advice on open work permit

Old Aug 13th 2016, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

SGB11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice on open work permit

Hello all,

Could anyone please help me on open work permits. I would love to go to Canada with my family for 12 months to give my wife and kids the chance to experience the life style to see if it's something they want. We have done an open medical and done the language test in preparation to get a head start. We live in Scotland now, and I am a welder with management experience.
Is this possible to do without a job offer??

Many thanks in advance
Old Aug 13th 2016, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on open work permit

If you're British and no older than 30, potentially Yes

If you're an Irish citizen and no older than 35, potentially Yes

It's possible with other citizenships too but eligibility varies according to country.

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 13th 2016 at 5:46 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Sorry should have said, I'm 39.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SGB11
Sorry should have said, I'm 39.
How old is your wife and what does/can she do?
Old Aug 13th 2016, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

My wife is 33, she has worked as a chamber maid, and currently has her own small catering business. Thanks for your time, it's appreciated
Old Aug 13th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife is 33, she has worked as a chamber maid, and currently has her own small catering business. Thanks for your time, it's appreciated
And she doesn't have or couldn't get Irish citizenship?
Old Aug 13th 2016, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

No she is a full English 😁
Old Aug 14th 2016, 1:53 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely without a job offer. However as a welder you have a good head start. You would need prove 9000 hours experience and challenge the inter provincial exam to qualify. So long as you are not picky where you go, getting a job as a welder is a possibility.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks was thinking I need to find a job offer first now. It's BC we are looking at as I have a network of friends and distant family all ready there. Looks like Im on the job hunt now 😁
Old Aug 14th 2016, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks was thinking I need to find a job offer first now. It's BC we are looking at as I have a network of friends and distant family all ready there. Looks like Im on the job hunt now � ����
As above, you're too old for an open work permit (Working Holiday Visa scheme) unfortunately.

So your only option (unless you qualify for PR - but it sounds like you only want to go temporarily anyway) is to apply for a 'normal' Temp Work Permit.

For this you need a written job offer, and a LMIA. The LMIA is something that the employer has to apply for, it will cost them $1000, and to get it they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada (for at least 4 weeks) and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job.

Once you've got the job offer and LMIA, you can then apply for a work permit.

Worth noting that you don't need a medical for a Temp Work Permit, and that it will expire after a year anyway, so I wouldn't recommend you get your families medicals done unless you are actually applying for PR. You'll probably have to have yours redone when the times comes. You also don't need IELTS for a work permit, but I assume that was done just in case you decide to apply for PR?

Best of luck to you, hope you can find something.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Yes thanks, I got everything done as I thought maybe the best route to go was express entry, but I thought I might be better to try it temp to give the family a chance to see if it was for them. If I get a job offer do you think I am as well going for the express entry from the start as I have done the IELTs and got medicals done already? again thanks for all your input as I fell I'm starting to round in circles!
Old Aug 14th 2016, 10:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thanks, I got everything done as I thought maybe the best route to go was express entry, but I thought I might be better to try it temp to give the family a chance to see if it was for them. If I get a job offer do you think I am as well going for the express entry from the start as I have done the IELTs and got medicals done already? again thanks for all your input as I fell I'm starting to round in circles!
Express Entry would be a good route, if you score enough on the CRS (you'll need to be above approx 450-480 as a minimum). If not, then you'll need the job offer and LMIA to get your points up enough anyway, so you may as well go over on a TWP first and then apply for PR once there. Most employers won't wait the 6 months or so for you to get PR before you can start work (on top of the time the LMIA takes), so they'll want you over sooner and the TWP will do that.

Your medical won't be of use until you actually get an ITA and have to submit an application, so do be prepared to have to have that redone, as by the time you've got your provincial licensing sorted and found a job offer, it's likely to have expired.

If you've not found it yet, there's a great Job Hunting section of the Wiki with loads of useful advice in it.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 14th 2016 at 10:47 am.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much, lots to consider and I'll definitely go check out the job section.

Kind regards.