Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Self Employed and had to prove skills with LMIA?

Anyone Self Employed and had to prove skills with LMIA?

Old Nov 19th 2021, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone Self Employed and had to prove skills with LMIA?

Hi

Has anyone gone through the LMIA/Work permit route who was previously self employed but needed to prove skills in the LMIA application?

Would you share the kinds of documents/evidence that you provided for the LMIA please, and especially if you didn't have all of the 'traditional' items of proof?

Would be much appreciated
Old Nov 19th 2021, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Self Employed and had to prove skills with LMIA?

You'll need to prove two things - one is that you meet the criteria for that NOC code, and the other that you are more qualified than any Canadians that applied.

So most self employed people have things like client references (will need to set out exactly what duties you did), a letter from an accountant, any contracts etc. Those should all help you prove those things.

HTH.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Bayford is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has gone with the LMIA/work permit. In addition to the above advice, it was recommended that he provide photographic evidence of his work and to include himself in them actually doing the work (he's a bricklayer)
Old Nov 19th 2021, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmasoompa
Old Nov 19th 2021, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bayford
My husband has gone with the LMIA/work permit. In addition to the above advice, it was recommended that he provide photographic evidence of his work and to include himself in them actually doing the work (he's a bricklayer)
Thanks Bayford
OOhh! Great idea!

I do have some photos of me delivering training events when I was self employed but I am no longer doing that ...But not sure how relevant those might be in my situation because I have been offered a sales job..
Old Nov 20th 2021, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Bayford is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably not if it's a different job. He sent photos when applying for jobs too to try and make his résumé stand out. Glad you have a job offer, good luck with the application. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, we submitted ours on 27th July and was accepted 2 weeks ago. All the best 🤞
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
Thanks Bayford
OOhh! Great idea!

I do have some photos of me delivering training events when I was self employed but I am no longer doing that ...But not sure how relevant those might be in my situation because I have been offered a sales job..
No, that wouldn't be relevant then. You have to show proof of you doing the specific NOC code, not any other job. So go back to client references, invoices, contracts, etc.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bayford
Probably not if it's a different job. He sent photos when applying for jobs too to try and make his résumé stand out. Glad you have a job offer, good luck with the application. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, we submitted ours on 27th July and was accepted 2 weeks ago. All the best 🤞
Thanks Bayford All the best with your move!
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, that wouldn't be relevant then. You have to show proof of you doing the specific NOC code, not any other job. So go back to client references, invoices, contracts, etc.
Thanks christmasoompa