Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Canada working holiday visa - must I declare my arrest, enough to deny?

Applying for Canada working holiday visa - must I declare my arrest, enough to deny?

Old May 18th 2012, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

MikeBrit will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Applying for Canada working holiday visa - must I declare my arrest, enough to de

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
But the question isnt do you have a criminal record the question is have you ever been arrested, charged or convicted.
We deal with many people who have been arrested and even charged with offences but have no convictions so therefore are not inadmissible.

Perhaps this might explain it
Obligation — answer truthfully
16. (1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
What facilities are available to you to be able to check the truthfulness of answers? What checks can you undertake beyond the ACPO certificate and a check of the PNC?
Old May 18th 2012, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of
Default Re: Applying for Canada working holiday visa - must I declare my arrest, enough to de

Originally Posted by MikeBrit
What facilities are available to you to be able to check the truthfulness of answers? What checks can you undertake beyond the ACPO certificate and a check of the PNC?
You've openly admitted you would lie to the immigration officers so why on earth would one of them tell you what facilities they have at their disposal?
Old May 18th 2012, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The internet is a wonderful tool. Case in point last night I had a 26 yr old UK citizen who told me he had never been arrested or been in trouble with the Police. A quick google check resulted in an article of his hometown newspaper describing how he had been arrested for throwing his bag of chips at a Police car and arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct.
So dont underestimate what tools we have available
Old May 18th 2012, 8:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
FYI OP - FL is one of the aforementioned immigration officers that will greet you at the airport and decide whether or not to let you in to Canada.
Oops.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

If you're reduced to google searching I think maybe I am overestimating what tools you have available

I am just joking, but my point is there is absolutely nothing like that for me.

Originally Posted by scheherazade
You've openly admitted you would lie to the immigration officers so why on earth would one of them tell you what facilities they have at their disposal?
Ha It was worth a try!
Old May 19th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

It is clear the OP has decided he wants to lie in the form, I don't think anything anyone will say is going to change his mind.
Old May 19th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nerdherd
It is clear the OP has decided he wants to lie in the form, I don't think anything anyone will say is going to change his mind.
No I have not decided that at all, in fact I am leaning towards honesty as a result of christmasoompa telling me it would not affect my application, though I still cringe at the thought of the extra hassle.

But I just wish someone would give me a practical answer as to if and how they would be able to find out if I did decide to lie, rather than just moral or "better safe than sorry" arguments.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

No I have not decided that at all, in fact I am leaning towards honesty as a result of christmasoompa telling me it would not affect my application, though I still cringe at the thought of the extra hassle.

But I just wish someone would give me a practical answer as to if and how they would be able to find out if I did decide to lie, rather than just moral or "better safe than sorry" arguments.
Good to hear you're leaning towards honesty. I can see why you think telling the truth would be a hassle, but the alternative surely is worse?

No one can tell you exactly what would happen if you lied - you could be fine, then again it could come back and bite you later. The advice christmasoompa and FL have given you is as good as it's going to get, not because they won't help you further, but because it is genuinely impossible to double guess these matters.

Bottom line is, are you ready to take a risk to lie and potentially jeopardise future long terms plans in Canada? Only you can answer that.
Old May 19th 2012, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone else reading this you are only inadmissible if you have been CONVICTED of certain offences (assault, theft, crim damage, dui etc).
You can have been arrested 15 times and charged 15 times but if never CONVICTED then you are not inadmissible.
An ACPO will show if you have been convicted so if unsure get a copy and either submit with the application or carry it with you if travelling to Canada.
What I can guarantee if you lie about arrests, charges and convictions at a Port of Entry you may well find yourself back on a plane heading back to the UK.
Old May 19th 2012, 4:40 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I just was snoozing and woke up startled with the sound of rubber gloves snapping.
Old May 19th 2012, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I just was snoozing and woke up startled with the sound of rubber gloves snapping.
Latex if you please
Old May 19th 2012, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your clarification FL. I guess I will declare, even though I'd much rather just never mention it again and pretend it never happened!

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You must be the forum comedian.
Old May 19th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

CAVEAT

If you have outstanding charges or charges have not yet been laid but will be then you are deemed inadmissible until a decision is made regardless if a not guilty or dismissal decision is made.

(c) committing an act outside Canada that is an offence in the place where it was committed and that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament;

The practical application of the policy with respect to the ―committing an act‖ provisions is to deny entry into Canada to persons against whom there is evidence of criminal activity that could result in a conviction if there were a prosecution in Canada. Good judgment is important to ensure that the objectives of the Act are supported in applying these provisions.

As part of Canada's international commitment to combat transnational crime, the policy intent in applying the provisions is first and foremost to deny entry into Canada and thereby prevent Canadian territory being used as a safe haven by persons who are subject to a criminal proceeding in a foreign jurisdiction; or are fleeing from such proceedings.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

But that would not apply to me?
Old May 20th 2012, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But that would not apply to me?
That was for others who might be reading this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.