/2 your time on WP prior to PR to a maximum of 2 years and then 2 years as a PR if you haven't left Canada.
2. Your problem is going to be the new Citizenship Act C-24 which will probably pass before you are eligible to apply. If there are no major changes, you have to reside in Canada for 4 years in the 6 years prior to applying for Citizenship and the time prior to PR will NOT count for citizenship. Also you have to reside in Canada for 183 days in 4 of those years.
3. So if the Act passes you wont be eligible until about May 2017 (with no absences). You must be in Canada to apply for citizenship, and you could leave, but would have to return for the test and for the Oath. You miss them, and your application is cancelled.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
3. So if the Act passes you wont be eligible until about May 2017 (with no absences). You must be in Canada to apply for citizenship, and you could leave, but would have to return for the test and for the Oath. You miss them, and your application is cancelled.
Doesn't Bill C-24 also introduce a requirement that (in general) applicants for Canadian citizenship must intend to remain resident in Canada? Which means, at a minimum, that a person who moves outside Canada before being sworn in as a citizen can be refused citizenship.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
Doesn't Bill C-24 also introduce a requirement that (in general) applicants for Canadian citizenship must intend to remain resident in Canada? Which means, at a minimum, that a person who moves outside Canada before being sworn in as a citizen can be refused citizenship.
There is the "intent" provision to remain in Canada, but how could it be enforced? As I have said before, you now have to swear an oath to the Queen, but that doesn't stop you from joining the anti-Monarchist league
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, what Novo said - you're a long way off citizenship once the rules change.

As this is a duplicate thread, I'll merge the two.

Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
There is the "intent" provision to remain in Canada, but how could it be enforced? As I have said before, you now have to swear an oath to the Queen, but that doesn't stop you from joining the anti-Monarchist league
They could refuse applications where the applicant has left Canada, or clearly intends to leave. Administratively they try their best to achieve this outcome anyway, by refusing to deal with applicants outside Canada, and causing the applications to be abandoned or refused based on abandonment. Bill C-24 simplifies this process.