Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Apply now as fiance or wait for spousal??

Apply now as fiance or wait for spousal??

Old Apr 21st 2002, 2:30 am
Iain Simpson

Default Apply now as fiance or wait for spousal??

My fiancee and I had planned to get married relatively soon, but after I had a bit of
trouble getting in to Canada on this, my latest trip, we decided that sooner may be
better than later.

We now plan to go for an August wedding, about as early as it's possible to plan
everything, but more recently we have wondered about the option of getting married
now by a justice of the peace with the "public" wedding happening in August.

Both of us would prefer NOT to take the latter option, but my fiancee is worried
about being forced to be without me if I was not allowed in next time around.

The trouble when entering Canada (if you can call it that) was nothing overly
serious, simply that the officer found it hard to believe I could visit so often and
for so long if I was not working in Canada. Well of course I am NOT. I am 50% owner
of a software development company in Britain, and as a consequence have the luxury of
having to do only occasional consultancy type work.

As we see it, our options are:

(1) apply now as a fiance
(2) get married ASAP and submit spousal application from within Canada
(3) wait until we are married (which we hope will be August) and submit spousal
application at that time.

With (1), while it would allow us to begin the process four months earlier, the
application would likely take more than 4 months longer than a spousal application so
no advantage in terms of time.

(4) would allow us to submit an application sooner, possibly before end of May. That
would mean we may be able to slip in before any rule changes come into effect
and we would be likely to reach AIP long before my current visa expires
(October). With luck we may then only have to apply for a single extension to my
visitor visa.

(5) would mean that the new rules would likely be in effect. Not sure what the
consequences (if any) would be. We would also be applying much closer to the
expiry of my current visa, and so 2+ extensions would likely be required. Not
sure how likely they would be to issue multiple consecutive visitor visa
extensions?

We would both be very grateful of any advice or information anyone could offer us in
determining what the best path is.

--
Iain Simpson

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 12:30 pm
Nicktests

Default Re: Apply now as fiance or wait for spousal??

hello mate, just reading your stuff on the newsgroup, you seem to be in a very
similar situation to me, I'm choosing the option of being sponsored from within
Canada, I'm not waiting 2 years for paperwork. I met my Canadian girfiriend on
Napster !! I'm in the Uk. I'm currently not working and still even I got hassled at
Immigration last November when I "entered" Canada. They couldn't believe I could
afford to have gotten there in the first place if I wasn't working ( someone lent me
the cash as it happens) Good luck with your plans though. I intend on emmigrating
before Winter this year.

cheers Nick "Iain Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > My fiancee and I had planned to get married relatively soon, but after I had a bit
    > of trouble getting in to Canada on this, my latest trip, we decided that sooner may
    > be better than later.
    >
    > We now plan to go for an August wedding, about as early as it's possible to plan
    > everything, but more recently we have wondered about the option of getting married
    > now by a justice of the peace with the "public" wedding happening in August.
    >
    > Both of us would prefer NOT to take the latter option, but my fiancee is worried
    > about being forced to be without me if I was not allowed in next time around.
    >
    > The trouble when entering Canada (if you can call it that) was nothing overly
    > serious, simply that the officer found it hard to believe I could visit so often
    > and for so long if I was not working in Canada. Well of course I am NOT. I am 50%
    > owner of a software development company in Britain, and as a consequence have the
    > luxury of having to do only occasional consultancy type work.
    >
    > As we see it, our options are:
    >
    > (1) apply now as a fiance
    > (2) get married ASAP and submit spousal application from within Canada
    > (3) wait until we are married (which we hope will be August) and submit spousal
    > application at that time.
    >
    > With (1), while it would allow us to begin the process four months earlier, the
    > application would likely take more than 4 months longer than a spousal application
    > so no advantage in terms of time.
    >
    > (2) would allow us to submit an application sooner, possibly before end of May.
    > That would mean we may be able to slip in before any rule changes come into
    > effect and we would be likely to reach AIP long before my current visa expires
    > (October). With luck we may then only have to apply for a single extension to
    > my visitor visa.
    >
    > (3) would mean that the new rules would likely be in effect. Not sure what the
    > consequences (if any) would be. We would also be applying much closer to the
    > expiry of my current visa, and so 2+ extensions would likely be required. Not
    > sure how likely they would be to issue multiple consecutive visitor visa
    > extensions?
    >
    > We would both be very grateful of any advice or information anyone could offer us
    > in determining what the best path is.
    >
    > --
    > Iain Simpson