Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else having a hard time before even creating an Express Entry profile?

Wikiposts

Is anyone else having a hard time before even creating an Express Entry profile?

Old Apr 4th 2019, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is anyone else having a hard time before even creating an Express Entry profile?

Hi all!

Inspired by the 'Experience of moving to Vancouver' post I've been documenting the Canada Express Entry permanent residence process in remarkable detail, from the moment I booked the (first) IELTS test back in late Feb:

1) 25/02/2019 - Booked IELTS test for Sat 2nd March - £175.
2) 26/02/2019 - Requested WES Credentials Assessment - £130.
3) 26/02/2019 - Completed UEA Transcript Request Order - £21
4) 27/02/2019 - IELTS test confirmed for Sat 2nd March.
5) 27/02/2019 - UEA Transcript Order Dispatched via RoyalMail International Tracked & Signed For.
6) 02/03/2019 - IELTS tests taken.
7) 13/03/2019 - Transcript delivered to WES.
8) 15/03/2019 - IELTS results released: Listening 9.0, Reading 7.5, Writing 6.5, Speaking 9.0. Need 8.5/8.0/7.5/7.5 for 441 CRS points, or 8.0/8.0/7.5/7.5 for 438 CRS points.
9) 15/03/2019 - Booked a 2nd IELTS test for Sat 23rd March - £175.
10) 15/03/2019 - IELTS test confirmed for Sat 23rd March.
11) 15/03/2019 - WES ECA in progress.
12) 23/03/2019 - IELTS tests taken.
13) 26/03/2019 - Received an email from WES regarding 35 business day delay to ECAs (after approval of all received documents).
14) 05/04/2019 - IELTS results released: Listening 9.0, Reading 9.0, Writing 6.5, Speaking 9.0. Only worth 393 CRS points: need 7.0 in Writing for 438 CRS points!
15) 05/04/2019 - Sent off an Enquiry On Results form to test centre to remark writing exam - £95.

I haven't even created an Express Entry profile yet because the ECA from the World Education Services is not yet ready (and is likely to take another couple of weeks at least), and because I can't seem to get the IELTS scores I need! I moved to the UK when I was 9 years old (2002) and pretty quickly became fluent in the English language. I've written a 50-page first class dissertation at university where I studied Computer Engineering, got an A* in one of the A-Level English Literature exams, yet apparently I can't write a simple for/against essay in the IELTS Writing exam :-).

As it stands, 393 CRS points just won't cut it, but if I get 7.0 in Writing (just half a band higher than my latest scores), I will get 45 additional CRS points, taking me to 438 which is enough for an ItA some point this year. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do or anyone I can contact to sort this out? I don't have it in me to take a third IELTS exam - it's so expensive and takes up my whole Saturday. I need my weekends to rest. :-)

Any advice would be much appreciated..
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else having a hard time before even creating an Express Entry prof

The writing portion of the ielts is by far the toughest and it is not unusual to struggle even for native born English speakers. The first thing to say is that it has very little to do with academic background or exam results at A-levels/university. In these cases you are mostly marked on the content/themes of your exams and less so on your adherance to formal rules of written English. In fact academic exams favour brevity in answers allowing more academic ideas to be conveyed in a given time period.

The IELTS is entirely about your use of the formal
rules of English. The answers you write or ideas you convey matter not a jot.For instance if you use colloquiums you will get marked down, don’t use punctuation properly you get marked down struggle with spelling, non-formal grammar etc etc. I have also found them to favour very formal , dare I say stuffy antiquated, written forms of English. These are more common in people taught English as a second language but less so in those brought up using English everyday were brevity is often favoured over eloquent prose. I remember one of my questions was write a letter to a doctor saying you need to cancel an appointment. The letter had to be at least 250 words. 250 words to cancel a doctors appointment! I got 50 words in and was struggling to pad it out. Only thing I can say is practice practice practice.

How old are and do you have British citizenship, I note you said you moved to UK when 9?
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else having a hard time before even creating an Express Entry prof

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
The writing portion of the ielts is by far the toughest and it is not unusual to struggle even for native born English speakers. The first thing to say is that it has very little to do with academic background or exam results at A-levels/university. In these cases you are mostly marked on the content/themes of your exams and less so on your adherance to formal rules of written English. In fact academic exams favour brevity in answers allowing more academic ideas to be conveyed in a given time period.

The IELTS is entirely about your use of the formal
rules of English. The answers you write or ideas you convey matter not a jot.For instance if you use colloquiums you will get marked down, don’t use punctuation properly you get marked down struggle with spelling, non-formal grammar etc etc. I have also found them to favour very formal , dare I say stuffy antiquated, written forms of English. These are more common in people taught English as a second language but less so in those brought up using English everyday were brevity is often favoured over eloquent prose. I remember one of my questions was write a letter to a doctor saying you need to cancel an appointment. The letter had to be at least 250 words. 250 words to cancel a doctors appointment! I got 50 words in and was struggling to pad it out. Only thing I can say is practice practice practice.

How old are and do you have British citizenship, I note you said you moved to UK when 9?
I'm 25. I think you're right though.. but I don't know how much my writing style can change. It would really help if they would make computer-based tests available in the UK (they're available overseas), as typing at 120wpm would work in my favour versus writing for 3 hours which I struggle with physically. I do have British citizenship, but I don't think it helps.

I'm sure there weren't any grammar/spelling errors. If anything it might be that I didn't write enough words (there's just not enough time - my hand kills 10 minutes into the writing test, which is the last one).

Last edited by ph2020; Apr 4th 2019 at 11:14 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ph2020
I'm 25. I think you're right though.. but I don't know how much my writing style can change. It would really help if they would make computer-based tests available in the UK (they're available overseas), as typing at 120wpm would work in my favour versus writing for 3 hours which I struggle with physically. I do have British citizenship, but I don't think it helps.

I'm sure there weren't any grammar/spelling errors. If anything it might be that I didn't write enough words (there's just not enough time - my hand kills 10 minutes into the writing test, which is the last one).
yea the handwriting part is tough. I have appalling handwriting and it does not favour me. Given your age have you considered IEC as an option? Gives you 2 years in Canada on an open work permit with opportunity to ‘try before you buy’ and earn work experience increasing your Score for PR down the road.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Given your age have you considered IEC as an option? Gives you 2 years in Canada on an open work permit with opportunity to ‘try before you buy’ and earn work experience increasing your Score for PR down the road.
+1. That's by far your easiest, cheapest and quickest way to Canada. Once you're there working on the IEC, you'd easily score enough for EE without needing to retake IELTS.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. That's by far your easiest, cheapest and quickest way to Canada. Once you're there working on the IEC, you'd easily score enough for EE without needing to retake IELTS.
I received an ItA for the IEC back in July, but didn't go through with it because I took up a new job. The thing with IEC is, I would need to pay a lot of money for 2 years of health insurance, and might struggle to find a job on a temporary visa/without permanent residence. If I stay a year though it would give me the points I need for PR and I can apply for it while there since my ECA and IELTS would still be valid...

I would much rather skip that though if the only difference is the IELTS Writing test.. literally the only difference now between IEC and Express Entry is half a band in writing (7.0 vs current 6.5).
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

The thing with IEC is, I would need to pay a lot of money for 2 years of health insurance
Take the overall point but the bit above is a drop in the ocean versus the costs of relocating and setting up a life in a new country.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Take the overall point but the bit above is a drop in the ocean versus the costs of relocating and setting up a life in a new country.
The cost would be the same to me in that respect though, because I don't own a car or a house, and I'm single. So I would need to rent there and find a new job either way. It's just that IEC requires health insurance but PR doesn't.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

+1. Even if you're single, it's still going to cost you a good chunk to move, and tbh health insurance for 2 years isn't going to cost much more than another IELTS anyway?

And you wouldn't struggle to find a job on IEC versus PR, you're still work authorised so no difference really if you would have PR by the end of the 2 years anyway. If you can get a job offer with PR, you would get one with IEC too.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

+1. Even if you're single, it's still going to cost you a good chunk to move, and tbh health insurance for 2 years isn't going to cost much more than another IELTS anyway?

And you wouldn't struggle to find a job on IEC versus PR, you're still work authorised so no difference really if you would have PR by the end of the 2 years anyway. If you can get a job offer with PR, you would get one with IEC too.
I believe it's $2200 CAD/£1300 for a 2-year policy. IELTS is £175 a pop. 2 pops so far, plus a remark (£95) submitted today, and potentially a third pop. :-)

Edit: Say I take the tests again (need to do all 4 even if I got maximum in 3 of them...), and the third time around I get less than required in one of the other areas.. I can't exactly mix and match my test results, I would need to use the latest one. Surely there's a way to contact somebody about this? I think Speaking and Writing should be split into half bands when it comes to CRS point allocation, rather than 7.5-9.0 being one whole category. If Speaking was split, I would get more points for having 9.0. Or perhaps they should take the overall score? In the first test my overall was 8.0/9, and in the 2nd, my overall was 8.5/9. Argh.

Last edited by ph2020; Apr 5th 2019 at 12:47 am.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:45 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

The writing test can be tough but it was the easiest one for me. I struggled with the reading.

Looking at your last test your scores they were great. The writing just needs to be 'upped' a little more and you will get the scores required. I always structured the second part (essay) so, beginning, middle and end. The main part being a conclusion with an after-thought. My writing test essay was on inner-city developments and whether they are good or bad in short. Write your structure so, good list and a bad list and an introduction and conclusion. Just make a few sentences on the points on your list. The after-thought concentrating on future events, issues and maybe terrorism-related threats. You should be able to get the required 250 words easily and if you haven't all expanded the points on your list, at least the examiner will be able to see that. As you only have an hour to do the test I spent 5 minutes on the letter, 5 minutes planning the essay and the rest writing the essay.

I would normally recommend the cambridge exam papers but the answer section with the essay's are not really up to scratch. ( https://www.afarinesh.org/cambridge-...free-download/ )
As the other OP's have said the best way to brush up is practice. If you plan to give the test another go then practice a little more until your ready.

Good luck on whichever route you choose!

Last edited by G0ldie; Apr 5th 2019 at 12:50 am. Reason: adding words
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G0ldie
The writing test can be tough but it was the easiest one for me. I struggled with the reading.

Looking at your last test your scores they were great. The writing just needs to be 'upped' a little more and you will get the scores required. I always structured the second part (essay) so, beginning, middle and end. The main part being a conclusion with an after-thought. My writing test essay was on inner-city developments and whether they are good or bad in short. Write your structure so, good list and a bad list and an introduction and conclusion. Just make a few sentences on the points on your list. The after-thought concentrating on future events, issues and maybe terrorism-related threats. You should be able to get the required 250 words easily and if you haven't all the points on your list, at least the examiner will be able to see that. As you only have an hour to do the test I spent 5 minutes on the letter, 5 minutes planning the essay and the rest writing the essay.

I would normally recommend the cambridge exam papers but the answer section with the essay's are not really up to scratch. ( https://www.afarinesh.org/cambridge-...free-download/ )
As the other OP's have said the best way to brush up is practice. If you plan to give the test another go then practice a little more until your ready.

Good luck on whichever route you choose!
Thank you! I think panicking during the test isn't helping my case much, but my biggest problem is my inability to write for extended periods of time. I hold the pen/pencil differently to others, and it has kind of left a permanent swelling on my middle finger southwest of the nail. That coupled with the amount of physical pressure I put on the pen while trying to write fast and legibly means I can't write for long before I have to hold my right wrist with my left hand. I wish I could go see a doctor and get a note to excuse me from the writing test! Either that or get them to let me type it up like others do overseas.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I believe it's $2200 CAD/£1300 for a 2-year policy.
It shouldn't be anywhere near that amount. Check the IEC thread for recommendations, I think True Traveller is one that is often used.

I think Speaking and Writing should be split into half bands when it comes to CRS point allocation, rather than 7.5-9.0 being one whole category.
7.5 is the highest you can score on CLB Levels for either of those sections, hence they don't give more for anything higher.

One option that hasn't been mentioned, but I assume isn't a goer if you don't want to spend money on health insurance, is going over to Canada to take the CELPIP instead of IELTS? It's computer based rather than written, which you said you would find easier?
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:08 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I think panicking during the test isn't helping my case much, but my biggest problem is my inability to write for extended periods of time. I hold the pen/pencil differently to others, and it has kind of left a permanent swelling on my middle finger southwest of the nail. That coupled with the amount of physical pressure I put on the pen while trying to write fast and legibly means I can't write for long before I have to hold my right wrist with my left hand. I wish I could go see a doctor and get a note to excuse me from the writing test! Either that or get them to let me type it up like others do overseas.
I think that they should be able to accommodate to your issue (with a medical note). Have a look:

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org...l-arrangements
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

It shouldn't be anywhere near that amount. Check the IEC thread for recommendations, I think True Traveller is one that is often used.

7.5 is the highest you can score on CLB Levels for either of those sections, hence they don't give more for anything higher.

One option that hasn't been mentioned, but I assume isn't a goer if you don't want to spend money on health insurance, is going over to Canada to take the CELPIP instead of IELTS? It's computer based rather than written, which you said you would find easier?
This is actually not a bad idea.. I can visit Toronto since I wanted to do that anyway before moving, and whack the tests there in one go.. if they're definitely computer based then it would make my life 100x easier. Would I need a Canadian address or could my results be emailed to me here in the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.