Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Another quick goods to follow question.....(sorry!)

Another quick goods to follow question.....(sorry!)

Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another quick goods to follow question.....(sorry!)

Hello again...

Im sorry to sound like a record stuck here - but I have yet another question regarding goods to follow lists, Im putting everything on the list im EVER likely to ship from UK to Canada, however due to my moving budget at the present, I will only initially be shipping my possessions that are most important to me, then when I am more settled will arrrange to ship across the remainder.

2. I am also grouping my more basic lower cost personal effects into very broad descriptive categories and giving them an estimated number of boxes per category - as when the time comes to pack, (probably 3-4months after landing) I may find I can group certain items into a box under a more broader descriptive category. I assuming I wont have a problem with doing this?

Again sorry to keep asking what some people may see as obvious questions like this. Im assuming that Border control/customs are only be more concerned over high value items - and this system is obviously just to put a value limit on what each person can import into Canada - otherwise the tax/duty free import of goods could well and no doubt would be abused!

Hopefully I will be able to sleep at night after an answer to these two questions!

Thanks (again!)

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Aug 28th 2008 at 1:44 pm. Reason: 1st question deleted - read an update on Wiki!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:03 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all
Default Re: Another quick goods to follow question.....(sorry!)

Hi Paul

I landed on the 19/8 and the customs officers words were " wow you can land every day" the reason being I followed exactly what it said on the wiki section regarding landing http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

They really made me feel like the teachers pet as I had prepared everything as described in the wiki with 2 copies and serial numbers for my electrical items. I included absolutely everything in my house but grouped them together as described in the wiki. I did my GTF list in excel and it was a very easy process.

Believe me just follow the wiki and if you're not sure how many boxes you will need just over estimate. Remember there's no time limit on bringing your goods in
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:53 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manningl
....... if you're not sure how many boxes you will need just over estimate. Remember there's no time limit on bringing your goods in
What he said.

The Wiki on Goods To Follow states:
Time limit on Goods To Follow
  • There is no time limit on importing, free of duties and taxes, items that are on your Goods To Follow list.

• As long as the items are listed on your Goods To Follow list, you can import them to Canada, free of duties and taxes, years or decades later.

• You can import the goods into Canada in a single subsequent shipment or in multiple subsequent shipments spread out over time.
Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I am also grouping my more basic lower cost personal effects into very broad descriptive categories and giving them an estimated number of boxes per category - as when the time comes to pack, (probably 3-4months after landing) I may find I can group certain items into a box under a more broader descriptive category. I assuming I wont have a problem with doing this?
This would be fine.
x
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manningl
Hi Paul

I landed on the 19/8 and the customs officers words were " wow you can land every day" the reason being I followed exactly what it said on the wiki section regarding landing http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

They really made me feel like the teachers pet as I had prepared everything as described in the wiki with 2 copies and serial numbers for my electrical items. I included absolutely everything in my house but grouped them together as described in the wiki. I did my GTF list in excel and it was a very easy process.

Believe me just follow the wiki and if you're not sure how many boxes you will need just over estimate. Remember there's no time limit on bringing your
goods in

Manningl and Judy,

Thankyou both again for you input, I have read the wiki section a few times, I just wasn't sure how to catergorise stuff really - what to put in what box, and under what category etc.... but I have done my list now (on Excel) which I have broken down into very broad categories, with an over estimated number of boxes next to it. The only exception ive made is for higher value single items which I have itemised. Im hoping its going to acceptable!:

I shall find out a week on Wednesday!

Paul