Andrew, Please help ease my mind!

Old Feb 9th 2002, 3:31 pm
Sk

I was excited to see that a consultant answers questions that are posted on this
board which is why I posted on here but dissapointed to see that my questions were
not answered except for one. Please Andrew, can you answer my questions below for me
so I can relax and have a normal life for a couple of days. I'm very stressed over
not knowing the facts and number 7 is may main worry.

Thank you in advance, SK

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 9th 2002, 3:54 pm
Andrew Miller

Looks like you are really confused about more than 1 issue and you should probably
seek professional advice. But for starters here are answers to your not so clear
questions:

1. I have no idea what letter you are talking about, so I can't comment on that. To
be able to get married you need to be free to marry and you need to obtain
marriage license (not marriage certificate) first.

2. Who? City Hall or immigration? But on both counts - not.

3. If you submit spousal application from within Canada then you must stay in Canada
until you receive your PR status - inland application process is being granted on
Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds when you claim that being separated from
your spouse will cause a hardship for both of you. So, leaving Canada during the
process will contradict your claim. But after AIP it may be possible (but not
guaranteed) that you will be allowed to re-enter Canada after visit to US.

4. see the above. Inland process may take about 9 to 14 months to complete.

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. There may be other reasons for refusal, not only criminal or medical
inadmissibility.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > My fiance, (a Canadian Citizen) and I(a US citizen) were going to submit the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Family Class Sponsorhip Application as a Fiance next week so I can move up to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Toronto after the application was approved and then we could get married. We did[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > some investigating regarding the new law and was informed by many that the new[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > law will come into effect on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 6/28/02 and does not allow fiance's as a family class member any longer. We were[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not told by anyone if this law will become retroactive and when I contacted[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Buffalo, they said they were not trained on the new law yet so they were[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > unable to answer me.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My fiance and I have decided instead of taking the risk of having our fiance[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application rejected and then getting married and submitting a Spouse[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application, and CIC seeing our names on file as originally submitted as fiance,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that we would get married instead and then submit the family class application[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but as a SPOUSE not a fiance. We were afraid that they would give us a harder[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > time seeing that we submitted first as Fiance and then in turn submit our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application as Spouse knowing they probably keep some sort of a record of names.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > We have hit some bumps in the road, as I was previously married and we need to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > get a letter from a lawyer in the province of Ontario before we can be married at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > City Hall in Ontario. I am in the process of providing her with the necessary[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > information that she needs.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The questions I have to ask is:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1. Once we have that letter and submit our marriage certificate to the registrar,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > can we be married in City Hall in Toronto Canada?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2. Will they give us a hard time because I'm from the US?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3. After we do get married if it is accepted, do I legally have to leave Toronto[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada to come back here to the US or can I remain with husband while the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application for Spouse is being sent in and if I can, how do I go about doing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > it legally?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 4. If I do have to return to the US how long will the Spouse application usually[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > take to be approved?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 5. Do Spouse application have preference over independent or business[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > applications?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 6. When submitting the Spouse application is it helpful to include photos of our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > marriage, copies of phone bills from the last three years, letters or cards we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > exchanged to one another. Anything to prove that we DO know one another and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > this is not for me just to get into Canada as I am from the US and the only[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > reason I'm moving to Canada is to be with my fiance/husband so we can finally[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > start our lives together?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 7. If I pass the medical with flying colors and the security check as I have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > never had a criminal record and am in perfect health, Can the CIC at all deny[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a husband and wife to be together??[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I need someone to definitely let me know the answer to number 7 as if I can't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > be with my husband to be, I would just die inside. It's not right to not allow[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > two people to be together who love each other so much and have been through so[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > many obstacles, to get to where they are now. So please tell me they can't do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that to us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thank you in advance for your responses.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > SK[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 9th 2002, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

CN Tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SK,
There is a Canadian immigration Yahoo! Group that specifically focuses on sharing information and advice about spousal applications and it is full of many people - mainly from the US - who I'm certain would be only to happy to answer your questions as they have been/are going through the process right now. They are a really great bunch and I'm sure will offer you much reassurance!

You can find them here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canadian_immigration

Good luck
Claire