Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice Please on Leaving during Inland Process

Advice Please on Leaving during Inland Process

Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice
Default Re: Advice Please on Leaving during Inland Process

Originally Posted by fledermaus
This post reminds me of the writing style of that immigration geezer,oh what was his name? He disappeared. Anyway a similar "I know everything and you don't tone" plus the intermittent absence of definite and indefinite articles. Coincidence I guess.
Not everyone posting here is a native English speaker or completed education with English as a medium. Depending from the part of the world they are originally from and their native language they often use quite similar style when writing in English. I'm one of them Sherlock....

It may be hard to understand by someone who is a native English speaker and never really learned and used any other language. But it is quite easy for many of non-native English speakers who speak more than one other language (beside their native language and English) to guess with some accuracy the country (or at least the region) of origin of a writer on the basis of his or her writing style in English. But this is something what some übermensch showing off his English language "superiority" may never comprehend...

Last edited by crazy72; Jul 31st 2010 at 5:02 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 2:06 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crazy72
Not everyone posting here is a native English speaker or completed education with English as a medium. Depending from the part of the world they are originally from and their native language they often use quite similar style when writing in English. I'm one of them Sherlock....

It may be hard to understand by someone who is a native English speaker and never really learned and used any other language. But it is quite easy for many of non-native English speakers who speak more than one other language (beside their native language and English) to guess with some accuracy the country (or at least the region) of origin of a writer on the basis of his or her writing style in English. But this is something what some übermensch showing off his English language "superiority" may never comprehend...
You misunderstood my post.

I wasn't criticising your writing style but commenting on the similarity to another poster who also gave immigration advice. I did not criticise non English speakers, nor foreigners, nor was I showing off any English language superiority.

Perhaps that is how to you got to Ubermensch, I don't think I am better than others.

Last edited by fledermaus; Aug 1st 2010 at 2:15 am.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fledermaus
This post reminds me of the writing style of that immigration geezer,oh what was his name? He disappeared. Anyway a similar "I know everything and you don't tone" plus the intermittent absence of definite and indefinite articles. Coincidence I guess.

I'm sure everything will be fine, as you lawyer says just be honest.
Thank you )
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by The Aviator
So I guess the moral of this thread is to figure out what you can do before doing it.
I was aware that it was inadvisable to travel, however not having seen my mother for 3 years, who is elderly and now unwell, the consequences became rather secondary!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen1203
I was aware that it was inadvisable to travel, however not having seen my mother for 3 years, who is elderly and now unwell, the consequences became rather secondary!
Even so this is something that could benefit others. When there are potential problems with re-entry, research the problems and how to overcome them before leaving is wise. Ones motivation to leave is not in question, but trying to figure it out how to overcome it after leaving is a bit 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted'.

No substitute for advance research and preparation.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Even so this is something that could benefit others. When there are potential problems with re-entry, research the problems and how to overcome them before leaving is wise. Ones motivation to leave is not in question, but trying to figure it out how to overcome it after leaving is a bit 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted'.

No substitute for advance research and preparation.
Well I thank you for your thoughtful response. And I do hope it is of benefit to others.

Regardless, I would still have made the trip!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Well I thank you for your thoughtful response. And I do hope it is of benefit to others.

Regardless, I would still have made the trip!
Hope it works out OK for you.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

Go for it, you will have no problem now I realise that your PR problem is your daughter not with you.

OK....you may get some aXXhole IO at immigration asking you why you are returning.....just give them the facts and stand your ground.

Not sure where you are applying from but I had more hassle with Montreal than Vancouver. If you are coming back, try and avoid Montreal immigration.

Get an internal from anywhere but Montreal....LOL....you only have to answer the IO's questions once....and Vancouver is by far the nicest immigration I ever dealt with.

Land in Van, transfer internally to wherever you are going. Should have zero problem.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anewPR
Go for it, you will have no problem now I realise that your PR problem is your daughter not with you.

OK....you may get some aXXhole IO at immigration asking you why you are returning.....just give them the facts and stand your ground.

Not sure where you are applying from but I had more hassle with Montreal than Vancouver. If you are coming back, try and avoid Montreal immigration.

Get an internal from anywhere but Montreal....LOL....you only have to answer the IO's questions once....and Vancouver is by far the nicest immigration I ever dealt with.

Land in Van, transfer internally to wherever you are going. Should have zero problem.
Thanks and to everyone for their comments and advice. I am flying into Toronto, trying to book a flight for Tuesday - fingers crossed!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Gales2Canada is a jewel in the roughGales2Canada is a jewel in the roughGales2Canada is a jewel in the roughGales2Canada is a jewel in the rough

Hi Karen1203

We have been in Canada for 3 years on TWP's and have had to travel when things were not ideal.

Recently we went to the boarder to do a 'Flagpole Run' to get new TWP's and the Immigration officer was very helpful in explaining that if you are open and honest and very upfront with all the information which could possibly be asked for then there is usually no problem. He said that there are so many people who should not even be in the Country at all, that someone in your circumstances who is trying to do things 'by the book' should be seen as genuine by any IO.

My advice is to take every piece of evidence you have (Inc open WP!!) as well as marriage cert, proof of funds if you have them, any documentation relevant to your PR application, medicals.......anything you can think of so that any IO can see you are not trying to hide anything, you have evidence to back up any questions you may be asked

and

Relax!!

My 2 girls (12 & 14) just came back from UK to Toronto, Passport control were horrid to them but IO was very friendly and helpful - we obtained new WP's while they were in UK so it appeared to Passport control that they were out of status but they showed photocopy of our WP's and IO was happy!!

Good luck

Hope all goes well.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by anewPR
...just give them the facts and stand your ground.
That's going to land you in one place only. Give them the facts and appeal to their better nature. If you have problems, explain the problem and ask for help. If that fails ask for the supervisor.

Get snarky or try and stand firm... this is not a customer service rep in a store.

Good luck, hope it goes smoothly for you.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazy72
[B] First and foremost the inland process is designed and intended for those who for any reason cannot leave Canada and will remain in Canada for the duration of the process.
Isn't that a somewhat limited definition?

A press release from when the rules changed to allow spouses to remain in Canada while PR was ongoing said
OTTAWA, February 18, 2005 — The Honourable Joe Volpe, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), ended this Valentine’s Day week by announcing today that most spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, regardless of their status, will be allowed to remain in Canada while their immigration application is being considered. The change, which applies to couples who are in a genuine relationship, comes into effect immediately.

“This change addresses real concerns about the hardships that some couples would experience if they had to be separated during the application process,” said Minister Volpe.
So the minister said it was to address possible hardship if a separation might cause hardship rather than not being able to leave Canada.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

That's going to land you in one place only. Give them the facts and appeal to their better nature. If you have problems, explain the problem and ask for help. If that fails ask for the supervisor.

Get snarky or try and stand firm... this is not a customer service rep in a store.

Good luck, hope it goes smoothly for you.
Thank you, I'm not really a very snarky type person anyway

I really appreciate the advice and will let you know how I get on tomorrow.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Delighted to say I am back home in Canada

Customs went very well .... I got into Toronto and passport control was packed - have to admit I was terrified ... I walked along the back of the hall and tried to weigh up which was the least intimidating looking officer!

Anyway I got to the front of the long line ...

"What reason are you visiting Canada?"

I am coming to stay with my husband, who lives and works here.

"How long has he worked in Canada?"

All his working life, he is Canadian.

"When was the last time were are in Canada?"

3 weeks ago.

The officer then looked through my passport for the last stamp which was October 2007.

I explained I was here for a long time as I have a PR application that is still in process, at AIP stage and that I have an open work permit.

"When does your work permit expire?"

January 2011

Fine, I hope your PR application doesn't take too much longer.

PHEW!!

I don't take lightly my decision to take such a risk, and wouldn't recommend doing it to anyone - I think I was very lucky.

Thanks again for the support and kind words - hopefully my PR doesn't take too much longer!

Karen
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:54 am

Delighted to say I am back home in Canada

Customs went very well .... I got into Toronto and passport control was packed - have to admit I was terrified ... I walked along the back of the hall and tried to weigh up which was the least intimidating looking officer!

Anyway I got to the front of the long line ...

"What reason are you visiting Canada?"

I am coming to stay with my husband, who lives and works here.

"How long has he worked in Canada?"

All his working life, he is Canadian.

"When was the last time were are in Canada?"

3 weeks ago.

The officer then looked through my passport for the last stamp which was October 2007.

I explained I was here for a long time as I have a PR application that is still in process, at AIP stage and that I have an open work permit.

"When does your work permit expire?"

January 2011

Fine, I hope your PR application doesn't take too much longer.

PHEW!!

I don't take lightly my decision to take such a risk, and wouldn't recommend doing it to anyone - I think I was very lucky.

Thanks again for the support and kind words - hopefully my PR doesn't take too much longer!

Karen
Welcome home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.