Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

advise please! sponsoring a child only

advise please! sponsoring a child only

Old Oct 25th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

ndugu will become famous soon enoughndugu will become famous soon enough
Default advise please! sponsoring a child only

Dear all,
I am so confused with sponsoring a family member application. Me and my husband have both PR cards. He is now living in BC, but me in my home country. I'm pregnant and I will be joining my husband soon after I have the baby. My questions are:
1. As we both have PRs, he is going to sponsor only the child, not me. I couldn't find any form to be filled only for sponsored child. It seems that they all apply to spouse or common-law partner + accompanying dependant child. Am I right?
2. Which would be esier and quicker? Applications for family members living outside Canada, or inside Canada. I can either take the baby with me to Canada and start the application process when we are there (if this happens, the baby will go by visitor's visa) or I can stay here with the baby and wait until the application is finalized. But my husband prefer being together there in Canada with our new-born baby.
Can you please advise us what to do? We feel stuck!
Thanks
Ndugu
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: advise please! sponsoring a child only

Isn't a child of 2 PRs already a PR?

I'm just thinking about permanent residents who are in Canada and then have a child - they don't have to jump through hoops to get the kid permanent residency, do they?

Or is the key here WHERE the kid is born?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

My husband and I have both PR cards. He's been living and working there since July 2008 but I am now in my home country. I'll join him after I have the baby. As far as I know as the baby doesn't have PR status, she has to land with a visitor's visa. It's really confusing!!! Now in another thread Mr Miller answers somebody else's question and he says the application must be from outside the Canada. I am now more confused than ever! Then who can apply from within Canada? If me and the baby are in Canada why can't we apply from within Canada? I wish I could have the baby there! Then there would be nothing to worry about!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure that you can't sponsor a child.

The questions to be asking is whether the child will be automatically a PR as you are already PR's and if giving birth outside Canada makes a difference.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:03 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by ndugu
Dear all,
I am so confused with sponsoring a family member application. Me and my husband have both PR cards. He is now living in BC, but me in my home country. I'm pregnant and I will be joining my husband soon after I have the baby. My questions are:
1. As we both have PRs, he is going to sponsor only the child, not me. I couldn't find any form to be filled only for sponsored child. It seems that they all apply to spouse or common-law partner + accompanying dependant child. Am I right?
2. Which would be esier and quicker? Applications for family members living outside Canada, or inside Canada. I can either take the baby with me to Canada and start the application process when we are there (if this happens, the baby will go by visitor's visa) or I can stay here with the baby and wait until the application is finalized. But my husband prefer being together there in Canada with our new-born baby.
Can you please advise us what to do? We feel stuck!
Thanks
Ndugu
1. If the baby requires a TRV (visitor visa) you may find it difficult to obtain it as the intention is for the child to remain permanently in Canada.
2. Your spouse can sponsor the child if he is in Canada.
3. All the forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/famcls.asp
Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Isn't a child of 2 PRs already a PR?
No.

I'm just thinking about permanent residents who are in Canada and then have a child - they don't have to jump through hoops to get the kid permanent residency, do they?

Or is the key here WHERE the kid is born?
If child is born in Canada, then child is a Canadian citizen.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the information you provided.
Ndugu
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Dear All, thank you all for your help regarding the sponsorhip. My husband sponsored our baby and the process finalized in 4 months (Ankara, Turkey). It was quicker than it was stated in the letter sent to us after our application was lodged. We joined my husband on 21 June 2009. Good to be together again!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Dear All, thank you all for your help regarding the sponsorhip. My husband sponsored our baby and the process finalized in 4 months (Ankara, Turkey). It was quicker than it was stated in the letter sent to us after our application was lodged. We joined my husband on 21 June 2009. Good to be together again!
Congratulations on the birth of your child and glad to hear you have all now been reunited in Canada.

Best wishes for the future!

Adele x
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Great news, pleased it all went ok have a great new life together in Canada