Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice please - Quebec work permits

Advice please - Quebec work permits

Old Oct 25th 2002, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Closed Acc 009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please - Quebec work permits

Hi,

I need a little advice. A small business in Quebec wishes to employ me. I am a friend of one of the partners of the company, but that doesn't affect the offer - it's based around support and installation of a large, expensive software product.

The product is new and based in New Zealand, so there is nobody in Canada using it (and no techs with product experience). I've worked extensively with the manufacturers for five months supporting this product in New Zealand.

The company in Quebec wants to be the first in Canada to offer this product (megabucks to them if this gets off the ground) and since I'm the only available person with experience supporting this product, want to hire me to run the project. They've aleady signed a reseller agreement with the manufacturers and are just waiting for me to get there to kickstart it all.

This company has spoken with a consultant already. Under his advice they contacted MRCI in Quebec and applied for a certain scheme (the name I don't know) which provides for accelerated approval by Immigration Quebec. From what I understand they will issue a CAQ, which is then turned into a work authorization by CIC.

To satisfy the Human Resource demands, they/we are submitting two main statements:

- a declaration from the Quebec company outlining the importance of this project, and that I am the only person who has the skills to support the software
-a letter from the software manufacturer, stating that I have sufficient skills to perform these tasks, and affirming that there are no workers in Canada with experience with the product.

Now I think that satisfies the requirements pretty well. However, I don't have experience with this, so I have some questions:

- Will the above documents pretty much assure me selection, or are there other criteria? In other words, can we plan on this being approved?
- If not, under what grounds can an application of this type be refused? And can we submit anything more to help our chances?
- How long can we expect processing to take for the CAQ and the work authorization? (assume the authorization will be sent to CIC in Australia)

Any input, advice, experience etc. much appreciated.