Wikiposts

Adoption Certificate

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adoption Certificate

Hi
When we eventually apply for PR, I have noticed from other threads that you need to provide details of parents and siblings.
I only have an adoption certificate which details neither parent.
Does anyone know if this will suffice. Do I let them have details of my parents who have brought me up since I was weeks old. They are my mum and dad.
Would I need any other information. I have never tried to see what was before my parents and now I feel a bit apprehensive.
Tina
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

tommy_mcl is just really nicetommy_mcl is just really nicetommy_mcl is just really nicetommy_mcl is just really nicetommy_mcl is just really nicetommy_mcl is just really nicetommy_mcl is just really nicetommy_mcl is just really nice
Default Re: Adoption Certificate

Hi

My wife was in the same position and she was only required to provide an "abbreviated birth certificate" - I think this is what it is called i.e. no reference to birth parents
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy_mcl
Hi

My wife was in the same position and she was only required to provide an "abbreviated birth certificate" - I think this is what it is called i.e. no reference to birth parents
Thank you Tommy,
I really hope so because I just dont want to know anything before
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:22 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by albertabound
Hi
When we eventually apply for PR, I have noticed from other threads that you need to provide details of parents and siblings.
I only have an adoption certificate which details neither parent.
Does anyone know if this will suffice. Do I let them have details of my parents who have brought me up since I was weeks old. They are my mum and dad.
Would I need any other information. I have never tried to see what was before my parents and now I feel a bit apprehensive.
Tina
1. You were adopted, so your adoptive parents are listed are your parents. The adoption servers all ties with your natural parents.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. You were adopted, so your adoptive parents are listed are your parents. The adoption servers all ties with your natural parents.
Thank you
Tina x
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Your Adoption Certificate takes the place of your original Birth Certificate & the Birth Certificate then becomes invalid, this I was told when obtaining a copy of my husbands Adoption Certificate.

Edit - Noticed that you have an Adoption Certificate without your parents details on which is what my husband had always had. CIC actually wanted an Adoption Certificate with parents details on. Can't remember who I rang (got number from Yellow Pages - looked under Registrars & Certificates if I remember rightly) & got a copy of his adoption Certificate (£35) with his parents details on - it's exactly the same as a Birth Certificate. If you can't find where to ring, i'll have a look for you & then PM you - won't be until tomorrow as off to dog agility training soon.

All the best

Last edited by Arris; Jan 13th 2009 at 4:36 am. Reason: Adding info
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arris
Your Adoption Certificate takes the place of your original Birth Certificate & the Birth Certificate then becomes invalid, this I was told when obtaining a copy of my husbands Adoption Certificate.

Edit - Noticed that you have an Adoption Certificate without your parents details on which is what my husband had always had. CIC actually wanted an Adoption Certificate with parents details on. Can't remember who I rang (got number from Yellow Pages - looked under Registrars & Certificates if I remember rightly) & got a copy of his adoption Certificate (£35) with his parents details on - it's exactly the same as a Birth Certificate. If you can't find where to ring, i'll have a look for you & then PM you - won't be until tomorrow as off to dog agility training soon.

All the best
Thanks for that, I thought the one I had would not be sufficient. I think it could be somewhere in Southport that I apply to.
Tina
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I thought the one I had would not be sufficient. I think it could be somewhere in Southport that I apply to.
Tina
I rang them & did it all over the phone - ever so easy just gave them my Hubbies details DOB, parents names that sort of thing - arrived about a week later.

Southport rings a bell - let me know if not, i'm sure the details are in our ever expanding pile of paperwork for Canada

Arris
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I rang them & did it all over the phone - ever so easy just gave them my Hubbies details DOB, parents names that sort of thing - arrived about a week later.

Southport rings a bell - let me know if not, i'm sure the details are in our ever expanding pile of paperwork for Canada

Arris
Thanks Arris, will do
Tina
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Effectively invalid for most purposes, but not invalid in the sense that you mean it. For example, a person born in Canada and then adopted by foreign parents, remains a Canadian citizen.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tina
Hi Albertabound,

Yes it is Southport General Register Office - just fished out the paperwork. Telephone number is 0845 603 7788

Hubby has his Adoption Order which has his parents details on at the time of his adoption (their address, Dads profession etc.). I used this to give them information when I rang them for a copy of his Adoption Certificate with his parents details on but don't worry if you don't have it as it wasn't essential.

And it was £23 for a copy - not £35 (got mixed up with some qualification certificate copies)

Arris
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Effectively invalid for most purposes, but not invalid in the sense that you mean it. For example, a person born in Canada and then adopted by foreign parents, remains a Canadian citizen.
Thanks for your comment JAJ

I was going by the man I spoke to at the Southport General Office who was very knowledgeable on the matter, his actual words were, "the Birth Certificate is not worth the paper it's written on & no longer recognized once there is an Adoption Certificate", a little harsh maybe but it made it perfectly clear.

Arris
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:55 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

hi. our son is adpoted; he came to us at five years old, so i do have a copy of his birth certificate with his birth parents details on. however, when we went through court to 'adopt' him by law, we got an ammended birth certificate, with us as his 'parents'. it has no reference to his 'birth parents' and it completly wipes out his original birth certificate. by law, we are his parents and that's all anybody who asks, ever needs to know......you do NOT have to declare who his 'birth parents' are to anyone........he is 'yours'......good luck hunny. x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comment JAJ

I was going by the man I spoke to at the Southport General Office who was very knowledgeable on the matter, his actual words were, "the Birth Certificate is not worth the paper it's written on & no longer recognized once there is an Adoption Certificate", a little harsh maybe but it made it perfectly clear.

Arris
Someone may expresses an opinion confidently and loudly, but it does not necessarily mean that such opinion is correct, or applicable in every context.

Of course, it is up to you whether you wish to accept such statements at face value or do your own research.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

For anyone wanting to know how to obtain a copy of an Adoption Certificate, hope this helps.

This explains perfectly exactly what an Adoption Certificate is - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ad...ates/index.asp

There has also been a change in the way you apply for a copy of an Adoption Certificate as of 1st January 2009, it's explained towards the bottom of this link - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/or...--and--pay.asp

And here's their contact details including telephone number, fax & e-mail - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/co...ns_section.asp

Arris

Last edited by Arris; Jan 15th 2009 at 3:59 am. Reason: Spelling - ooops!