Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Affected under new immigration regulation

Affected under new immigration regulation

Old Jan 22nd 2002, 11:27 pm
Ling

Hi everyone,

I've just found out about the new regulation thru' the newsgroup. I applied in April
2001 as a web programmer at the Buffalo center. Just today, I received a letter
informing me to go for an interview (at Seattle) in two months time.

I understand from the following link
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/new-regs.html)that I would be assessed under
the new regulation but need only to have 75 passing mark. (Cos I applied before
Dec 17 2001).

However, based on the new system, I am only able to attain 65 points!!! (That's way
below 75). This is because (if I'm reading the NOC-the National Occupational
Classification- correctly) my previous experience as a journalist (3 years) as well
as a college teacher (3 years) will not be considered under the new regulation.
Hence, I only have (close to)two years of experience as a web programmer.

My points under the new system are counted as follows:

Age - 10 Education - 20 Language - 16 (don't know French) Work exp - 15 (the most I
can stretch) Arranged Employment - 0 Adaptability - 4 (Spouse's edn)
--------------------------------
Total - 65

I would appreciate advice/opinions from anyone who is in a similar situation or is in
the know about such a situation.

My questions are:

1) Am I mistaken about being assessed under the new regulation?
2) Why aren't journalistic as well as teaching experience counted? Am I wrong
about that?
3) Is this why they are asking me for an interview? Even if they find me suitable,
can they still recommend me for PR with a 65 passing mark?

Right now, I'm considering if it's worth the trouble to go for the interview, based
on my points. Would appreciate any reply to this. Thank you.

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 12:05 am
Andrew Miller

Read the notice again please. If you have an interview in 2 months then it will be
well before the implementation of new law and your application will be assessed
under old selection criteria. The rest of your post is also a result of
misinterpreting the rules which will not apply to you anyway. Just go for the
interview and be well prepared.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 1:28 am
Jim Humphries

I think you will be assessed under the old regulations at your interview. Jim
Humphries

Ling wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 3:40 am
Tony

Mr Miller and Mr Humphries, I am kind of confused, sorry about that .... I applied in
January last year. In Sep 2001 I received the notice for interview, scheduled in Jan
2002. Which criteria will be applied to me, 70 points or 75 points? Could you please
help clarify. Thanks in advance.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 4:47 am
Andrew Miller

As long as you pass the interview before the implementation of new law you will be
assessed under the old selection criteria, period. Target date for the
implementation of new law is June 28th, 5 months past your interview, so new law
will not affect you.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi everyone,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I've just found out about the new regulation thru' the newsgroup. I applied in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > April 2001 as a web programmer at the Buffalo center. Just today, I received a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > letter informing me to go for an interview (at Seattle) in two months time.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I understand from the following link[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/new-regs.html)that I would be assessed under[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the new regulation but need only to have 75 passing mark. (Cos I applied before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Dec 17 2001).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > However, based on the new system, I am only able to attain 65 points!!! (That's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > way below 75). This is because (if I'm reading the NOC-the National Occupational[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Classification- correctly) my previous experience as a journalist (3 years) as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > well as a college teacher (3 years) will not be considered under the new[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > regulation. Hence, I only have (close to)two years of experience as a web[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > programmer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My points under the new system are counted as follows:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Age - 10 Education - 20 Language - 16 (don't know French) Work exp - 15 (the most[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I can stretch) Arranged Employment - 0 Adaptability - 4 (Spouse's edn)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --------------------------------[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Total - 65[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I would appreciate advice/opinions from anyone who is in a similar situation or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is in the know about such a situation.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My questions are:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) Am I mistaken about being assessed under the new regulation?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) Why aren't journalistic as well as teaching experience counted? Am I wrong[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about that?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3) Is this why they are asking me for an interview? Even if they find me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > suitable, can they still recommend me for PR with a 65 passing mark?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Right now, I'm considering if it's worth the trouble to go for the interview,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > based on my points. Would appreciate any reply to this. Thank you.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 5:14 am
Tony

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand if I already pass the interview, of course the
new law will not affect me. However, I haven't yet passed the interview, and soon I
am going to attend
it. What I really concern is what would be the criteria the interviewer applies to
assess my qualification during interview, the new one and the old one?

>
will
    >
    >
new
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Mr Miller and Mr Humphries, I am kind of confused, sorry about that .... I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > applied in January last[/usenetquote2]
year.
[usenetquote2]> > In Sep 2001 I received the notice for interview, scheduled in Jan 2002. Which[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > criteria will be applied to me, 70 points or 75 points? Could you please help[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > clarify. Thanks in advance.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi everyone,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I've just found out about the new regulation thru' the newsgroup. I applied in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > April 2001 as a web programmer at the Buffalo center. Just today, I received a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > letter informing me to go for an interview (at Seattle) in two months time.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I understand from the following link[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/new-regs.html)that I would be assessed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > under the new regulation but need only to have 75 passing mark. (Cos I applied[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > before Dec 17 2001).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > However, based on the new system, I am only able to attain 65 points!!! (That's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > way below 75). This is because (if I'm reading the NOC-the National[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Occupational Classification- correctly) my previous experience as a journalist[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > (3 years) as well as a college teacher (3 years) will not be considered under[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the new regulation. Hence, I only have (close to)two years of experience as a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > web programmer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My points under the new system are counted as follows:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Age - 10 Education - 20 Language - 16 (don't know French) Work exp - 15 (the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > most I can stretch) Arranged Employment - 0 Adaptability - 4 (Spouse's edn)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --------------------------------[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Total - 65[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I would appreciate advice/opinions from anyone who is in a similar situation or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > is in the know about such a situation.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My questions are:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 1) Am I mistaken about being assessed under the new regulation?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2) Why aren't journalistic as well as teaching experience counted? Am I wrong[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > about that?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 3) Is this why they are asking me for an interview? Even if they find me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > suitable, can they still recommend me for PR with a 65 passing mark?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Right now, I'm considering if it's worth the trouble to go for the interview,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > based on my points. Would appreciate any reply to this. Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 6:15 am
Dobb

Old one Interview is very simple think if you are prepeared well.

- Good luck -

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
old
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > As long as you pass the interview before the implementation of new law[/usenetquote2]
you
    >
[usenetquote2]> > be assessed under the old selection criteria, period. Target date for[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > implementation of new law is June 28th, 5 months past your interview, so[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > law will not affect you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Mr Miller and Mr Humphries, I am kind of confused, sorry about that .... I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > applied in January last[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > In Sep 2001 I received the notice for interview, scheduled in Jan[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Which criteria will be applied to me, 70 points or 75 points? Could[/usenetquote2]
you
[usenetquote2]> > > please help clarify. Thanks in advance.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > Hi everyone,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I've just found out about the new regulation thru' the newsgroup. I applied[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > in April 2001 as a web programmer at the Buffalo center.[/usenetquote2]
Just
[usenetquote2]> > > > today, I received a letter informing me to go for an interview (at Seattle)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > in two months time.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I understand from the following link[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/new-regs.html)that I would be assessed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > under the new regulation but need only to have 75 passing mark. (Cos I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > applied before Dec 17 2001).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > However, based on the new system, I am only able to attain 65 points!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > (That's way below 75). This is because (if I'm reading the NOC-the National[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Occupational Classification- correctly) my previous experience as a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > journalist (3 years) as well as a college teacher (3 years) will not be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > considered under the new regulation. Hence, I[/usenetquote2]
only
[usenetquote2]> > > > have (close to)two years of experience as a web programmer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > My points under the new system are counted as follows:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Age - 10 Education - 20 Language - 16 (don't know French) Work exp - 15 (the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > most I can stretch) Arranged Employment - 0 Adaptability - 4 (Spouse's edn)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > --------------------------------[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Total - 65[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I would appreciate advice/opinions from anyone who is in a similar situation[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > or is in the know about such a situation.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > My questions are:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 1) Am I mistaken about being assessed under the new regulation?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 2) Why aren't journalistic as well as teaching experience counted?[/usenetquote2]
Am
[usenetquote2]> > > > I wrong about that?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 3) Is this why they are asking me for an interview? Even if they[/usenetquote2]
find
[usenetquote2]> > > > me suitable, can they still recommend me for PR with a 65 passing mark?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Right now, I'm considering if it's worth the trouble to go for the interview,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > based on my points. Would appreciate any reply to this. Thank you.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 6:55 am
Tony

Dobb, It looks to me that you have attended interview some time after Dec 17 2001. Is
it correct? Would you mind emailing me and sharing your experience? Thanks a lot.

>
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand if I already pass the interview,[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > course the new law will not affect me. However, I haven't yet passed the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > interview, and soon I am going to[/usenetquote2]
attend
[usenetquote2]> > it. What I really concern is what would be the criteria the interviewer applies[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to assess my qualification during interview, the new one and the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > one?[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > As long as you pass the interview before the implementation of new law[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > be assessed under the old selection criteria, period. Target date for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > implementation of new law is June 28th, 5 months past your interview,[/usenetquote2]
so
[usenetquote2]> > new[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > law will not affect you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > Mr Miller and Mr Humphries, I am kind of confused, sorry about that .... I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > applied in January[/usenetquote2]
last
[usenetquote2]> > year.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > In Sep 2001 I received the notice for interview, scheduled in Jan[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > Which criteria will be applied to me, 70 points or 75 points? Could[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > please help clarify. Thanks in advance.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > Hi everyone,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I've just found out about the new regulation thru' the newsgroup.[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > > > > applied in April 2001 as a web programmer at the Buffalo center.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > > today, I received a letter informing me to go for an interview (at Seattle)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > in two months time.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I understand from the following link[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/new-regs.html)that I would be assessed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > under the new regulation but need only to have 75 passing mark. (Cos I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > applied before Dec 17 2001).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > However, based on the new system, I am only able to attain 65 points!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > (That's way below 75). This is because (if I'm reading[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > > > > NOC-the National Occupational Classification- correctly) my[/usenetquote2]
previous
[usenetquote2]> > > > > experience as a journalist (3 years) as well as a college teacher[/usenetquote2]
(3
[usenetquote2]> > > > > years) will not be considered under the new regulation. Hence, I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > > have (close to)two years of experience as a web programmer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > My points under the new system are counted as follows:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Age - 10 Education - 20 Language - 16 (don't know French) Work exp - 15[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > (the most I can stretch) Arranged Employment - 0 Adaptability - 4 (Spouse's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > edn)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > --------------------------------[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Total - 65[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I would appreciate advice/opinions from anyone who is in a similar[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > situation or is in the know about such a situation.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > My questions are:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > 1) Am I mistaken about being assessed under the new regulation?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > 2) Why aren't journalistic as well as teaching experience counted?[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I wrong about that?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > 3) Is this why they are asking me for an interview? Even if they[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > > me suitable, can they still recommend me for PR with a 65 passing mark?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Right now, I'm considering if it's worth the trouble to go for the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > interview, based on my points. Would appreciate any reply to this. Thank[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > you.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jan 24th 2002, 8:35 pm
David Cohen

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

As the laws are presently written, you would be assessed under the new system only if
you have not received a selection decision by June 28th. This does not appear to
apply in your case.

>
    >

You may be wrong about this. The specific details of the experience would have to be
reviewed in order to accurately determine if this experience meets the requirements
of a 0, A, or B NOC classification.

>
    >

Applicants are assessed under the present (old) Regulations.

>
    >

You should go to the interview if one is scheduled, especially if that interview is
scheduled prior to June 28th.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community