Wikiposts

Application

Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Application

Thanks Rich, I have taken on board what you have mentioned.

Originally Posted by R I C H
You're welcome.

I guess that some employers might not be inclined to employ foreigners - it's not necessarily a prejudice, I think that many SME's with skills shortages don't understand or even know that WP sponsorship is an option available to them. You need to be aware of this and be prepared to help educate them.

There are plenty of companies across many different markets that do employ /sponsor immigrants. You need to target those that your OH thinks would be best suited to provide work in his skill set.

A few examples I know of - a carpenter friend and his wife visited us from the UK on holiday. They loved BC and while here made a dozen inquiries with construction companies about potential work. Mark had 2 meetings while here and a job offer before leaving for home. They moved out here within 4mths.

Marks BIL (he's an electrician) visited on holiday. He went through the same process, found a job and also emigrated within 4mths.

A friend of a friend was interested in IT work - my friend suggested he apply for a vacancy that was available where he worked (the job had been advertised for a while). The company didn't know how the provincial nomination scheme worked, so he talked them through it and gave them all the information/links to how the process needed to be tackled. They are currently in the final stages of moving the guy out here from the UK.

The reality is that few companies are likely to jump on an unsolicited CV that's arrived from the UK from an individual with no immigration status asking for work. You stand a far better chance by showing your face, meeting people and discussing/creating opportunities.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:24 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I don't feel that the example of the carpenter and electrician that R I C H mentioned are entirely helpful to you. Tradespeople are in big demand in BC and Alberta. I'm sorry, but I think an accountant is going to have to put more advanced preparation into it. As I said earlier, I don't think it's good enough to just show up in BC and start chatting to people. I think you should start phoning before you do a recce. The results of those phone calls will give you an idea of where it would be worthwhile to focus your efforts during a recce.
I agree - not necessarily examples that you should try an replicate, just illustrations that finding a job here is likely to require a trip over and some meetings with relevant parties. How you go about it will depend on your industry, but Judy's given you some great detailed advice.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
I agree - not necessarily examples that you should try an replicate, just illustrations that finding a job here is likely to require a trip over and some meetings with relevant parties. How you go about it will depend on your industry, but Judy's given you some great detailed advice.
Hi again Rich, just one last quick question.

Kelly on this topic suggested BUNAC. I was wondering if my OH got a job as an accountant on a temporary basis could he then be sponsored and kept on after that year if the company he worked for was satisfied with his work?

Just another option I am thinking of that's all! Thanks!!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:32 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxKellyxx
Hi act1980

I'm just going by your username '1980', but BUNAC might be an option?

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

I landed my work permit on a BUNAC visa.
Great catch, Kelly.

Originally Posted by act1980
What sort of wages do you get with BUNAC?
It's up to you and the employer to negotiate that. Many young folk come to Canada on BUNAC and, because they want to travel around, they get casual jobs as waiters, ski lift operators, and the like. But there are a few people who get professional jobs while they're in Canada on a working holiday visa.

Does it cover all kinds of work?
Yes. Although it's limited to 12 months, it's an open work visa. It allows you to accept any job, from any employer, in any part of Canada.

Also can you apply for PR while working?
Yes. Live to ski, who is an engineer, went to BC through BUNAC and then upgraded to PR via BC's PNP.

The Escapea, who is in IT (specializing in GIS, if I remember correctly) did the same thing.

There are others, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind.
x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Great catch, Kelly.

It's up to you and the employer to negotiate that. Many young folk come to Canada on BUNAC and, because they want to travel around, they get casual jobs as waiters, ski lift operators, and the like. But there are a few people who get professional jobs while they're in Canada on a working holiday visa.

Yes. Although it's limited to 12 months, it's an open work visa. It allows you to accept any job, from any employer, in any part of Canada.

Yes. Live to ski, who is an engineer, went to BC through BUNAC and then upgraded to PR via BC's PNP.

The Escapea, who is in IT (specializing in GIS, if I remember correctly) did the same thing.

There are others, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind.
x
Thanks for your response Judy! I am seeing a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel now :-)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I used BUNAC to apply through Buffalo rather than London as Buffalo had a shorter turnaround time
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if my OH got a job as an accountant on a temporary basis could he then be sponsored and kept on after that year if the company he worked for was satisfied with his work?
I think so. I am in the process of applying to the PNP for a British cabinetmaker who was over here on a BUNAC visa. He worked for us for 9 months and is keen to come back.

Accountants are also eligible for the BC PNP. The stipulation is that they have a relevant university degree, professional designation or 2-year college diploma, and several years of directly related experience.

You cannot extend a BUNAC visa so the PNP application should be made a few months before the BUNAC visa expires.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

xxKellyxx has a spectacular aura aboutxxKellyxx has a spectacular aura aboutxxKellyxx has a spectacular aura about

Hi Kelly thanks for the link. What sort of wages do you get with BUNAC? Does it cover all kinds of work?

Also can you apply for PR while working?

Thanks!
It's an open permit so you can work for any employer, but you would need to undertake a medical if you were wanting to work in healthcare or with children etc.

I managed to find a 'professional' job and i'm earning more here in Canada than I was on my pretty good salary in the UK. It's just up to you to put yourself out there and go get what you want.

And yes, it's ok to have your PR application in while on BUNAC, that's what I did.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mc_dub
I used BUNAC to apply through Buffalo rather than London as Buffalo had a shorter turnaround time
Hi mc_dub

Didyou also manage to secure a permanent working visa and PR using BUNAC?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

It's an open permit so you can work for any employer, but you would need to undertake a medical if you were wanting to work in healthcare or with children etc.

I managed to find a 'professional' job and i'm earning more here in Canada than I was on my pretty good salary in the UK. It's just up to you to put yourself out there and go get what you want.

And yes, it's ok to have your PR application in while on BUNAC, that's what I did.
How did you go about it? Is PNP the only route or can you go through another route where the employer just sponsors you?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I think so. I am in the process of applying to the PNP for a British cabinetmaker who was over here on a BUNAC visa. He worked for us for 9 months and is keen to come back.

Accountants are also eligible for the BC PNP. The stipulation is that they have a relevant university degree, professional designation or 2-year college diploma, and several years of directly related experience.

You cannot extend a BUNAC visa so the PNP application should be made a few months before the BUNAC visa expires.
Hi,

We would not be eligible for the PNP route. Are there other ways to apply though?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

xxKellyxx has a spectacular aura aboutxxKellyxx has a spectacular aura aboutxxKellyxx has a spectacular aura about

How did you go about it? Is PNP the only route or can you go through another route where the employer just sponsors you?
I'm in Ontario so didn't go through the PNP route.

You would need to find a job with an employer willing to take you on permanently after you receive PR. Get them to write a letter explaining this. Send it to CHC with a few payslips as proof of employment. CHC will then add extra points and fast track your app.

I think at the same time you would need to send a full application too to CHC, including all updated documents if you submitted simplified app.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm in Ontario so didn't go through the PNP route.

You would need to find a job with an employer willing to take you on permanently after you receive PR. Get them to write a letter explaining this. Send it to CHC with a few payslips as proof of employment. CHC will then add extra points and fast track your app.

I think at the same time you would need to send a full application too to CHC, including all updated documents if you submitted simplified app.
Hi Kelly, thanks for your help. Just one last question...

If we had not applied for PR would the employer need to go down the LMO route so we could be granted a permanent visa?

Also, how long did it take for your PR to go through once this had been done? And how long into your BUNAC position did you apply for it?

Thanks again, you have been more than helpful!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Hi Kelly, thanks for your help. Just one last question...

If we had not applied for PR would the employer need to go down the LMO route so we could be granted a permanent visa?

Also, how long did it take for your PR to go through once this had been done? And how long into your BUNAC position did you apply for it?

Thanks again, you have been more than helpful!
Erm, I don't think you would need LMO as you would have BUNAC work permit. Others will jump in and correct me if i'm wrong but I think you could have still put your PR app in with job offer letter & payslips for arranged employment. I got an LMO because my BUNAC would have expired and I didn't want to go back to UK.

I sent my updated info with letter to CHC on 18 Jan and had med request on 14 March, but my AOR was Nov 05 so it was due soon anyway. Take a look at my profile timeline.

It was 8 months into my BUNAC permit.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Erm, I don't think you would need LMO as you would have BUNAC work permit. Others will jump in and correct me if i'm wrong but I think you could have still put your PR app in with job offer letter & payslips for arranged employment. I got an LMO because my BUNAC would have expired and I didn't want to go back to UK.

I sent my updated info with letter to CHC on 18 Jan and had med request on 14 March, but my AOR was Nov 05 so it was due soon anyway. Take a look at my profile timeline.

It was 8 months into my BUNAC permit.
So basically the sooner you apply the better! We have ages to wait, around 6 - 8 years I have been told so I am not sure how fast the PR would be likely to come through if we had proof of a job offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.