Advice Before Moving To Canada

Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Games95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Before Moving To Canada

Hi Everyone,

So for the last few years I've been thinking about emigrating to Canada (and down under..), but I'd like to know if anyone has some advice for me on how to emigrate, what are my chances in your opinion and what pathways are there to do so. So a bit about me, I'm 22 and currently in university just finishing off my degree in Electrical Engineering with a year's placement at TATA and will probably end up doing a Masters in my field after this year.

I've been saving up some cash for hopefully when I have to move but I have some questions about employment, these are: Is it perfectly okay to apply to a to a Canadian company without having any visa or work rights prior? Would it be best to find a job in the UK where after a few years I can internally transfer? Would a Canadian employer ignore my application as I'm in the UK and have no working standing or do companies actually like the foreign interest? Should I get a visa before hand, but then saying that am I more likely to get a visa if I have a valid job offer?

As you can see I'm a little confused about my options as there are plenty to chose from, so if anyone has gone down a similar route could you please let me know and if there's anymore information let me know! I do not want to spend the rest of my life in Wales....

Thanks!
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Before Moving To Canada

Originally Posted by Games95
Is it perfectly okay to apply to a to a Canadian company without having any visa or work rights prior?
Its ok but usually unsuccessfully. Most Canadian employers will only consider applications from those with legal rights to work in Canada.

Would it be best to find a job in the UK where after a few years I can internally transfer?
This is one way of doing it (in fact I did something similar). However, to use the company transfer route you either need to have special technical and propertiery knowledge or be senior management. As such you would need to bargain on probably 5+ years before being successful. Also companies only tend to transfer people who have put the time into the company.

Would a Canadian employer ignore my application as I'm in the UK and have no working standing or do companies actually like the foreign interest?
As above

Should I get a visa before hand, but then saying that am I more likely to get a visa if I have a valid job offer?
As above

Given your age the best bet would be a IEC work permit (working holiday). This give you a 2 year open work permit in Canada. If you enjoy it and qualify you can use it as a stepping stone to permanent residency. Note the IEC scheme is a lottery so you may or may not be successful in any given year but you have till you are 30 and can try each year.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Games95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Before Moving To Canada

That's brilliant thanks for the information! Still early days yet so I have some time to sort and plan things out! Cheers once again!