Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Application for Proof of Citizenship for Minors

Application for Proof of Citizenship for Minors

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Application for Proof of Citizenship for Minors

Hi,

I apologize if my question has been asked previously but my searches came up with threads that didn't match what I was looking for.

I am a Canadian Citizen (by birth) and a naturalized US citizen as well. I am looking to apply for Proof of Citizenship for my kids. We are all living in the US now and the kids were born in the US.

I've gone through the CIT 0001 application along with the Guide: Guide CIT 0001 - Application for a Citizenship Certificate where it states,

3. If you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947, then send the following supporting documents:
-A birth certificate which lists your parents (issued by the responsible government authority in the country where you were born);
-Proof that one or both of your natural parents was, at the time of your birth, a Canadian citizen (i.e. your parent’s provincial or territorial birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Canadian citizenship certificate or registration of birth abroad certificate);
-Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a passport, a driver’s licence and a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it;

For the last one, what can we send for personal ID? They're under 5 years of age. They have US passports and the health insurance card is not issued at the state level but rather private insurers, like Blue Cross and Cigna.

Will that suffice? There's really nothing else they have in terms of ID.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for Proof of Citizenship for Minors

Originally Posted by eiloo
Hi,

I apologize if my question has been asked previously but my searches came up with threads that didn't match what I was looking for.

I am a Canadian Citizen (by birth) and a naturalized US citizen as well. I am looking to apply for Proof of Citizenship for my kids. We are all living in the US now and the kids were born in the US.

I've gone through the CIT 0001 application along with the Guide: Guide CIT 0001 - Application for a Citizenship Certificate where it states,

3. If you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947, then send the following supporting documents:
-A birth certificate which lists your parents (issued by the responsible government authority in the country where you were born);
-Proof that one or both of your natural parents was, at the time of your birth, a Canadian citizen (i.e. your parent’s provincial or territorial birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Canadian citizenship certificate or registration of birth abroad certificate);
-Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a passport, a driver’s licence and a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it;

For the last one, what can we send for personal ID? They're under 5 years of age. They have US passports and the health insurance card is not issued at the state level but rather private insurers, like Blue Cross and Cigna.

Will that suffice? There's really nothing else they have in terms of ID.

Thanks!
Their US passports will suffice.

Note: For children under six years of age only one form of additional identification is required and it does not necessarily need to have their photo on it. Examples of acceptable identification include: a passport, a US Social Security card, or a health insurance card. Please note that the birth certificate is a separate requirement and is not considered to be identification.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Their US passports will suffice.
Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I would not send in their US passports. What if they get lost or damaged? What if you need to travel? Many (maybe all?) states allow residents, including minors, to obtain a state ID card if they don't have a driver's license.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 22nd 2015 at 9:43 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I would not send in their US passports. What if they get lost or damaged? What if you need to travel? Many (maybe all?) states allow residents, including minors, to obtain a state ID card if they don't have a driver's license.
Thanks for this!

I hadn't thought about the state ID, but are they too young for it anyways at under 5 years of age?

The way I am reading that application is that I can submit certified copies OR send originals. I was planning on the former anyways as soon as I can get a notary public to help with the certifications.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Thanks for this!

I hadn't thought about the state ID, but are they too young for it anyways at under 5 years of age?

The way I am reading that application is that I can submit certified copies OR send originals. I was planning on the former anyways as soon as I can get a notary public to help with the certifications.
They actually ask for (prefer?) certified copies so no risk of original documents going missing in the post.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They actually ask for (prefer?) certified copies so no risk of original documents going missing in the post.
Even better. I would never send original passports anywhere unless I absolutely had to.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for this!

I'm not aware of any age restriction. You can check with your state. Maybe the DMV?

Certified copies is definitely the way to go if you have a choice.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again to you both for your insights.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone have timelines in terms of when they received acknowledgement from CIC so you can check on the status of the app?

I'm applying from within the US so if I'm reading the Processing Times page correctly: Processing Times: Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship) it should still be the base 5 months processing I should be looking at as long as the app was completed fully and accepted right? I mailed it directly to Sydney toward the end of June.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone have timelines in terms of when they received acknowledgement from CIC so you can check on the status of the app?

I'm applying from within the US so if I'm reading the Processing Times page correctly: Processing Times: Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship) it should still be the base 5 months processing I should be looking at as long as the app was completed fully and accepted right? I mailed it directly to Sydney toward the end of June.
In the event this helps anyone else in the future:

Mailed applications on June 25, 2015
Received acknowledgement letter on September 8, 2015. Letter was dated July 24, 2015.

Not able to check application status yet. Not sure if it is user error or not in the system.

I will update the timeline as these apps move along.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Here's my timeline for certificates for minors.

Received acknowledgement letter on September 8, 2015. Letter was dated July 24, 2015.
Online system shows applications as Completed as of October 22.
Citizenship Certificates received on November 4.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:39 pm

Here's my timeline for certificates for minors.

Online system shows applications as Completed as of October 22.
Citizenship Certificates received on November 4.
Surprisingly quick, thanks for the update.