Alternative Strategies

Old Jun 11th 2001, 7:57 pm
Michael Edwards

Hi All,

We'd welcome any comments from the resident experts as to whether there are any
alternative strategies for the situation my fiance and I are in.

My fiance and I want to move to Canada. In turns out that my fiance is eligible for
Canadian citizenship under Paragraph 5(2)(b) (child of Canadian mother born outside
of Canada). However, we've been told by the CHC in London that it will take about 12
months to issue a Citizenship certificate under 5(2)(b), even though it is a very
straightforward application. It seems that it will then take between 4 to 12 month to
process the family sponsorship application for me (as fiance).

In order to reduce the application time, we've decided to apply under the skilled
worker program concurrently to the 5(2)(b) as we should both present strong
applications. It seems there is a good chance that our PR applications will get
processed much more quickly than the 5(2)(b) + family sponsorship.

Does anyone know of any other alternative strategies we can use in this situation in
order to expedite our application, or perhaps receive temporary residence (12-18
months) until the 5(2)(b) and family sponsorship get completed?

Our keeness to expedite the application is more than impatience. We unfortunately
have complex tax affairs meaning that we need to emigrate at the end of a tax year.
We'd ideally like to emigrate in March 2002 - if we miss this date we might need to
delay our emigration for 12 months.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----