Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Airport formalities for new immigrants

Airport formalities for new immigrants

Old May 28th 2004, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

abcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airport formalities for new immigrants

Friends,
All right folks, the time to move in canada has come.

I will be moving Houston-Calgary by the end of this summer. One of my good Canadian friends asked me to come to Toronto first and pass some time with them and then go to Calgary....I liked that as I need a break too and he is my old classmate. He told me that all formalities can be done at his place too.

He suggested me to come by flight, get all the paperwork/photos done at the airport only, file papers for different cards etc.

I was wondering what will be these cards and various formalities at the airport.

Sure I will go to the Canada new immigrant website too. However your suggestions/comments are very welcome.

Thanking you all for reading my posting, and for your time in case you reply.
Best regards
Old May 28th 2004, 9:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airport formalities for new immigrants

Hi ABCD

Originally posted by abcd
Friends,
All right folks, the time to move in canada has come.

I will be moving Houston-Calgary by the end of this summer. One of my good Canadian friends asked me to come to Toronto first and pass some time with them and then go to Calgary....I liked that as I need a break too and he is my old classmate. He told me that all formalities can be done at his place too.

He suggested me to come by flight, get all the paperwork/photos done at the airport only, file papers for different cards etc.

I was wondering what will be these cards and various formalities at the airport.

Sure I will go to the Canada new immigrant website too. However your suggestions/comments are very welcome.

Thanking you all for reading my posting, and for your time in case you reply.
Best regards
Its pretty straight forward. You have your COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) in your passport, proof of settlement funds, a list of goods to follow and a list of goods accompanying. When you arrive at Toronto you tell Customs primary that you are coming to be landed. They will refer you to Immigration. Immigration will confirm the information on your COPR, ensure that you are still eligible to landed, check your funds, take your phone for the PR Card. They will then send you to Customs to have your goods lists stamped.

Ensure you have a Canadian address for PR Card to be mailed to. If not you have 180 days to inform Immigration of your address. Once you arrive in Calgary, you apply for your SIN and Medical Card.

PMM
Old May 28th 2004, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

abcd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks PMM,

I see you helping other folks too. Great attitude.

Thanks again...

Originally posted by PMM
Hi ABCD

Its pretty straight forward. You have your COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) in your passport, proof of settlement funds, a list of goods to follow and a list of goods accompanying. When you arrive at Toronto you tell Customs primary that you are coming to be landed. They will refer you to Immigration. Immigration will confirm the information on your COPR, ensure that you are still eligible to landed, check your funds, take your phone for the PR Card. They will then send you to Customs to have your goods lists stamped.

Ensure you have a Canadian address for PR Card to be mailed to. If not you have 180 days to inform Immigration of your address. Once you arrive in Calgary, you apply for your SIN and Medical Card.

PMM
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

neerajpg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by abcd
Thanks PMM,

I see you helping other folks too. Great attitude.

Thanks again...

Hi,
I am also planning to Land on July 4 in Toronto. Landing process seams pretty straight forward, but I have one question.
I saw the PR card application and it asks for $50 fee for each application. Do I need to carry that money in Cash or they can take traveler’s check?
I am planning to take few thousand as traveler’s check and my US account statement, I hope that will be sufficient for settlement funds proof.
Thanks,
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:33 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neerajpg

Originally posted by neerajpg
Hi,
I am also planning to Land on July 4 in Toronto. Landing process seams pretty straight forward, but I have one question.
I saw the PR card application and it asks for $50 fee for each application. Do I need to carry that money in Cash or they can take traveler’s check?
I am planning to take few thousand as traveler’s check and my US account statement, I hope that will be sufficient for settlement funds proof.
Thanks,
Nope, you all ready paid it when you submitted your RRFP fee.

PMM
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

neerajpg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PMM
Hi Neerajpg

Nope, you all ready paid it when you submitted your RRFP fee.

PMM
Thanks PMM.