Wikiposts

Alberta and H1-B rule

Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

jammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alberta and H1-B rule

Guys, under this new rule is the requirement saying that you must be on the H1-B for one year or is it that you must have at least 1 year of work experience from the US. The reason I am asking is because I am on an H1-B. I have been on this visa for 11 months, and not 12 months as the stipulation requires. However, I was on OPT (upon graduating with my masters degree)for one year prior to starting the H1-B. Therefore, in my current position (job) I have 1 year and 11 months experience. Therefore, do you advise that I go ahead and apply under this new law, or should I wait for the 12 months on the H1-B.

Thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta and H1-B rule

Originally Posted by jammy123
Guys, under this new rule is the requirement saying that you must be on the H1-B for one year or is it that you must have at least 1 year of work experience from the US. The reason I am asking is because I am on an H1-B. I have been on this visa for 11 months, and not 12 months as the stipulation requires. However, I was on OPT (upon graduating with my masters degree)for one year prior to starting the H1-B. Therefore, in my current position (job) I have 1 year and 11 months experience. Therefore, do you advise that I go ahead and apply under this new law, or should I wait for the 12 months on the H1-B.

Thanks!
H1-B is a yank visa. Why don't you ask them in the USA forum. They'll know for sure.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:48 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alberta and H1-B rule

Originally Posted by jammy123

Thanks!
The eligibility criteria are quite clear:

To qualify for this pilot program, you must meet the following basic criteria:

1. You must be currently working in the United States in one of the following temporary skilled worker visa categories: H-1B, H1-B1, H-1C, E-3

2. You must have a minimum of one year of work experience in the United States in one of the qualifying visa categories listed above.

3. Your occupation must be on the Regional Occupations Under Pressure list for Alberta. Please visit the link to view the list.