Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Adopted out daughter wants to follow

Adopted out daughter wants to follow

Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

DHKA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adopted out daughter wants to follow

Hi Here's a good one.
my family recently landed in Canada and have PR status, we are back in England until next summer when we permanently go there.
I have been married previously and my daughter from the previous marriage is now 22 was adopted by her step dad years ago.
She desperately wants to come to Canada with us and is wondering if we are in a position to sponsor her to join us once we are permanently there.

hope you can help
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:45 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adopted out daughter wants to follow

Originally Posted by DHKA
Hi Here's a good one.
my family recently landed in Canada and have PR status, we are back in England until next summer when we permanently go there.
I have been married previously and my daughter from the previous marriage is now 22 was adopted by her step dad years ago.
She desperately wants to come to Canada with us and is wondering if we are in a position to sponsor her to join us once we are permanently there.

hope you can help
You can sponsor "dependent children" - it doesnt matter whether or not they are adopted as far as I'm aware (but in any case I presume you are her birth mother so the fact that she was adopted by her step-dad is irrelevant).

So it depends whether she is dependent on you. Here is what the CIC rules say:

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

- is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner
- is a full-time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22) or
- is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

I think I have caused some confusion
I am the natural father
my daughter lived with her mum and was adopted by her mums new husband years ago
My daughter is 22 and not dependent on anybody.

thanks
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DHKA
I think I have caused some confusion
I am the natural father
my daughter lived with her mum and was adopted by her mums new husband years ago
My daughter is 22 and not dependent on anybody.

thanks
My understanding is that, if you named your daughter as a dependent on your PR application and if she had an immigration medical (even if she did not intend to immigrate to Canada and even if she did not actually immigrate to Canada), you can apply to sponsor her once you yourself get back to Canada.

If your daughter did not undergo an immigration medical exam, you cannot sponsor her PR application.

At least that is what I've read on here in the past.

And, by the way, I haven't addressed her age and whether or not she is dependent on anyone. I've only addressed the issue of whether or not you included her on your PR application.
x
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Thanks for reply
she was not including on our PR application and is not dependent on us.
DHKA
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:02 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Page 22 of the guide called Application for Permanent Residence - Federal Skilled Worker Class states:

IMPORTANT! You must list all family members, whether they wish to be considered in your application for permanent residence at this time or not. Also list family members whose location is unknown (including those missing or presumed dead). You will not be able to sponsor family members at a later date if they are not listed on your application.

If your daughter applies for permanent residence, she won't have the benefit of sponsorship, but she will earn five points for adaptability because she'll have family members in Canada.

She also could get a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC between now and the age of 30. If she used that opportunity to work in Canada full-time for a year, she would earn an additional five points for adaptability.

Another option would be for her to apply for a study permit and study in Canada (albeit foreign students are charged much higher tuition than local students). If she studied for at least a couple of years in Canada and followed that up with a year in a skilled job, she would qualify for the Canadian Experience Class, as I understand it. For more information about this, follow the links on CIC's web page entitled Backgrounders - 2008.

Hope that helps.
x