Apply for a passport or not?

Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

jaysangha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for a passport or not?

We have our citizenship ceremony tomorrow and I was starting to complete the passport application forms when a question came to mind.

Is a Canadian passport a requirement for citizens?

The family and I have British passports which we will continue to use and maintain especially as we have Indian OCI tied to them (visa free travel to India). I don't really want to administer two passports for me, OH and three kids if possible.

Anyone have any experience on this front? I'm hoping that should I travel to the US or return to England, CBSA would accept the citizenship certificates as proof for re-entry (not just in the next couple of months but years) given we will be handing our PR cards in tomorrow.

I couldn't find any conclusive info on the cic or cbsa websites.

Look forward to your comments
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for a passport or not?

No you don't need to have Canadian passports if citizens and you are allowed to retain dual citizenship i.e. UK/Canada however if on your journeys and not in possession of a Canadian passport and you got into trouble you might have difficulties in getting the Canadian Embassy or Consulate to help you.
Also with Canadian passports no need for ESTA or I94 waivers when visiting the USA.
Your choice in the end.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for a passport or not?

If you're living in Canada, it makes sense to get Canadian passports for the reasons FL mentioned above (US travel without ESTA or I94W to deal with; obtaining help from Canadian embassies and consulates around the world).

Even though you are a Canadian citzien, you need a valid ESTA if you use your UK passport to fly to the US. What if you ever get turned down for ESTA?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 7th 2014 at 6:57 pm.