application dilemma

Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:11 am
Just Joined

sime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default application dilemma

HI everyone,

I am currently considering immigrating to BC over the next couple of years but am not sure as to which catergory to apply under - I would appreciate any advice in order to get the ball rolling.

I could apply as an entrepreneur ,however, my business does not quite meet the financial criterias set out in the requirements (...is this a road leading to nowhere!! should I apply under something else?) and as my long term goal is to set up my own business in BC is applying under self employed an option (this, however, seems to indicate I would need experience in a farm management, athletics etc ..which I do not have).

As for the skilled worker catergory I have the required points, however, my job description is not on the NOC list (I am by trade a noise control engineer but currently employed as an Operations Director)..can anyone help? A slight dilemma, however, I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

sime p
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:01 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: application dilemma

Originally Posted by sime
HI everyone,

I am currently considering immigrating to BC over the next couple of years but am not sure as to which catergory to apply under - I would appreciate any advice in order to get the ball rolling.

I could apply as an entrepreneur ,however, my business does not quite meet the financial criterias set out in the requirements (...is this a road leading to nowhere!! should I apply under something else?) and as my long term goal is to set up my own business in BC is applying under self employed an option (this, however, seems to indicate I would need experience in a farm management, athletics etc ..which I do not have).

As for the skilled worker catergory I have the required points, however, my job description is not on the NOC list (I am by trade a noise control engineer but currently employed as an Operations Director)..can anyone help? A slight dilemma, however, I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

sime p
Sounds like skilled worker is your best bet. As for the NOC category it is important what you actually did, not what you are "by trade". It sounds to me like you will find a category somewhere between Engineering and Management that should match your actuall job description close enough.

Btw. What you did in the past and what you apply under does not have to match what you will actually end up doing in Canada.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:39 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: application dilemma

If your business "does not quite meet" requirements then you cannot apply as Entrepreneur. And obviously you can't apply as Self-employed as you don't meet criteria either.

What about Investor? Do you have net worth ov $800,000 or more and management experience?

But if you have points as Skilled Worker then it is always the best way to go. When looking in NOC for proper code for your work experience don't look at titles - look at job descriptions. To claim experiemce in any particular occupation you must perform substantial number of main duties and all essential duties (if listed) for such occupation as per it's NOC description.

You are welcome to contact me directly for free evaluation of your chances and possible oiptions - just click on my name to the left and select "Send email to..." and don't forget to include your email address in the message.

Originally Posted by sime
HI everyone,

Many thanks in advance.

sime p