Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Old Aug 11th 2004, 6:17 am
Ss

Default Amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/20.../sor167-e.html

from this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/whatsnew/index.html

as it states on previous link

- The group of persons eligible for arranged employment points has been
amended to include recent graduates who have studied and worked in Canada.
These applicants have good economic settlement potential as skilled worker
immigrants. Without the regulatory amendments, skilled workers who are
recent graduates have greater difficulty in obtaining arranged employment
points, as a permanent job offer would need to be confirmed by Human
Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) in order to be eligible;

so this means If I'm graduate from Canadian college and I've worked in
Canada for 1 yr I don't have to get arranged employment to get 15 points ?

Can Experts like Andrew Miller, Jim Humphries , PMM , Jim Metcalfe confirm
that for me please

THanks everyone

Sukhwinder

Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Xylene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Originally Posted by Ss

that for me please

THanks everyone

Sukhwinder
Looks like that recent graduates are to get the HRDC points for arranged employment (how how are they defining "recent")
Also in order to get the points he must meet the arrangement employment
condition at the time of applying and aslo at the time of assesment.
previously it meant you needed to ahve that work permit valid at teh time of assesment...i guess what it woudl mean in this case.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:26 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

NO, it doean't mean that at all. You still need to meet all the conditions (proper job offer and/or work permit) but the requirement to have work permit valid for at least 12 months from application has been eliminated. Now all you need is work permit valid at the time of application and at the time of assessment - it may be 2 different work permits obtained at different times. This change makes it easier for recent graduates who's initial post-graduate work permit could only be valid for up to 12 months, thus by the time their PR applications were received such permit's validity was obviously less than 12 months, thus not meeting requirements.

Originally Posted by Ss

that for me please

THanks everyone

Sukhwinder
Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Madhuba is an unknown quantity at this point

What are the implications for demonstrating proof of funds?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
NO, it doean't mean that at all. You still need to meet all the conditions (proper job offer and/or work permit) but the requirement to have work permit valid for at least 12 months from application has been eliminated. Now all you need is work permit valid at the time of application and at the time of assessment - it may be 2 different work permits obtained at different times. This change makes it easier for recent graduates who's initial post-graduate work permit could only be valid for up to 12 months, thus by the time their PR applications were received such permit's validity was obviously less than 12 months, thus not meeting requirements.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:25 pm

Implications of what?

Originally Posted by Madhuba
What are the implications for demonstrating proof of funds?
Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Under the application guidelines, if you receive points under the arranged employment factor, you are not required to demonstrate proof of funds. As such, since recent graduates who have worked here and had a valid work permit at application and will have one at visa issuance can now receive those points, does it mean the proof of funds requirement is therefore also met?

Implications of what?
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:36 pm

It is irrelevant who, what and how, recent graduates or not. What is relevant is points in the Arranged Employment factor - only those who are granted points for arranged employment have funds requirement waived. It has been this way since IRPA was introduced over 2 years ago.

Under the application guidelines, if you receive points under the arranged employment factor, you are not required to demonstrate proof of funds. As such, since recent graduates who have worked here and had a valid work permit at application and will have one at visa issuance can now receive those points, does it mean the proof of funds requirement is therefore also met?
Old Aug 13th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clarification on the proof of funds part. However, I'm still not clear about the recent graduate/arranged employment part. The regulation says that recent graduates who have worked in Canada and applied for PR with a valid work permit and have a valid work permit at visa issuance qualify for arranged employment points.

In my case, I started working in November 2003 on a post-grad working permit right after graduating from school. I applied for PR in November as soon as I received my work permit, thereby meeting the first part of the requirement. Because IA will done before my current work permit expires in November, can I assume then that I qualify for arranged employment points?

Also, when they say at visa issuance, are they referring to the IA stage or the passport request stage?

Thanks,
Madhuba

It is irrelevant who, what and how, recent graduates or not. What is relevant is points in the Arranged Employment factor - only those who are granted points for arranged employment have funds requirement waived. It has been this way since IRPA was introduced over 2 years ago.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 2:34 am

You are still missing the most important factor - work permit alone won't give you points for arranged employment. You still must have acceptable permanent job offer from the same employer.

Visa issuance means exactly what is says - at the time your visa is being issued.

Thanks for the clarification on the proof of funds part. However, I'm still not clear about the recent graduate/arranged employment part. The regulation says that recent graduates who have worked in Canada and applied for PR with a valid work permit and have a valid work permit at visa issuance qualify for arranged employment points.

In my case, I started working in November 2003 on a post-grad working permit right after graduating from school. I applied for PR in November as soon as I received my work permit, thereby meeting the first part of the requirement. Because IA will done before my current work permit expires in November, can I assume then that I qualify for arranged employment points?

Also, when they say at visa issuance, are they referring to the IA stage or the passport request stage?

Thanks,
Madhuba
Old Aug 14th 2004, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

The job is permanent i.e. I'm a full time employee (not on contract). The only thing that limits the employment is the work permit.

For the second part of the question, if the arranged employment points are calculated and awarded at the IA stage, what happens if the work permit expires before visa issuance? Are the points recalculated at that point?

You are still missing the most important factor - work permit alone won't give you points for arranged employment. You still must have acceptable permanent job offer from the same employer.

Visa issuance means exactly what is says - at the time your visa is being issued.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 4:19 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to have a valid work permit throughout the process so keep it renewed.
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
The job is permanent i.e. I'm a full time employee (not on contract). The only thing that limits the employment is the work permit.

For the second part of the question, if the arranged employment points are calculated and awarded at the IA stage, what happens if the work permit expires before visa issuance? Are the points recalculated at that point?
Old Aug 14th 2004, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

To keep it renewed beyond the max. 12 months allowed for a post-grad work permit would require getting a new job offer with HRDC approval. So basically, until Buffalo and other CIC offices are able to get the total processing time down to under 12 months, recent graduates still can't take advantage of the provision to obtain arranged employment points i.e. they still have to get an HRDC-approved job offer just like everyone else. Thus I find that that particular amendment is pointless... at least for now anyway.

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You will have to have a valid work permit throughout the process so keep it renewed.
Jim Humphries, former visa officer