Application Process. How Long?

Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:48 pm
Small fish in a big pond

Matt UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Application Process. How Long?

Hello. I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm asking what's probably been asked thousands of times.

We're (Wife, me and two kids (5+1)) in the process of applying for PR to move to Alberta - now at two years - and have recieved from the consulate a letter asking to update our forms if anything has changed in our circumstances.

We have posted them back this week, but does anyone have any idea how long the process takes from this point. I understand each case is different, but was wondering if there was an average.

Also, along with that, I know we may be interviewed - how does this usually take place (ie, as a family or just the primary applicant) and what sort of things are asked?

Finally, if we get as far as a medical, is it a standard medical?

Sorry to bombard you and many thanks in advance.
Matt
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:51 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application Process. How Long?

Originally Posted by Matt UK
Hello. I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm asking what's probably been asked thousands of times.

We're (Wife, me and two kids (5+1)) in the process of applying for PR to move to Alberta - now at two years - and have recieved from the consulate a letter asking to update our forms if anything has changed in our circumstances.

We have posted them back this week, but does anyone have any idea how long the process takes from this point. I understand each case is different, but was wondering if there was an average.

Also, along with that, I know we may be interviewed - how does this usually take place (ie, as a family or just the primary applicant) and what sort of things are asked?

Finally, if we get as far as a medical, is it a standard medical?

Sorry to bombard you and many thanks in advance.
Matt
Its UNUSUAL to be interviewed but it is ALL family members that get interviewed.

Its a (fairly) standard medical (age related so can be intrusive..yes even for men).
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately there's no average; the visa could take three months from updating the forms, it could be a year or more. Interviews seem rare in the UK, but some people are called in for them.

I just did my medical today, someone who applied a month or so before me just got their visa, but other people who applied months before us are still waiting for their medical requests. There's no obvious explanation for who gets processed when...

As for the medical itself, it's really just a basic health-check unless there's a history of problems or something is discovered during the medical. There's a lot of information about the kind of things they're looking for at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/dmp-handbook.pdf

If I remember correctly, that says that the prostate check is only required for men of 50+, and women can take their last smear test results so they don't need to be examined at the medical.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt UK

Hi Matt, and welcome to the forum!

We were called for interview, and yes; the whole family (as per the application) must be present. We were VERY nervous, but it turned out to be more of an informal chat really, no specific questions as such. It was so casual in fact, I left wondering why they called us in the first place! The actual interview was all of ten minutes at the most.

The worst part was the (long) wait and trying to keep three kids under six amused and quiet! They weren't in the best of moods by the time we finally got in, but fortunately for us the guy was a family man himself and seemed quite taken with the kids. (Phew).

Good luck!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:27 am
Small fish in a big pond

Matt UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys.

Also realised I posted this in the wrong forum and I apologise for this. (Told you I was new to this!!).