Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Application for Spousal Open Work Permit

Application for Spousal Open Work Permit

Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

clarkee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Application for Spousal Open Work Permit

Hi, as you can see it is my first posting. I have been reading the wikis and looking at the blog and can't quite find the answer to my question, which is...

I have my LMO and offer letter and other bits to obtain a TWP at the POE (there is insufficient time to process in London) and my girlfriend will be coming along 2-3 months later. What are people thoughts on how best to obtain her open work permit? It would seem she could apply as soon as she has a copy my TWP? Does anyone have experience of applying for spousal permit seperately?

Hope that makes sense and I look forward to your thoughts...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:17 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for Spousal Open Work Permit

Hi

Originally Posted by clarkee
Hi, as you can see it is my first posting. I have been reading the wikis and looking at the blog and can't quite find the answer to my question, which is...

I have my LMO and offer letter and other bits to obtain a TWP at the POE (there is insufficient time to process in London) and my girlfriend will be coming along 2-3 months later. What are people thoughts on how best to obtain her open work permit? It would seem she could apply as soon as she has a copy my TWP? Does anyone have experience of applying for spousal permit seperately?

Hope that makes sense and I look forward to your thoughts...
1. Are you a common/law couple? You refer to her as a girlfriend, and if you are not a c/law couple or you can't prove it, she won't be considered for a Spousal Open Work Permit. Coming over 2/3 months after you will probably ring alarm bells with the IO as the C/law commitment. She may very well have problems getting a work permit.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:36 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

and...

2. Is your job in Skill Level 0, A or B according to NOC (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/docs..._English.pdf)? If not then she does not qualify for a spousal open work permit even if you have established your common law status (which requires that you have lived together in a conjugal relationship for at least a year)
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Are you a common/law couple? You refer to her as a girlfriend, and if you are not a c/law couple or you can't prove it, she won't be considered for a Spousal Open Work Permit. Coming over 2/3 months after you will probably ring alarm bells with the IO as the C/law commitment. She may very well have problems getting a work permit.

My wife came to Canada on an Open Work Permit 7 weeks after I arrived on an TWP. She is a non-European national and this was the reason for the delay in getting her over. However, it proved to be not a problem. I wrote a letter of invitation, had her enclose a copy of my permit, my LMO and about 15 other pieces of paperwork/forms and the permit approval came through about 5 weeks after she submitted it all to CHC in London. As long as you can prove she is your Common Law paertner then it should be fine.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:42 am
Just Joined

clarkee is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes to the two questions...

She is my common law partner

And yes I have the appropraite skill level.

PaulOK, what you did sounds like what I will need to do. As ever being organised seems to be the best approach.

Last edited by clarkee; Dec 16th 2008 at 7:44 am.