Any feedback on open work permit

Old Jan 9th 2016, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

koala01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any feedback on open work permit

I am exploring spouse dependent open work permit as an alternate to PR, for working in Canada. I am an experienced IT professional with around 10 yrs of experience and I am confident that I will land job in Canada pretty quickly.

However, Express entry is a daunting and a unpredictable challenge because you do not know, if you will ever be invited to apply.

I am interested in listening feedback / limitations from those who have been in Canada on an open work permit.

We will be coming from Australia, and our plan for Canada is as follows
1. My spouse enrols into a bachelors/masters degree and should hopefully get a student visa for 2-3 years.
2. I apply for spousal work permit for myself based on her student visa, which hopefully, will make me eligible to take any full time professional job.
3. After working there for one year, I apply for Canadian Experience Class based immigration, which will hopefully place me in a different bucket for quick immigration processing
4. If my PR application is accepted, then I apply for bridging work permit and continue working.

I think this is a much more predictable way to get entry into Canada to work, rather than express entry.
Do you think this is a realistic approach. Any gotchas?
Old Jan 9th 2016, 10:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any feedback on open work permit

Originally Posted by koala01
I am exploring spouse dependent open work permit as an alternate to PR, for working in Canada. I am an experienced IT professional with around 10 yrs of experience and I am confident that I will land job in Canada pretty quickly.

However, Express entry is a daunting and a unpredictable challenge because you do not know, if you will ever be invited to apply.

I am interested in listening feedback / limitations from those who have been in Canada on an open work permit.

1. My spouse enrols into a bachelors/masters degree and should hopefully get a student visa for 2-3 years.
2. I apply for spousal work permit for myself based on her student visa, which hopefully, will make me eligible to take any full time professional job.
3. After working there for one year, I apply for Canadian Experience Class based immigration, which will hopefully place me in a different bucket for quick immigration processing
4. If my PR application is accepted, then I apply for bridging work permit and continue working.

I think this is a much more predictable way to get entry into Canada to work, rather than express entry.
What about your child's heart condition and excessive demand for the medicals?
Old Jan 9th 2016, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
What about your child's heart condition and excessive demand for the medicals?
Thanks Aviator for quick reply. That seems stable now and doctors are not anticipating any major ongoing care needed that regard.

Obviously, it has to be declared in the application and we are optimistically thinking that it will be fine, so excluding that from the equation as of now
Old Jan 9th 2016, 11:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

1. Have you checked what your present point score is for express entry?
Being able to apply under the CEC provision of Express entry, you would still need to have around 450+ points to receive an invitation to apply. IRCC (or whatever they are calling themselves) really doesn't differentiate between FSW and CEC in Express Entry. There was only one CEC specific draw last year.
2. I assume you costed out your spouse's degree and the needed funds for a degree, you are going to have to show, about $30K for UBC (an example)for the 1st year for the cheapest program and then an additional $20K for living and travel expenses for the first year.
3. If you get a spousal open work permit for the length of your spouse's program and apply for EE after 1 year for CEC, you won't be eligible for a bridging work permit as your SOWP will have over 4 months to run.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:05 am
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have an open work permit it has a few conditions on, but non that would stop you in the IT field.

Have you checked how many points you will get if you get a job and work for 1 or 2 years?
If you are on an open work permit you will not get the 600 points.
Even being here and having a job ( 10+ work , uni degrees and good English scores) being in our 30s we don't hit the points yet and won't next year either.

On the plus side the IT industry here in Toronto is good not sure of other places.

I only know of one person getting LMIA and they are with a very small IT firm, so the hopes of coming and getting a job offer then after a year that employer willing to do the LMIA process is tricky. Also study is expensive and I have a friend who just graduated with a masters from UofT and can not get a job as they don't have "Canadian work experience " this may also cause a few problems.

Is Your IT company international if so can you transfer with them ? That is how we came. That will mean you have a job and income when collecting points for Canadian work experience?
Hope this helps .
Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Have you checked what your present point score is for express entry?
Being able to apply under the CEC provision of Express entry, you would still need to have around 450+ points to receive an invitation to apply. IRCC (or whatever they are calling themselves) really doesn't differentiate between FSW and CEC in Express Entry. There was only one CEC specific draw last year.
2. I assume you costed out your spouse's degree and the needed funds for a degree, you are going to have to show, about $30K for UBC (an example)for the 1st year for the cheapest program and then an additional $20K for living and travel expenses for the first year.
3. If you get a spousal open work permit for the length of your spouse's program and apply for EE after 1 year for CEC, you won't be eligible for a bridging work permit as your SOWP will have over 4 months to run.
Thanks PMM.
1. I will be somewhere 400+(410-420). Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking I will be get those 600 points if I am already working in Canada on a permanent IT job (exempt LMIA).. may be I am wrong.
2. Its bit steep.. have to check on that
3. I meant, whenever my SOWP expires and if I have my CEC application lodged that time, it should convert to bridging automatically.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UPSY
Hi, I have an open work permit it has a few conditions on, but non that would stop you in the IT field.

Have you checked how many points you will get if you get a job and work for 1 or 2 years?
If you are on an open work permit you will not get the 600 points.
Even being here and having a job ( 10+ work , uni degrees and good English scores) being in our 30s we don't hit the points yet and won't next year either.

On the plus side the IT industry here in Toronto is good not sure of other places.

I only know of one person getting LMIA and they are with a very small IT firm, so the hopes of coming and getting a job offer then after a year that employer willing to do the LMIA process is tricky. Also study is expensive and I have a friend who just graduated with a masters from UofT and can not get a job as they don't have "Canadian work experience " this may also cause a few problems.

Is Your IT company international if so can you transfer with them ? That is how we came. That will mean you have a job and income when collecting points for Canadian work experience?
Hope this helps .
Thanks UPSY. I was thinking if I will get those 600 points automatically because I am already working in a full time permanent role in Canada (why do I need LMIA, if I am already working?). Correct me if I am wrong. Why will I not get points for arranged employment (600), when I am already working fulltime in Canada - means employment is not only arranged, its going well.

How are you going with the health insurance and stuff. Do you need to arrange all yourselves? I hope it is much cheaper than Aus.

Apart from a PR holder being able to access subsidised education and free medical, are there any other benefits it has over a SOWP, which impacts on daily basis .. e.g. you cannot do this/that because you are not a PR.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Thanks PMM.
1. I will be somewhere 400+(410-420). Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking I will be get those 600 points if I am already working in Canada on a permanent IT job (exempt LMIA).. may be I am wrong.
3. I meant, whenever my SOWP expires and if I have my CEC application lodged that time, it should convert to bridging automatically.

1, No, you only get the 600 points with a LMIA or PNP nomination, working doesnt' give you the 600 points,
2, No, to bet a BOWP you have to apply only if you have received an AOR after you have submitted your application after receiving an Invitation to apply and your work permit has less than 4 months to run.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks UPSY. I was thinking if I will get those 600 points automatically because I am already working in a full time permanent role in Canada (why do I need LMIA, if I am already working?). Correct me if I am wrong. Why will I not get points for arranged employment (600), when I am already working fulltime in Canada - means employment is not only arranged, its going well.

How are you going with the health insurance and stuff. Do you need to arrange all yourselves? I hope it is much cheaper than Aus.

Apart from a PR holder being able to access subsidised education and free medical, are there any other benefits it has over a SOWP, which impacts on daily basis .. e.g. you cannot do this/that because you are not a PR.
Temporary residents can avail of provincial healthcare (it's not free but most employers cover the premiums at least in BC, some give extended medical insurance) and education. However you can only remain as a temporary worker for 4 years before you must stop working.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
With the new system
You don't get anything for having a job and paying taxes in Canada except a few extra points in work experience (nothing close to the 600) but your also loosing 5 points a year as you get a year older .
It's the lmia not the job ... my husband company had to prove a number of things but not get a lmia so we get the same points as anyone outside of Canada without a job .
It's a lot harder to be in a work visa here than it was in (nz) your restricted to small credit limits ect as they say your a flight risk until you get pr regardless of how much you earn or the fact you have perfect credit .
We have work health insurance it's over and above our wage. while most things are covered after 3 months (all of us got Health cards we didn't need pr) it covers the things that are not like dentist ect . We really like it.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Hi,
With the new system
You don't get anything for having a job and paying taxes in Canada except a few extra points in work experience (nothing close to the 600) but your also loosing 5 points a year as you get a year older .
It's the lmia not the job ... my husband company had to prove a number of things but not get a lmia so we get the same points as anyone outside of Canada without a job .
It's a lot harder to be in a work visa here than it was in (nz) your restricted to small credit limits ect as they say your a flight risk until you get pr regardless of how much you earn or the fact you have perfect credit .
We have work health insurance it's over and above our wage. while most things are covered after 3 months (all of us got Health cards we didn't need pr) it covers the things that are not like dentist ect . We really like it.
Thanks for the correcting my assumption. I have to rethink my strategy now as SOWP does not seem to be a good option, if you do not get those 600 points.

I was reading on the other forum how some IT chaps are getting PNP from Ontario ($1500 dearer though). That seems a path to pursue as well.

After reading more, the way I look at it now is that draw is unlikely to come below 450 points and most folks cannot get 450. So the only realistic options are to get LMIA or PNP .. its very costly and hard process to apply for Canada

Last edited by koala01; Jan 11th 2016 at 4:36 am. Reason: thought
Old Jan 11th 2016, 5:42 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the correcting my assumption. I have to rethink my strategy now as SOWP does not seem to be a good option, if you do not get those 600 points.

I was reading on the other forum how some IT chaps are getting PNP from Ontario ($1500 dearer though). That seems a path to pursue as well.

After reading more, the way I look at it now is that draw is unlikely to come below 450 points and most folks cannot get 450. So the only realistic options are to get LMIA or PNP .. its very costly and hard process to apply for Canada
You should read about the Ontario PNP 'Ontario Human Capital Priorities Stream'

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/pro...oi_en_hcps.pdf

Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks PMM.
As stated you only get the 600 points if you are working in Canada on an LMIA. However, you get 35 points for a years experience in Canada (as long as it is skilled). If you are coming in around 420 now you might just get to the 450. Also, after you have been here a while your new employer may help you to get PN or an LMIA, if they want to keep you.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
With the new system
Go check out RBC who approve you for a credit card on arrival. yes the expiry is set to your work permit expiry and the amount is a % of your salary but if you use it monthly and pay the bill your credit history will grow. Also if you have good credit history in UK apply for AMEX and then transfer the card to Canada (your credit history with AMEX will then follow you).