Advice Needed...A LOT

Old Aug 31st 2013, 10:39 pm
ST1
Just Joined

ST1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed...A LOT

Hey Guys, new on here, so hello first of all lol.

I'm hoping someone can help with this, I'm probably dreading myself up more than needed lol.

To start off with, about 2 years ago now, I had a holiday to Canada planned etc to meet my girlfriend, when I arrived there (and to cut the story short) it turned out she didn't live there and I was denied entry into Canada (on that basis) but I left voluntarily etc.

I'm planning to return with my mother as birthday gift for her in January, and I'm pretty nervous that I won't be let in, I'm not sure what documents we will need, we are only staying for about 5 days.

Passport (obviously)
Return flight tickets
Enough funds (we'll have about $3500)
Letters from our employers back in the UK
(Not sure what else to take, any advice would be great)
I also have the original report filed by the Border Agent, would it be a good idea to take this?

Now to the other side, my friend in Canada has offered me the chance of a job, boss there wants to give me a short trial to see how I do and to get a feel for the place (unpaid as it'll only be about an hour) the dilemma is, I have no experience in this line of work (it's a construction trade, I have experience in construction, just not this trade) but since my friends works there it's gone in my favor (maybe), now applying for a work permit I'm going to assume will be unsuccessful as I have no experience in the work,

Is there any chance that a work permit can be arranged more so from the employer once I'm in the country? Ideally I would love to relocate to Canada since I have a few friends there, more so If I have a job etc. In general any advice anyone can provide me would be a great help, I'm still worried about the holiday! lol

Thanks guys.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed...A LOT

The employer will need to apply for an LMO unless you qualify under the FSWT programme which appears you would not.
As long as you are admissible then the previous incident wont be a factor based on the length of stay and return ticket.
Under NO circumstances accept any pay for any amount of work even if a trial as you are bordering on working illegally.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 10:57 pm
ST1
Just Joined

Thank you.

Do I need to be qualified as such for the employer to get a positive LMO for me? Or do the qualifications (work related) not matter as much?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ST1
Thank you.

Do I need to be qualified as such for the employer to get a positive LMO for me? Or do the qualifications (work related) not matter as much?
Depending on the job description and duties my guess there will be some form of qualifications/experience required especially for foreign workers. A job title might help narrow it down as there are hundreds of professions with similar job descriptions.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ST1
Thank you.

Hi, if you are qualified in construction (but not in the trade that is offered, as I understood it), maybe it would be better to go that route on your own and not rely on a favor?

Also, which Province are you looking at going? There might be other options out there?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE

You haven't mentioned how old you are, but if you are under 31 it may be worth your while looking into the IEC working holiday visa. It doesn't open again until December/January (and you will need to be quick off the mark as places go very quickly) but it would enable you to work in Canada for a year (with the option to apply for a 2nd year if you still qualify). If you already had a job lined up then theoretically you could apply for PR under the Canadian Experience Class after the year - which requires you to work in a skilled profession for 12 months in Canada before applying - and once you have approval, you could apply for a bridging work permit - that is where the 2nd IEC would help.

Other than that, you could look into Provincial Nomination - depending on the Province some require just a job offer or even no job at all, others require work experience in Canada or qualifications in the job you are hoping to do. It's worth having a look at the various Provincial Programs, and you can find them here: http://www.rtobc.com/Apprenticeship_...lectrician.htm

There is also the Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) Stream: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/index.asp

Regarding entry into Canada, listen to Former Lancastrian as he is a BSO (one of the people who would decide whether you were able to enter or not) and knows what he is talking about when it comes to entering Canada.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 1st 2013 at 12:15 am.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:35 am
ST1
Just Joined

I'm 21.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The main thing that's the worry is actually getting in for the holiday. Like I said, last time I went has bee playing on my mind, but if it's not an issue as to regards of being allowed entry this time then it is a bit more easing.

I think the company would (ideally) like to take me on as a trainee so I could do a bit of everything, but again not sure how that would work in terms of work permits etc.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:20 am
Just Joined

taylor26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ST1
I'm 21.

The main thing that's the worry is actually getting in for the holiday. Like I said, last time I went has bee playing on my mind, but if it's not an issue as to regards of being allowed entry this time then it is a bit more easing.

I think the company would (ideally) like to take me on as a trainee so I could do a bit of everything, but again not sure how that would work in terms of work permits etc.

Hey st1

I was in the same boat as you ,2010 got denied fora stupid reason,left on my own accord....just like you...returned 2 days later....been here ever since......long story on the whole process...

However to put it short. When you turn up at arrivals passport control , as he scans your passport your history will come up on the computer... Now these guys are smart....he will ask you the general question....what are you here for ...blah blah and then he will say, have you ever been to Canada before......"yes". ...have yo ever been denied entry before....(do not under no circumstance lie).... Just say yes and explain what happened........I know how you are feeling mate, just be honest, as they know everything anyway and are just waiting for yo to say it.

It will not be a problem, as you are only coming for 5 days, I was coming for 6 months and they questioned me for 4 hours and checked my bags etc..nightmare.

Have fun on your trip, does not get any better than this place.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:31 am
ST1
Just Joined

Originally Posted by taylor26
Hey st1

I was in the same boat as you ,2010 got denied fora stupid reason,left on my own accord....just like you...returned 2 days later....been here ever since......long story on the whole process...

However to put it short. When you turn up at arrivals passport control , as he scans your passport your history will come up on the computer... Now these guys are smart....he will ask you the general question....what are you here for ...blah blah and then he will say, have you ever been to Canada before......"yes". ...have yo ever been denied entry before....(do not under no circumstance lie).... Just say yes and explain what happened........I know how you are feeling mate, just be honest, as they know everything anyway and are just waiting for yo to say it.

It will not be a problem, as you are only coming for 5 days, I was coming for 6 months and they questioned me for 4 hours and checked my bags etc..nightmare.

Have fun on your trip, does not get any better than this place.

Hope so mate. I was questioned for about 6 hours at the time (not continuous lol) I was giving the option to appeal etc but just wanted to get back home at the time and forget about it all. They'll end up asking me who the person was etc I would assume (to be honest I've tried to forget as much as I can about it all)

Like I said, the officer put in his report that he believed I had been mislead etc, so hopefully it runs a bit smoother. I just think with going back to the same Airport they might assume the same.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 2:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ST1
I'm 21.

You won't be able to get a normal temporary work permit as a trainee, unfortunately.

Your best bet is to apply for an International Experience Canada working holiday visa in December/January. Once you have been accepted, you have up to a year to activate it and can work for a year - so you can go and work where ever you like at what ever you like - it's an open work permit. You can apply again for a 2nd one which should give you plenty of time to find a way to remain, if you want to.

Be aware though that there are limited places and a mad rush to take them, so you need to be ready and organised for when it opens - apply for your ACPO police certificate at the beginning of December as you will need it.

Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:38 am
ST1
Just Joined

My mother is also a diabetic so she will have medication with her at the time, would it be a good idea to get a letter from her doctor just to say that it's a legal prescription etc just to save some time?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:49 pm
ST1
Just Joined

A quick question if anyone has had experience of it, I'm thinking of taking my Laptop and Ipad on the flight (DVD's & Games) but I've read a few bad experiences from people who had their laptops searched,confiscated,had to hand out passwords etc, there was even one who had thought that Customs had put a program on his/her computer to see what they were doing lol.

Is it really this much hassle or do they just check to make sure there's nothing on that shouldn't be? I'm going to assume they don't read your personal emails etc?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ST1
A quick question if anyone has had experience of it, I'm thinking of taking my Laptop and Ipad on the flight (DVD's & Games) but I've read a few bad experiences from people who had their laptops searched,confiscated,had to hand out passwords etc, there was even one who had thought that Customs had put a program on his/her computer to see what they were doing lol.

Is it really this much hassle or do they just check to make sure there's nothing on that shouldn't be? I'm going to assume they don't read your personal emails etc?
You would assume wrong.

If they pull you in for secondary processing/interview at the border then they have the right to examine everything on your phone, laptop etc., to ensure you have no evidence on it that would imply your intent to remain in Canada or do anything 'illegal'.

If you refuse to hand over your passwords then they can confiscate your equipment.

You may want to read this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=laptop

Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ST1

Dependent on the circumstances regarding the examination personal emails and folders can be read in other words they can look at anything on a laptop or any other electronic device including smart phones etc. As for giving up passwords if you elect not to then the device will be held for further examination which means going several days/weeks without it. Several court rulings have been made in regards to this so the Im going to sue you and call a lawyer just falls on deaf ears.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:32 pm
ST1
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dependent on the circumstances regarding the examination personal emails and folders can be read in other words they can look at anything on a laptop or any other electronic device including smart phones etc. As for giving up passwords if you elect not to then the device will be held for further examination which means going several days/weeks without it. Several court rulings have been made in regards to this so the Im going to sue you and call a lawyer just falls on deaf ears.

Lol I don't think I would have the guts to say I would sue them lol.

Think I'll just leave them at home if it could cause hassle. As an example though, If I take my Ipad and they check my email (My Ipad only shows the most recent 60 emails) would they ask to see my full email account on one of their computers? Or is it just a quick check of the email on the device and if they are satisfied then left at that?

It's the same with my mobile phone, i lost my last one on holiday so as a rule since then the only one I take with me only has emergency contact numbers (Dad,Grandma,my House phone number,work etc) would this come across as suspicious since the text and email outbox will be empty?

Really appreciate all the advice guys, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.