Aliens Buying Real Property

Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

boracay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aliens Buying Real Property

As a foreigner awaiting approval of PR application, am I allowed to buy real property in Canada ?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:36 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aliens Buying Real Property

yes

Originally Posted by boracay
As a foreigner awaiting approval of PR application, am I allowed to buy real property in Canada ?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

robwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Pretty sure I read somewhere you can only buy property less than 10 acres if not PR.

Rob

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
yes
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:35 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but it is just pure BS. No such thing. Anyone can buy any size of property in Canada, regardless of status here. There are many investors who never been to Canada and own biggest ranches in Canada, huge condo properties (tens of condo buildings), etc.

Originally Posted by robwrx
Hi

Pretty sure I read somewhere you can only buy property less than 10 acres if not PR.

Rob
Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

robwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the rough

Might well be bull s but I did read it and didnt just make it up.
Make of it what you like . Dont claim to be an expert.
I was just trying to help.

The following was taken from this website
http://www.assignmentscanada.ca/buyingincanada.html

Please note that the comments contained on this page are for information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice.

Buying Property in Canada
The bottom line is that buying real estate in Canada is very easy.

From a residency point of view, if you plan to stay in Canada for 6 months or less each year, the government considers you a non-resident, which means that you can still open a bank account and buy property, etc. If you plan to live in Canada for more than 6 months per year, you must apply for immigrant status.

It is important to note, however, that while the majority of Provinces (British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, New Brunswick) have no restrictions on foreign ownership of real estate in Canada, some do limit the amount of property/land that a non-resident can purchase. On Prince Edward Island, non-resident buyers must apply to the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission for land over 5 acres in size, or land with a shore frontage greater than 165 feet. In Manitoba, non-residents are prevented from owning farmland unless they actually plan to move there within 2 years. Non-residents may not own land over 10 acres in size in Saskatchewan, whilst in Alberta they may only own up to 2 plots of land not exceeding 20 acres in total.

cheers
Rob

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Sorry but it is just pure BS. No such thing. Anyone can buy any size of property in Canada, regardless of status here. There are many investors who never been to Canada and own biggest ranches in Canada, huge condo properties (tens of condo buildings), etc.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:46 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Aliens Buying Real Property

Originally Posted by robwrx
Might well be bull s but I did read it and didnt just make it up.
Make of it what you like . Dont claim to be an expert.
I was just trying to help.

The following was taken from this website
http://www.assignmentscanada.ca/buyingincanada.html

Please note that the comments contained on this page are for information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice.

Buying Property in Canada
The bottom line is that buying real estate in Canada is very easy.

From a residency point of view, if you plan to stay in Canada for 6 months or less each year, the government considers you a non-resident, which means that you can still open a bank account and buy property, etc. If you plan to live in Canada for more than 6 months per year, you must apply for immigrant status.

It is important to note, however, that while the majority of Provinces (British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, New Brunswick) have no restrictions on foreign ownership of real estate in Canada, some do limit the amount of property/land that a non-resident can purchase. On Prince Edward Island, non-resident buyers must apply to the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission for land over 5 acres in size, or land with a shore frontage greater than 165 feet. In Manitoba, non-residents are prevented from owning farmland unless they actually plan to move there within 2 years. Non-residents may not own land over 10 acres in size in Saskatchewan, whilst in Alberta they may only own up to 2 plots of land not exceeding 20 acres in total.

cheers
Rob

Its the same in PEI Rob...........can only buy limited amount of waterfront land on which to build. Vi.