Advice following IEC

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

IanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really nice
Default Advice following IEC

Hey guys,

So I applied for an IEC which was granted in 2012, enabling me to live and work in Canada from August 2012 - August 2013. I applied again for an IEC, which was successful this year, which gave me another 12 months. Now I did apply as if I was still in the UK as the whole system was a bit wonky this time round, however I'm not entirely sure that will make a large difference to the question I have.

I am looking to make the move to Canada more permanent than up to August of 2014. I have a good job and enjoy it over here and although I have another 11 months left, want to figure out my options early.

I have the potential of a skilled persons visa from what I've read; currently I have a degree in Criminology and a Master's of Science in Homeland Security and Counter Terrorism. With this being said, I have no direct experience in Canada and am currently seeking security related experience to cover this.

What options do I have to extend my stay past 2014? I believe I will struggle to get another IEC, even with all the problems this year. I also don't exactly know where to start, even though I have looked over the wiki and help pages attached to this site.

If someone could give me some advice that would be great. I'm fortunate in that I have some time on my side, but would like to get the ball rolling sooner than later if there are options available.

Cheers in advance
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice following IEC

A few questions so that people can give you more guidance, if you don't mind. With more than 50 different routes to PR in Canada it helps to have more information.

What kind of work have you been doing since you came to Canada?

Have you worked for a minimum of 12 months in a skilled job in Canada?

Is it possible for you to obtain a permanent full time job offer?

Would your current employers consider nominating you for Provincial Nomination?

Which Province do you live in?

If you are in a semi-skilled job, have you worked for a minimum of 9 months in Canada?

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

IanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really nice

I've been working in a sales position for an education travel company. Although not particularly skilled, I have been in the position for 13 months and would assume over the next 3 months I will be given a more senior position.

I imagine I could get a full time work offer, however I have been looking into the possibility of working within my field; therefor have been looking at fraud and risk management jobs with banks.

I am currently living and working in Ontario

Again I could speak with my bosses, what would a Provincial Nomination mean?

Thank you for any help or advice in advance
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Berzerker is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar situation myself and have been in a skilled position for 12 months in Ontario. Would love to hear what the best option for us would be. I assume CEC?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanT86
I've been working in a sales position for an education travel company. Although not particularly skilled, I have been in the position for 13 months and would assume over the next 3 months I will be given a more senior position.

I imagine I could get a full time work offer, however I have been looking into the possibility of working within my field; therefor have been looking at fraud and risk management jobs with banks.

I am currently living and working in Ontario

Again I could speak with my bosses, what would a Provincial Nomination mean?

Thank you for any help or advice in advance
Unfortunately, for immigration purposes 'sales assistant' wouldn't be classed as a skilled job - so you wouldn't be able to apply for the Canadian Experience Class which requires 12 months work in a skilled position. You can see on the NOC matrix which jobs are classed as skilled - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ml/Matrix.html.

If you could get the offer of a full time, permanent job in one of the A/B/O classes then you could apply as a Federal Skilled Worker (with job offer) -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Provincial Nomination is where your employer nominates you to the Province for Permanent Residency - then once you have received nomination approval you could obtain a TWP whilst your PR application is processed. Again, unfortunately, Ontario is quite hard to apply to and you would need to have the offer of a job that was classed A/O/B http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...NPGENERAL.html

Have a look at the various links and see which, if any, you think you could meet the requirements of. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!

Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Berzerker
Similar situation myself and have been in a skilled position for 12 months in Ontario. Would love to hear what the best option for us would be. I assume CEC?
Please see the links above - though in your case, if your job is classed as skilled you would have more options.

Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Berzerker is an unknown quantity at this point

That's such good news. I will have a look again and try get my head around them. My NOC code 2282 falls into category B if I understand correctly.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Unfortunately, for immigration purposes 'sales assistant' wouldn't be classed as a skilled job - so you wouldn't be able to apply for the Canadian Experience Class which requires 12 months work in a skilled position. You can see on the NOC matrix which jobs are classed as skilled - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ml/Matrix.html.

If you could get the offer of a full time, permanent job in one of the A/B/O classes then you could apply as a Federal Skilled Worker (with job offer) -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Provincial Nomination is where your employer nominates you to the Province for Permanent Residency - then once you have received nomination approval you could obtain a TWP whilst your PR application is processed. Again, unfortunately, Ontario is quite hard to apply to and you would need to have the offer of a job that was classed A/O/B http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...NPGENERAL.html

Have a look at the various links and see which, if any, you think you could meet the requirements of. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah I didn't think my current role in sales would be enough, however I believe (from my quick look over the groups) if I got a job which was more to do with my M.Sc, I'd have a better chance at gaining a skilled visa - specifically looking into working financial security for a bank.

If worst case scenario occurs and I can't get a skilled position, are there other options?

I've started the ball rolling with an application for starting a PhD here, which I know gives me a big advantage in gaining citizenship once I complete the degree. However my ability to do a PhD here (if I get accepted) would come down to the ability to get financial support. I would like to explore this option though.

Maybe one final point - I have competed as a professional Mixed Martial Artist in the UK and could explore this option over here. Does anyone have any experience of applying for a working visa, based on being a pro athlete?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:27 pm
Banned

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah I didn't think my current role in sales would be enough, however I believe (from my quick look over the groups) if I got a job which was more to do with my M.Sc, I'd have a better chance at gaining a skilled visa - specifically looking into working financial security for a bank.

If worst case scenario occurs and I can't get a skilled position, are there other options?

I've started the ball rolling with an application for starting a PhD here, which I know gives me a big advantage in gaining citizenship once I complete the degree. However my ability to do a PhD here (if I get accepted) would come down to the ability to get financial support. I would like to explore this option though.

Maybe one final point - I have competed as a professional Mixed Martial Artist in the UK and could explore this option over here. Does anyone have any experience of applying for a working visa, based on being a pro athlete?
Unfortunately, other than going down the spousal/common law route your options are limited without a skilled job, in Ontario. There are other Provinces that have lower limitations, so if you were prepared to move that could be a possibility.

Doing a PhD here would give you the option for getting a work permit and then CEC (which would give you Permanent Residency, not Citizenship - you need to have lived in Canada for 3 years (a minimum of 2 as a PR) to get that).

Regarding the marshal art - were you self employed at any point? If so, you could (theoretically) apply in that stream. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sp#definitions

in respect of athletics:
two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in athletics; or
two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in athletics; or
a combination of a one-year period of experience described in 1 above; and a one-year period of experience described in 2 above

If you could get the offer of a job as a Mixed Marshal Arts Instructor (if you are qualified?), that would be a "B" classification..

You could take a look at kijiji - there are a few jobs - http://ontario.kijiji.ca/r/jobs-othe...l-art?CatId=62

Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, other than going down the spousal/common law route your options are limited without a skilled job, in Ontario. There are other Provinces that have lower limitations, so if you were prepared to move that could be a possibility.

Doing a PhD here would give you the option for getting a work permit and then CEC (which would give you Permanent Residency, not Citizenship - you need to have lived in Canada for 3 years (a minimum of 2 as a PR) to get that).

Regarding the marshal art - were you self employed at any point? If so, you could (theoretically) apply in that stream. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sp#definitions

in respect of athletics:
two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in athletics; or
two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in athletics; or
a combination of a one-year period of experience described in 1 above; and a one-year period of experience described in 2 above

If you could get the offer of a job as a Mixed Marshal Arts Instructor (if you are qualified?), that would be a "B" classification..

You could take a look at kijiji - there are a few jobs - http://ontario.kijiji.ca/r/jobs-othe...l-art?CatId=62

I can pretty much definitely get a job as an instructor of some form and have some credentials to support this. This could be an interesting route to go down. Although I have not competed in Canada this year, I have trained at some of the best gyms in the world and have some basic coaching experience.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:39 pm
Banned

I can pretty much definitely get a job as an instructor of some form and have some credentials to support this. This could be an interesting route to go down. Although I have not competed in Canada this year, I have trained at some of the best gyms in the world and have some basic coaching experience.
I think your biggest problem is going to be finding an employer who can offer you a full time permanent position as an instructor. If you went the CEC route (after working for a minimum of 12 months) I believe you could have several employers.

"... You must have at least 12 months of full-time, or an equal amount in part-time, skilled work experience. Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week... "

you find a way to stay!

Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

I see.

So for additional clarity: if I get a job that falls into the category of O/A/B and they can provide proof that they'll give me full time, permanent work, do I still need to have worked for 12 months in that job, or in 9 months time send in an application for the visa then? I obviously won't be able to get a full 12 months now as my visa runs out in 11 months.

Thanks for all your help btw
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:10 pm
Banned

I see.

So for additional clarity: if I get a job that falls into the category of O/A/B and they can provide proof that they'll give me full time, permanent work, do I still need to have worked for 12 months in that job, or in 9 months time send in an application for the visa then? I obviously won't be able to get a full 12 months now as my visa runs out in 11 months.

Thanks for all your help btw
You are most welcome.

It would depend which stream you were applying under.

There is the Federal Skilled Worker (with job offer) - once you have the skilled job offer, you do not have to work for any minimum length of time, you just need the contract to apply (provided you meet the other requirements, language etc). Once you have that and reach 1st stage approval (AIP), you could apply for a temporary work permit (bridging open work permit) - you can read more about that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/pe.../permanent.asp

If you wanted to apply under the CEC then you would need to work for a full 12 months in a skilled job.

If you wanted to apply under the Provincial Nomination Program, you would need the offer of a permanent full time skilled job - then you would need your employer to apply to sponsor you - once nominated, you could apply for a TWP (at the border) whilst your PR application is being processed.

So everything hinges on you getting a skilled work offer!

Hope that helps to clarify things? If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

You are most welcome.

It would depend which stream you were applying under.

There is the Federal Skilled Worker (with job offer) - once you have the skilled job offer, you do not have to work for any minimum length of time, you just need the contract to apply (provided you meet the other requirements, language etc). Once you have that and reach 1st stage approval (AIP), you could apply for a temporary work permit (bridging open work permit) - you can read more about that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/pe.../permanent.asp

If you wanted to apply under the CEC then you would need to work for a full 12 months in a skilled job.

If you wanted to apply under the Provincial Nomination Program, you would need the offer of a permanent full time skilled job - then you would need your employer to apply to sponsor you - once nominated, you could apply for a TWP (at the border) whilst your PR application is being processed.

So everything hinges on you getting a skilled work offer!

Hope that helps to clarify things? If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Oh ok perfect, that makes things easier. So if - for example - I was offered a full time coaching job from a gym, which falls under category B, would I then be able to apply for a Federal Skilled Worker (with job offer). I ask this as this would be my last resort, but one I could probably get if I had too.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:41 pm
Banned

Oh ok perfect, that makes things easier. So if - for example - I was offered a full time coaching job from a gym, which falls under category B, would I then be able to apply for a Federal Skilled Worker (with job offer). I ask this as this would be my last resort, but one I could probably get if I had too.
Provided you met all the requirements, theoretically yes.

However, you must have worked for a minimum of a year somewhere doing the same job - so if you have worked in the UK doing that for a year (can be accumulative - several part time jobs) then you would qualify.

"... at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience in a single occupation, within the last 10 years, at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC)... "

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 4th 2013 at 6:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.