Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

anyone changed passort after recieving COPR?

anyone changed passort after recieving COPR?

Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

George1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to all
Default anyone changed passort after recieving COPR?

HI Guys

as some of you know I received COPR last week (yay) but when booking my flights to leave in January I started thinking it would be worth my while renewing my passport as there is only a year left on it and over the years of use it has quite a bit of wear and tear (no damage to the photo bio page but a few years back got washed by the OH , although has been used since.) im just wondering as there is no actual visa stamped been issued , just the COPR, am I allowed to change my passport before I got to ensure no hold up or refusal at the border?

thanks guys
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone changed passort after recieving COPR?

Originally Posted by George1987
HI Guys

as some of you know I received COPR last week (yay) but when booking my flights to leave in January I started thinking it would be worth my while renewing my passport as there is only a year left on it and over the years of use it has quite a bit of wear and tear (no damage to the photo bio page but a few years back got washed by the OH , although has been used since.) im just wondering as there is no actual visa stamped been issued , just the COPR, am I allowed to change my passport before I got to ensure no hold up or refusal at the border?

thanks guys
Yes you can change your passport as you should have a PR card and thats all that is required. If no PR card then take the COPR form if travelling.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

They should also return your old passport to you, so just bring that one with you as well just in case there's any issue, but really there shouldn't be!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

Has the process changed since 2010?

From my reading of the OPs post he hasn't yet landed and activated his PR so will not have a PR card. When we went through this a one time immigrant visa was put in our passports. This had an expiry date of the earlier of passport exiry or 1 year from the date of our medicals. Only when we entered Canada using the visa and our COPR form were we actually given PR (and subsequently received our PR cards a few months later).

My concern would be that if the OP renews his UK passport then the old one (ie the one that will contain the visa if the system is the same) will be cancelled and thus invalid. If this is done is the visa in that passport still valid or is it also cancelled?

I would wait until I'd used the one time visa and then change my UK passport just to be safe.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Holders of UK passports are no longer issued Immigrant visas in passports they are now just issued the 2 part COPR form.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

Fl - thanks for the clarification. I hadn't realised that system had changed.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

George1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to all

Hi guys

thanks for the help, see my thinking is that as now they only issue COPR to British citizens and not the in passport stamp, as long I have my COPR and the old passport im thinking it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi guys

thanks for the help, see my thinking is that as now they only issue COPR to British citizens and not the in passport stamp, as long I have my COPR and the old passport im thinking it shouldn't be a problem.
Those who have a PR card only need the PR card and a valid passport and no need for old passports or COPR forms.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Those who have a PR card only need the PR card and a valid passport and no need for old passports or COPR forms.
Thanks

at this moment I don't have a PR card as I am still in Scotland but arrive in Toronto on the 16th of January 2014
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:10 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Just take your old passport, your new passport, and your COPR paperwork with you and you shouldn't have a problem.

(I know FL said you likely don't need it at all, but in the absense of your PR card, just take all your paperwork with you, just to be safe! If you don't need it then great, and if you're asked for it, you have it.)
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks

at this moment I don't have a PR card as I am still in Scotland but arrive in Toronto on the 16th of January 2014
So as a new Immigrant you will be landing then so only COPR and valid passport required. Providing you give a Canadian mailing address then the PR card will be sent in due course currently 75 working days.