Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Am I eligible for a permanent move to Canada?

Am I eligible for a permanent move to Canada?

Old May 31st 2018, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Kswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I eligible for a permanent move to Canada?

Afternoon all

I'm a new member but I've been looking at posts on here for a while. I'm after some advice as to whether my family and I are eligible for a move to Canada and some details about how we go about it if we are.

We're really interested in a move away from the UK and Canada has always been on the top of our list. I have looked into it in the past via a transfer through my job, but these don't seem to be available anymore and since then I never really give it any thought.
I recently did an eligiblity test via the Canadian immigration site and it said that I may be eligible for express entry. However part of the criteria was passing an English test, I know nothing of these tests other than a quick Google and any info on them would be great.

About me, I'm a 27 year old male living in the UK and working as a Police officer. My highest level of education is university and I obtained a diploma in Police sciences after attending for 2 years. My work background is that I started part time in retail, went onto full time as a Police community support officer and then moved onto to a Police constable.

My wife is a support worker and of the same age, she has a foundation degree in care practice from college. We also have a child who is 1.

If a permanant move to Canada is possible I'm not fussy about the type of work I'll be doing, I'm open to most things providing the pay is reasonable enough.

Any information anyone can provide or any previous similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

K
Old May 31st 2018, 3:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I eligible for a permanent move to Canada?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Take that online test and come back with the score for some further advice.

If eligible, you would need an English test as part of the process. The test is usually IELTS.

Note that you cannot work as a cop in Canada without being a Canadian citizen and that takes at least an additional 3 years after becoming a landed immigrant. In your case, your wife as the principal applicant might be the better option.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 31st 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:42 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I forgot to add, include your score from this test as well. Do this one first as you need at least a 67 on this one to be eligible.

http://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/eapp.do

At age 27 you could also consider IEC but I don't know how that would work with a young baby.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 31st 2018 at 3:49 pm.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Take that online test and come back with the score for some further advice.

If eligible, you would need an English test as part of the process. The test is usually IELTS.

Note that you cannot work as a cop in Canada without being a Canadian citizen and that takes at least an additional 3 years after becoming a landed immigrant. In your case, your wife as the principal appkiappl might be the better option.
Not true anymore, at least for RCMP, although you do need to have been a PR for 10 years, by which time you would probably have citizenship.
RCMP changes application requirements, with permanent residents welcome to apply | CBC News
Old May 31st 2018, 3:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Not true anymore, at least for RCMP, although you do need to have been a PR for 10 years, by which time you would probably have citizenship.
RCMP changes application requirements, with permanent residents welcome to apply CBC News
Thanks, I stand corrected and that's good to know. I guess it's useful for those people like my OH who can't become a Canadian citizen for whatever reason.

Not that I think she's considering a career in law enforcement but options are always nice.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Kswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond reputeKswift has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

I can't seem to get onto the test through that link Digitalghost. What is the test?

I did the express entry test and it requires me have already done the IELTS test to be eligible. If I say that I've done it and passed (scores of 7 for all). The site states that I appear to be eligible for express entry and takes me into another page to fill in all my details.

If I knew that I was eligible I'd go and do the IELTS test now. But looking that it's £170 each, I'm reluctant to get my hopes up pay £340 for these tests and then to be told on the next click of this site that I'm not eligible.

Also with regards to express entry, is it dependant on my wife and I moving prior to reaching 30?

Thanks again
Old May 31st 2018, 7:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

DigitalGhost's link is working for me. The test is for your CRS score, which you need to know to see if you'll be in with a chance of being selected and invited for PR once you've entered the EE pool - as you rightly say, no point in spending money on your IELTS and ECA (also mandatory before you can apply), only to find you're not scoring enough to get PR anyway. I'd imagine you would do as you're young and have a degree, but best to check (just guess IELTS scores for now as you have done). You'll need to be scoring above approx 450 as a rough guide.

And no, no need to move before you reach 30, you can move at any age, but you'll start losing points as you get older, that's all.

HTH.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Ok, I've got the right link now I don't know what we goig wrong before.

I completed the test but I only scored 344. Is there a way to vastly improve my score or should I quit now?
Old May 31st 2018, 8:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kswift
Ok, I've got the right link now I don't know what we goig wrong before.

I completed the test but I only scored 344. Is there a way to vastly improve my score or should I quit now?
If that score is right, there isn't a way to improve it enough unfortunately. But it seems very low to me for somebody young with a degree, maybe try taking it again?
Old May 31st 2018, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

I changed my scores on the IELTS to 8 across the board and it boosted it to 368.

Unfortunately I only have a diploma of higher education, as I studied for two years it is less than a degree.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I changed my scores on the IELTS to 8 across the board and it boosted it to 368.

Unfortunately I only have a diploma of higher education, as I studied for two years it is less than a degree.
Look at degree conversion courses for you or your partner. What's your score if you claimed for one degree?
Old May 31st 2018, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Boosts it to 389.

For this question

"ii. In the last 10 years, how many total years of skilled work experience do you have?It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B)."

I put none as I read it as jobs Canada were looking for and a Police officer is not one of them. If I change it to 3 or more it boosts it to 418 (with a 2 year diploma) and 439 if I was to have a bachelor's degree.

So would I still not be scoring high enough even if I had a full degree?
Old May 31st 2018, 9:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Boosts it to 389.

For this question

"ii. In the last 10 years, how many total years of skilled work experience do you have?It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B)."

I put none as I read it as jobs Canada were looking for and a Police officer is not one of them. If I change it to 3 or more it boosts it to 418 (with a 2 year diploma) and 439 if I was to have a bachelor's degree.

So would I still not be scoring high enough even if I had a full degree?
Unless I'm mistaken, police officer falls within NOC category B and is therefore a qualifying profession. You just wouldn't be able to serve as a police officer for your first few years as an immigrant.

NOC 2011 - 4311 - Police officers (except commissioned) - Unit group

May be worth reading this page. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-im...c-4311.534337/

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 31st 2018 at 9:18 pm.
Old May 31st 2018, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Unless I'm mistaken, police officer falls within NOC category B and is therefore a qualifying profession. You just wouldn't be able to serve as a police officer for your first few years as an immigrant.

NOC 2011 - 4311 - Police officers (except commissioned) - Unit group

Thanks for the info, but even so at 418 is there any point of applying at this time? Or should my spouse and I look into getting more points?
Old May 31st 2018, 9:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Thanks for the info, but even so at 418 is there any point of applying at this time? Or should my spouse and I look into getting more points?
Try it with your spouse as the principal applicant and check the points, factoring in the potential for degrees etc. You're still definitely on the right side in terms of age but I'll be honest, from what you've told us so far regarding your work experience, education level etc, it's unlikely that you would qualify to immigrate to Canada under the federal skilled worker category at the moment.

Have you considered IEC at all? Your child is still young enough that you probably wouldn't need to worry about schools etc for now and you would just need a visitor record for them but keep in mind that no health, education or childcare benefits are available to IEC permit holders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.