Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice please on a Summer family move

Wikiposts

Advice please on a Summer family move

Old May 20th 2005, 1:41 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough
Question Advice please on a Summer family move

My wife and I with (4 kids aged 12,14,16, nearly18) have a skilled worker application running in my wifes name. AOR was March 04 but I had written in oct 03 asking for advice in timing our application. Back then we were naive (also hadn't discovered this forum) and ofcourse should have just got papers in ASAP. Instead we waited for a reply that never came and only got papers in the next February. Our hope had allways been to make the move this Summer to get the kids into new schools.
This is a near necessity as my eldest has a university place to start in Sept.
My wife is now applying for a full time MA degree course and hopes to get confirmation on that ASAP.
The medical/interview request is anticipated in the next few weeks but as time goes on our time to go gets tighter and tighter.
Thanks for those that have read this far
OK. Thoughts please...
Should we get student visa applications in for my wife and daughter (indeed would my daughter need one if my wife had one)?
How long should we allow to get these student applications processed?
What considrations are there with getting PR through whilst in NS on a study visa. eg medicals if not done in UK and final landed status (hoping not to have 6 flights back to the UK for this!)?

We are getting resigned to the thought of having to pay internatinal student fees for the first semester
Old May 20th 2005, 2:32 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please on a Summer family move

My thoughts......

Student visas come pretty quick (coupla weeks I think?) but I think you may have to have that offer in place for your wife to apply for one.

If your daughter initially applies as foreign student you may get the uni to adjust her fees once you can demonstrate PR status.

The rest of you may have some difficulty at immigration entering without PR visas?

Assuming you gain entry, I think you can get medicals done out in Canada, somebody else here will advise I'm sure, and maybe you can get away with sending passports back for visas to be entered.

After this you just have to drive across a border and come back in to land I think.

I maybe wrong on any or all counts, just going by what I've gleaned by reading the boards.
Old May 20th 2005, 7:19 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Morwenna
My thoughts......

Student visas come pretty quick (coupla weeks I think?) but I think you may have to have that offer in place for your wife to apply for one.

If your daughter initially applies as foreign student you may get the uni to adjust her fees once you can demonstrate PR status.

The rest of you may have some difficulty at immigration entering without PR visas?

Assuming you gain entry, I think you can get medicals done out in Canada, somebody else here will advise I'm sure, and maybe you can get away with sending passports back for visas to be entered.

After this you just have to drive across a border and come back in to land I think.

I maybe wrong on any or all counts, just going by what I've gleaned by reading the boards.
Thanks for the reply Morweena.
I have found the cig page that helps with some of the queries and the rest of the kids will all need study permits. I could also get an open work permit as a spouse on a study permit makes this possible. All extra bucks though!
They quote 10 days on a student permit but there seems to be a chance that a medical may be required which they state could add 3 months
It is just how messy it could get with senarious like a passport request coming when we are about to fly or a medical being needed for the student permit as well as PR application. Things just could come through in time on the own but since CHC offer no advice we are in a real dilema
Old May 20th 2005, 8:39 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

We are in a similar position with a daughter needing to start senior high in Sept we have same AOR as you . I applied to a college and got accepted sunject to condiotions, second thoughts, as I felt the costs were just too much. As it was not what I really wanted to do. Also I felt that for any reason we did no tget PR we would be abck here in 2 years. and we could not cope with that.
We would take daughter away from friend and stable home , only to bring her back again ( I wont believe we get PR until visa is in hand points or no points) with no A levels and a Candian High school Diploma. I feel she will be totally messed around at a crucial time in her life.
We made a decision it was all or nothing . We hope to be there in Autumn, and she wil start school in January and I have no doubt she will not lose out at all. especially as they seem behind what she is doing now.

if she had been at UNI age I would not mind so much but she needs these 2 years at high school to get accustomed to their system, make friends and settle. I cant pull her out after 2 years and bring her home at her age.
We will are almost ready to go as soon as we know one way or another.

I have found the cig page that helps with some of the queries and the rest of the kids will all need study permits. I could also get an open work permit as a spouse on a study permit makes this possible. All extra bucks though!
They quote 10 days on a student permit but there seems to be a chance that a medical may be required which they state could add 3 months
It is just how messy it could get with senarious like a passport request coming when we are about to fly or a medical being needed for the student permit as well as PR application. Things just could come through in time on the own but since CHC offer no advice we are in a real dilema [/QUOTE]