British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   AOR from London Mar & Apr 2010 - Progress updates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/aor-london-mar-apr-2010-progress-updates-665164/)

Melsa Feb 4th 2012 2:02 am

Re: AOR from London Mar & Apr 2010 - Progress updates

Originally Posted by Mac2 (Post 9882389)
Hi Melsa,

Been to Canada many times, probably more than 20, over the years. I also worked downtown near the CN tower on University Avenue between 2000 and 2003, and have travelled from Toronto to Vancouver by Greyhound many years ago! Stopped for 10 weeks in the Rockies for a little climbing and hiking. I am doing a recee this time to suss out area's to live and catchment areas for schools as we now have two children (7 & 4). Funnily my Wife has never been there and is the primary applicant! I've told her it's nice :thumbsup:

What area's are you looking into?

Mac2

Hi Mac

We are going to live in Kingston as it has everything we are looking for. Small town life isn't for us and we don't want to live in a big city like Toronto.
What made you decide on Ontario?

Melsa

Mac2 Feb 4th 2012 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Melsa (Post 9883515)
Hi Mac

We are going to live in Kingston as it has everything we are looking for. Small town life isn't for us and we don't want to live in a big city like Toronto.

Melsa

Hi Melsa

Work availability in IT is the main driver and having a few friends already living in the GTA will help with the settling in! I have a distant relation in Kingston and I know it's a nice area, can be very cold in winter though!

Mac.

CANADIAN CARPERS Feb 4th 2012 3:38 am

Hi Mac

We are going to live in Kingston as it has everything we are looking for.

Melsa

Including a high security prison near the shops..... I pass it on the way to the golf store, actually very nice looking buildings. (google for pics)

androb Feb 4th 2012 8:41 am

Hi Mac

Melsa

Hi Melsa,

My family and I spent three weeks in Kingston two and a half years ago, on a recce (we did a home exchange). Kingston is a very lovely place dominated by four things:

1) The Military college
2) The University
3) The Prison
4) The beautiful harbour front by the City Hall.

We would move there tomorrow!

The only downside is with the prison, or should I say, the families that move to Kingston from across Canada, to be close to their convict relatives (is that P.C.?) As a general rule (which a number of locals told us), most of these families live in streets with mens names i.e. Joseph Street, Russell Street etc.

We were there over the summer and in three weeks, there were lots of free activities going on, which were great for families with children.

Incidentally, we met a British nurse and her family who emigrated to Kingston seven years ago. She works in the hospital there and "loves it".

Make sure you go on the Gananoque 1000 island cruise, and visit Boldt Island. You will need to take your passport, as it is on the US side of the river.

Kind regards,
AndRob.

Melsa Feb 6th 2012 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by androb (Post 9883917)
Hi Melsa,

My family and I spent three weeks in Kingston two and a half years ago, on a recce (we did a home exchange). Kingston is a very lovely place dominated by four things:

1) The Military college
2) The University
3) The Prison
4) The beautiful harbour front by the City Hall.

We would move there tomorrow!

The only downside is with the prison, or should I say, the families that move to Kingston from across Canada, to be close to their convict relatives (is that P.C.?) As a general rule (which a number of locals told us), most of these families live in streets with mens names i.e. Joseph Street, Russell Street etc.

We were there over the summer and in three weeks, there were lots of free activities going on, which were great for families with children.

Incidentally, we met a British nurse and her family who emigrated to Kingston seven years ago. She works in the hospital there and "loves it".

Make sure you go on the Gananoque 1000 island cruise, and visit Boldt Island. You will need to take your passport, as it is on the US side of the river.

Kind regards,
AndRob.

Hi AndRob, thanks for your reply. It's very reassuring to know that it's a nice place to live. I'm a nurse so hopefully won't find it too hard to find a job and my partner is a mechanic and there plenty of dealerships in Kingston. University for my 3 daughters. Just hope we won't need the prison lol! I will bear in mind the undesirable streets with men's names too as we are looking to rent there so we need to be in a nice residential location. Can you recommend any? Did you visit the other islands too? - Wolfe and Simcoe?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Melsa

Melsa Feb 6th 2012 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS (Post 9883601)
Including a high security prison near the shops..... I pass it on the way to the golf store, actually very nice looking buildings. (google for pics)

Hi CC, which town do you live in? How are you settling in? Hope all is going well. Are you working yet?

Melsa

CANADIAN CARPERS Feb 7th 2012 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Melsa (Post 9888471)
Hi CC, which town do you live in? How are you settling in? Hope all is going well. Are you working yet?

Melsa

Belleville, just under an hour from K. Wifey is a midwife and will no doubt make a few nursey friends while in Belleville general hospital so if we can help with any queries you may have just ask.

peeshpie Feb 7th 2012 6:39 am

We have visited Kingston 3 times since 2005 when our friends moved over there. Great place, lots going on, Wolfe Island is beautiful, spent a few afternoons on the beach (Big Sandy Bay I think) with the children. Would recommend it from the happy times we have spent there! Pan Chancho....say no more!

StopTheClocks Feb 8th 2012 5:56 am

I have arrived in Canada! :)

jobop Feb 8th 2012 6:26 am

Originally Posted by StopTheClocks (Post 9891274)

Jealous - but a big congrats :thumbsup:

Melsa Feb 8th 2012 6:49 am

Originally Posted by StopTheClocks (Post 9891274)

Congratulations and best wishes. Hope you settle in quick and things go smoothly. Keep us posted.

Melsa

Melsa Feb 8th 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by peeshpie (Post 9889238)
We have visited Kingston 3 times since 2005 when our friends moved over there. Great place, lots going on, Wolfe Island is beautiful, spent a few afternoons on the beach (Big Sandy Bay I think) with the children. Would recommend it from the happy times we have spent there! Pan Chancho....say no more!

Yeah!! Can't wait to live there :D

Malco Feb 28th 2012 6:07 am

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy (Post 9837294)
http://www.shipyourpet.com/testimonials/

We used this company....fantastic. See the feedback we gave on the website. Wee Molly is the westie further down the page. Got a great deal from emelye bunny who works there. Deffo phone them and get quote :-)

Hi Linsy,

We decided to use PBS after all as they gave us the most reasonable quote at £1700 and when we spoke with them they gave us the feeling that they will look after our newfie dog Oscar so thanks for the referral. We are planning for him to fly out about three weeks after us so we have time to sort out somewhere to live before he arrives. Hope all is going well for you and thanks again.

StopTheClocks Feb 28th 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jobop (Post 9891323)
Jealous - but a big congrats :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Melsa (Post 9891370)
Congratulations and best wishes. Hope you settle in quick and things go smoothly. Keep us posted.

Melsa

Thanks so much..

I landed and everything went fine!

For anyone interested, the following was my experience:

Basically had to join a different immigration queue, wait for about an hour (there were a lot of people in front of me) then had a few questions at the
desk about how much I was bringing or going to transfer in the future to my account here (no proof needed), which goods were to follow (they wanted a list with approx value of items listed next to it also) and then asked where I was staying, what the address was and that was it really..

They gave me a bit more information on how to get myself set up with a SIN number (like NI no.) and setting up a bank account etc but it was very smooth!

Thanks for all the previous advice amigos.

Drop us a message if anyone wants to connect. I'd love to buy some of you guys a beer or 5.

Melsa Feb 28th 2012 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by StopTheClocks (Post 9926676)
Thanks so much..

I landed and everything went fine!

For anyone interested, the following was my experience:

Basically had to join a different immigration queue, wait for about an hour (there were a lot of people in front of me) then had a few questions at the
desk about how much I was bringing or going to transfer in the future to my account here (no proof needed), which goods were to follow (they wanted a list with approx value of items listed next to it also) and then asked where I was staying, what the address was and that was it really..

They gave me a bit more information on how to get myself set up with a SIN number (like NI no.) and setting up a bank account etc but it was very smooth!

Thanks for all the previous advice amigos.

Drop us a message if anyone wants to connect. I'd love to buy some of you guys a beer or 5.

Hi glad the landing experience went well. I hope we don't have too long a wait in the queue with my just turned 5 year old when we arrive :ohmy:
Where are you living? Have you got a job? Hope you get settled quickly.
Hope those beers aren't going to cost to much compared to the UK!!