Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone returned a COPR and have a story to tell?

Anyone returned a COPR and have a story to tell?

Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Osteopath is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone returned a COPR and have a story to tell?

I am interested to know how the COPR return process pans along and the time it takes to be done and dusted.

I sent back my COPR (Family Class) a month ago with a short letter asking some very brief questions, i.e. if I am now going to apply as a skilled worker, do I need to have anything from CHC in London confirming my COPR cancellation or anything else along those lines. I included a stamped SAE just to make sure and I sent it recorded, which arrived.

Since then, my online file status, which has had "decision made" on it for a month or so, has just had "medical received" added as well - very out of sync, but there you go! It also states that they are going to inform me of their decision, which I would have thought is just a case of "COPR returned, don't call us".

I would of course love them to say, "hey, you're such an honest guy we have a special one time offer for YOU and you alone!"... but that's not going to happen.

I have about 90% of my skilled worker stuff together and am just awaiting another UK police check (9 months after my last!), contracts and references from former Canadian employers and am totting up the cash to reach about £5k in my savings over the next month or two as proof of funds.

If anyone has been through anything similar, it would be great to hear your experiences.

EDIT: and how long will it take to get the landing fee returned? We paid about an extra $900 at the time of application.

Last edited by Osteopath; Jul 5th 2006 at 11:14 am.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone returned a COPR and have a story to tell?

Originally Posted by Osteopath
I am interested to know how the COPR return process pans along and the time it takes to be done and dusted.

I sent back my COPR (Family Class) a month ago with a short letter asking some very brief questions, i.e. if I am now going to apply as a skilled worker, do I need to have anything from CHC in London confirming my COPR cancellation or anything else along those lines. I included a stamped SAE just to make sure and I sent it recorded, which arrived.

Since then, my online file status, which has had "decision made" on it for a month or so, has just had "medical received" added as well - very out of sync, but there you go! It also states that they are going to inform me of their decision, which I would have thought is just a case of "COPR returned, don't call us".

I would of course love them to say, "hey, you're such an honest guy we have a special one time offer for YOU and you alone!"... but that's not going to happen.

I have about 90% of my skilled worker stuff together and am just awaiting another UK police check (9 months after my last!), contracts and references from former Canadian employers and am totting up the cash to reach about £5k in my savings over the next month or two as proof of funds.

If anyone has been through anything similar, it would be great to hear your experiences.

EDIT: and how long will it take to get the landing fee returned? We paid about an extra $900 at the time of application.
As far as I'm aware in order to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker category you will have to write to CHC London saying that you would like to withdraw your Family Class Application.

There is no special treatment of applicants in these cases and you will have to join the 3-4 year queue of Skilled Worker Apllications.

So why on earth would you want to withdraw the family class application and submit the skilled worker application and have to wait a further 3-4 years?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Osteopath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone returned a COPR and have a story to tell?

Originally Posted by RodseyUK
As far as I'm aware in order to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker category you will have to write to CHC London saying that you would like to withdraw your Family Class Application.

There is no special treatment of applicants in these cases and you will have to join the 3-4 year queue of Skilled Worker Apllications.

So why on earth would you want to withdraw the family class application and submit the skilled worker application and have to wait a further 3-4 years?
As I mentioned in the first post, I have already sent everything back and I know that there is no such thing as a special case, hence the " ".

My reason for returning it? It was just the honourable thing to do in my circumstances and CHC were quite complimentary about my honesty.

As for the queue, I am not overly concerned. I am considering another work permit and I will either move to Canada permanently one day or not. Life's too short to worry about things like this.