Another dual passport question !

Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold
Default Another dual passport question !

Hi folks.

So I've read on here many times about people using dual passports and I'm in the same boat (I have both UK and Canadian passports.)

I am travelling tonight with my 3-month old son who only has a Canadian passport and last night my husband (who is staying home with my 2-year old) threw a spanner in the works when I told him my travel plans. Now I'm confused and want to ask your advice as to what I should do and which passport I should use at different points of travel.

So here's my plan:
We fly tonight from Toronto to Dublin. I checked in online and used my Canadian passport number. I will use my Canadian passport to board.
After arriving in Dublin we then take a connecting flight to Birmingham. Again I plan on using my Canadian passport to board the flight.
When I arrive in B'ham I was planning on going through the UK/EU line at immigration and enter the UK on my British passport. (My son will still use his Canadian since that's all he has.)
So far how does that sound?

Now for the return;
When i check in online (B'ham to Dublin) which passport number do I use? I assume UK one and I leave on my UK passport? Or should I use Canadian one?
Also connecting from Dublin to Toronto which passport should I use?
Only thing I know is I will enter Canada on on Canadian passport.

So your thoughts on this are appreciated. My husband says I can't leave on one passport and get to the other end on a different passport.

Thanks!
Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another dual passport question !

I agree with your husband.....and think you are complicating your trip too much. I'd travel the whole trip as a Canadian, unless you are needing to apply for visas.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it ...

If your flight was booked using your Canadian passport then use this at all times to board planes. Use your UK passport to enter the UK if you wish. If you do, keep both passports handy on your return journey in case someone wants to know why there is no UK entry stamp in your Canadian passport.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 3:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As I understand it ...

If your flight was booked using your Canadian passport then use this at all times to board planes. Use your UK passport to enter the UK if you wish. If you do, keep both passports handy on your return journey in case someone wants to know why there is no UK entry stamp in your Canadian passport.
What 'e said!

Canadian all the way, with the possible exception of entering the UK if the non-UK lines are longer. You will need to check-in on your return leg to Canada using your Canadian passport, otherwise you won't be allowed to board because if you used your British passport you'd be required to have an eTA.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Ok. Thanks all.

I seem to recall entering the UK on my British passport last time but my memory is hazy!

I'll have both passports handy so they can look at them both if they so wish.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what JonboyE said. Use your Canadian passport to do all your checkins, boarding, etc, and use your UK passport to enter the UK. (We are flying out tomorrow to London and doing exactly that. Checking in with Canadian, using Canadian to board all flights, but using UK to enter the UK. Baby Schnooks only has a Canadian passport but will obv join us in the UK/EU line.)
Old Oct 15th 2016, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
Ok. Thanks all.

I seem to recall entering the UK on my British passport last time but my memory is hazy!

I'll have both passports handy so they can look at them both if they so wish.
Yes you should enter the UK on your UK passport.

Simplest is to use your Canadian passport with the airline at all times, and the only time you present your UK passport is to UK immigration on your way into the UK. On your way back to Canada show your Canadian passport everywhere unless you are asked why there is no UK stamp in your Canadian passport, then show your UK.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks.

So I've read on here many times about people using dual passports and I'm in the same boat (I have both UK and Canadian passports.)

I am travelling tonight with my 3-month old son who only has a Canadian passport and last night my husband (who is staying home with my 2-year old) threw a spanner in the works when I told him my travel plans. Now I'm confused and want to ask your advice as to what I should do and which passport I should use at different points of travel.

So here's my plan:
We fly tonight from Toronto to Dublin. I checked in online and used my Canadian passport number. I will use my Canadian passport to board.
After arriving in Dublin we then take a connecting flight to Birmingham. Again I plan on using my Canadian passport to board the flight.
When I arrive in B'ham I was planning on going through the UK/EU line at immigration and enter the UK on my British passport. (My son will still use his Canadian since that's all he has.)
So far how does that sound?
Looks like you've already gone but you should have hit immigration only in Dublin. You shouldn't have hit an immigration check after the Dublin to Birmingham flight as there is a common travel area between Ireland and the UK. That is, the UK assmes the immigration check was already done in Ireland.

Now for the return;
When i check in online (B'ham to Dublin) which passport number do I use? I assume UK one and I leave on my UK passport? Or should I use Canadian one?
Also connecting from Dublin to Toronto which passport should I use?
Only thing I know is I will enter Canada on on Canadian passport.

So your thoughts on this are appreciated. My husband says I can't leave on one passport and get to the other end on a different passport.

Thanks!
You should use the Canadian passport the whole way. With the new eTA requirements, you would have trouble boarding the Toronto fight on a UK passport because you're not eligible to obtain a Canadian eTA for your UK passport. The leniency period has been extended to Nov 9th but it's still preferable to use the Canadian passport for the flights back.