Any ideas how I can emmigrate?

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Canaduck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ideas how I can emmigrate?

Hey,

I have been looking at emigrating to British Columbia for the last year or so, but havn't been able to find a visa/scheme that would be suitable for me. I'm now more serious than ever about moving there, but have no idea how I'm going to do it.
I am English and have lived here all my life, I'm 26 and make a living renovating houses, I would like to continue this as my job in Canada. My education was only to a-level standard and I don't have any skills on the skilled workers list.
I have had a look through the wiki on here but couldn't find anything that would be of help to me.
I have looked at studying there, and would consider doing that for a couple years if I knew it would make emigration possible, but again I'm not sure which courses to choose from.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ideas how I can emmigrate?

The easiest way to get there and work is apply for IEC Canada as per this link
International Experience Canada - travel and work in Canada
You can apply twice so that would give you 2 x years experience and eligible possibly to apply for PR under other streams.
places on the IEC are limited so as soon as it opens probably within the next week or so is get the application in. If you get a spot you have 12 months in which to move to start work.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:07 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for IEC. Easiest option by quite a long margin. But as FL said, the program will be opening any day now and spaces go quickly (Last year I think it was 20 minutes!) so you have to have your act together!
Old Jan 4th 2015, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies,
I actually did a working holiday to Canada back in 2010, I didn't realise they have changed it to this EIC thing, and it looks like the year I did before doesn't count, so I will be able to do both years. Once I do that what would be my next step for immigration? Application for permanent residency?
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canaduck
Thanks for the replies,
I actually did a working holiday to Canada back in 2010, I didn't realise they have changed it to this EIC thing, and it looks like the year I did before doesn't count, so I will be able to do both years. Once I do that what would be my next step for immigration? Application for permanent residency?
It's difficult to say exactly what the next step would be after that, because programs could wildly change within the next 2 years. But as it currently stands; Yes. After working in Canada for 2 more years, you could apply for PR.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Would it be possible for me to buy houses and renovate them myself in BC, and count that as me working in Canada, or does the work need to be with a Canadian company?
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be possible for me to buy houses and renovate them myself in BC, and count that as me working in Canada, or does the work need to be with a Canadian company?
You are not allowed work in Canada in any capacity without a visa (permission).
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing stopping you buying a house and renovating your own house. Once you do that, sell it at a profit and buy another, it becomes a business and you are working (which you cannot do without residency or a permit).
Old Jan 6th 2015, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I meant to say buy the house once I had my EIC granted, just wondered if there are any rules that don't permit foreign nationals buying property in Canada. So am I right in thinking if I manage to do 3 or 4 properties over the two years, running at a profit (and likely employing some Canadian contractors along the way) that this would count as me working in Canada and stand me in good grounds to apply for permanent residency?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:13 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a great plan, u do know how much property costs are in Van and BC tho, I hear it's not cheap
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I meant to say buy the house once I had my EIC granted, just wondered if there are any rules that don't permit foreign nationals buying property in Canada. So am I right in thinking if I manage to do 3 or 4 properties over the two years, running at a profit (and likely employing some Canadian contractors along the way) that this would count as me working in Canada and stand me in good grounds to apply for permanent residency?
It would actually be much harder to qualify for PR in that case, you'd be better off finding a 'normal' job with an employer prepared to sponsor you if you wanted to stay, and just do properties up in your spare time or once you've got PR.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It would actually be much harder to qualify for PR in that case, you'd be better off finding a 'normal' job with an employer prepared to sponsor you if you wanted to stay, and just do properties up in your spare time or once you've got PR.
^^ This.

It's much easier to do your IEC permits, work a normal job, aiming for a skilled job if you can get one, at least of the Skill type 0, A or B and get a years worth of continuous experience doing that (Continuous is not required for CEC but it seems that to count in your Express Entry profile it does need to be continuous)

While here you can do your IELTS test and also obtain your ECA for your A-Levels, as soon as you qualify for one of the programs (CEC, FSWP, PNP or FSTP) then you can create an EE profile and then update that as you go along if you obtain new qualifications etc.